Jaco: Bass players- sell me on this guy

Del_Duio

If you watched the documentary they probably went over the things people are saying. What you need to do now is actually sit down and listen to an album or two. Hearing snippets of songs isn't the best way to get a feel for what a musician is all about.

:goodone: Or watch a full concert. While the material may not always be my cup of tea, his playing sure is...especially when I can see what he's doing. Artistry.
  • Like 1

I think within historical context, the Eddie van halen comparison is spot on. Eddie, like Jaco, was an innovator. He pretty much created a style.. So of course nowadays we take it for granted those techniques he brought to the table 35 years ago. Same with Jaco.. His style influenced so many guys.. Modern bass playing wouldn't be the same without guys like Jaco
  • Like 3

I think within historical context, the Eddie van halen comparison is spot on. Eddie, like Jaco, was an innovator. He pretty much created a style.. So of course nowadays we take it for granted those techniques he brought to the table 35 years ago. Same with Jaco.. His style influenced so many guys.. Modern bass playing wouldn't be the same without guys like Jaco

:goodone:

:yes:

• Like 1

First heard Jaco on Joni's Don Juan lp and was hugelly impressed even though at the time I was not a huge fan of this type of music.Of course I grew to love his music and his phenomenal playing.But it is musicians music.People get twitchy when i put it on.A bass player friend of mine can't see what all the fuss is about him and he is not a young whipsnapper, he is 62,and can't see past Hendrix,Cream,Zep,blues,etc.He also loves Metalica and actually said to me why would Rob Trujello waste his time on the project.I have played him Jaco's most amazing playing and the most I will get out of him is it's good but......?
  • Like 2

First heard Jaco on Joni's Don Juan lp and was hugelly impressed even though at the time I was not a huge fan of this type of music.Of course I grew to love his music and his phenomenal playing.But it is musicians music.People get twitchy when i put it on.A bass player friend of mine can't see what all the fuss is about him and he is not a young whipsnapper, he is 62,and can't see past Hendrix,Cream,Zep,blues,etc.He also loves Metalica and actually said to me why would Rob Trujello waste his time on the project.I have played him Jaco's most amazing playing and the most I will get out of him is it's good but......?

Some people can't recognize or understand good musicianship unless it's in a genre they like. That's not a cut down but it seems to be the way some people are wired.

• Like 2

Not sure where the comparisons to Eddie Van Halen come from - Eddie did things that no one ever did, built a guitar from a pile of spare parts and revolutionized the way the instrument was approached ..

How did Jaco revolutionize the way bass was approached ?? .. Guys from Paul Chambers to Chris Squire to John Entwistle to Charles Mingus, Stanley Clarke, Ron Carter - they all did amazing and innovative stuff before Jaco ..

Jaco was an excellent bassist, but let's not get carried away

He's not in the same league as Eddie as far as impact

Not sure where the comparisons to Eddie Van Halen come from - Eddie did things that no one ever did, built a guitar from a pile of spare parts and revolutionized the way the instrument was approached ..

How did Jaco revolutionize the way bass was approached ?? .. Guys from Paul Chambers to Chris Squire to John Entwistle to Charles Mingus, Stanley Clarke, Ron Carter - they all did amazing and innovative stuff before Jaco ..

Well to be fair, Eddie influenced a lot of dopey bedroom shredder spandex wearing guys, whereas Jaco influenced guys who went to Berklee.

• Like 3

Del, at this point I'd like to remind you not to take any info from the non-bass players seriously. As we always like to say:

"If the opinion ain't one of the bass playing musician, it ain't worth SHIT!!!"

"It's just a matter of opinion!"

http://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/1993/article/les-claypool-of-primus-19930902/180402/large_rect/1421098637/1401x788-99174562.jpg

• Like 1

Del, at this point I'd like to remind you not to take any info from the non-bass players seriously. As we always like to say:

"If the opinion ain't one of the bass playing musician, it ain't worth SHIT!!!"

"It's just a matter of opinion!"

http://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/1993/article/les-claypool-of-primus-19930902/180402/large_rect/1421098637/1401x788-99174562.jpg

Dude!

Check out these relatively unknown Korean bass players!

To say the very least, they hold a candle to Claypool:

.. and no one is ever going to say Eddie is the Jaco Pastorius of guitar

Replace that with any bass player and the statement is true.

Is that a comment on Eddie's greatness, or, the notion that bass is the red headed stepchild ?

Well to be fair, Eddie influenced a lot of dopey bedroom shredder spandex wearing guys, whereas Jaco influenced guys who went to Berklee.

I think you are underestimating Eddie's impact, and over estimating the relevance of schooling and musicians

I think you are underestimating Eddie's impact, and over estimating the relevance of schooling and musicians

I'm well aware of eddies impact. Im one of his biggest fans here on TRF. But Jaco is like Coltrane and Miles Davis.. In sorry, but as influential as Eddie is, and yes, many great, respected rock players name check him, he brought about a lot of terrible sunset strip hair metal Eddie wanna bes.. In the world of music, Jaco is much more revered and respected.. Jazz guys will

Always win out over rock guys in that world

• Like 3

.. and no one is ever going to say Eddie is the Jaco Pastorius of guitar

Replace that with any bass player and the statement is true.

Is that a comment on Eddie's greatness, or, the notion that bass is the red headed stepchild ?

Both, I suppose. And a comment on Eddie's broader musical appeal, which makes the statement a bit of a non-sequitor, I think.

I'm well aware of eddies impact. Im one of his biggest fans here on TRF. But Jaco is like Coltrane and Miles Davis.. In sorry, but as influential as Eddie is, and yes, many great, respected rock players name check him, he brought about a lot of terrible sunset strip hair metal Eddie wanna bes.. In the world of music, Jaco is much more revered and respected.. Jazz guys will

What world are we talking about ?? .. Jazz guys who place false importance on a meaningless degree and base relevance on education ??

If that's the case, then why bother with Jaco, and go directly to Paganini or Antonio Vivaldi ?

There are as many reasons why a particular musician is considered great as there are people who listen - each musician brings their own story to the music, as does each listener ..

Les Paul dropped out of high school, Hendrix never finished high school, Chuck Berry got his high school diploma while in prison and Eddie is Eddie .... I'll take those four on my Mt Rushmore of importance over any overblown Berklee educated bore

What world are we talking about ?? .. Jazz guys who place false importance on a meaningless degree and base relevance on education ??

If that's the case, then why bother with Jaco, and go directly to Paganini or Antonio Vivaldi ?

There are as many reasons why a particular musician is considered great as there are people who listen - each musician brings their own story to the music, as does each listener ..

Les Paul dropped out of high school, Hendrix never finished high school, Chuck Berry got his high school diploma while in prison and Eddie is Eddie .... I'll take those four on my Mt Rushmore of importance over any overblown Berklee educated bore

Jazz musicians tend to be (on average) better musicians.

• Like 1

Based on what ?

In this case, we were talking about Jaco's impact on not simply the bass guitar, but the music world

Jaco did not, does not, and never will have the impact that Eddie did .. or Hendrix .. or Les Paul

He's a good bassist, and he is revered in a tight little group, but he didn't turn any world on it's head like Eddie did

All I know is, my wife bought me a book years ago on the 50 greatest "guitarists" of all time and Jaco was listed. I saw his name and thought "who the hell is that?". I read his story a bit and was intrigued enough about his ultimate demise to watch his documentary on Netflix. He does do some pretty impressive playing in that film but, as EagleMoon pointed out earlier, he just didn't play a genre of music that I find interesting.

Based on what ?

In this case, we were talking about Jaco's impact on not simply the bass guitar, but the music world

Jaco did not, does not, and never will have the impact that Eddie did .. or Hendrix .. or Les Paul

He's a good bassist, and he is revered in a tight little group, but he didn't turn any world on it's head like Eddie did

You're comparing apples or oranges. Jaco didn't play guitar, which was already an instrument used for solo and independent compositions. He helped bring the instrument to the forefront in music, not just something thumping in the background.

Let's forget what I said about Berklee. I place no significance on a musician who is schooled. My point is that Jaco wrote music that appealed to mostly musicians. Get 10 musicians in a room and tell them Eddie had more impact than Jaco, and you'd get laughed at.. Again, HUGE Eddie fan.. But Jaco is on another level

Edited by Xanadoood
  • Like 1

Let's forget what I said about Berklee. I place no significance on a musician who is schooled. My point is that Jaco wrote music that appealed to mostly musicians. Get 10 musicians in a room and tell them Eddie had more impact than Jaco, and you'd get laughed at.. Again, HUGE Eddie fan.. But Jaco is on another level

I disagree with the notion that any 10 musicians would scoff at Eddie's impact compared to Jaco .. Personal preference and taste - that's one thing - but even if a musician isn't standing there in tiger striped spandex, I think most who understand would fully acknowledge Eddie Van Halen and his place not only in guitar history, but music history ..

Again, it's personal taste .. and I don't want to disparage Jaco and his music - for example, I love Al Di Meola - and have seen him about a dozen times with his band, with the Paco and John McLaughlin and with Return To Forever - but as good as Al is, he no Eddie in terms of what he brought to the table, and the electricity he created .. Not to mention the songs - that is a big thing in my book ....

It's not easy removing the "hero" tag and writing a great song - just listen to Al D's "I Can Tell" .....

It's all good though

( it's just that Eddie was a little more good ;)

Based on what ?

You're comparing apples or oranges. Jaco didn't play guitar, which was already an instrument used for solo and independent compositions. He helped bring the instrument to the forefront in music, not just something thumping in the background.

And this sort of makes my point even more so ( even though I disagree that pre Jaco, bass was strictly a background instrument )

There were guitar heroes out there, dating back decades - and guitar is not only considered a lead instrument, but also a songwriting tool ..

There is a big difference between standing out when there is a crowd around and standing out when your instrument is traditionally in the background ..

Eddie blew the doors off an established room, a room that was occupied by Clapton, Page, Blackmore, Beck, Hendrix, etc - Those are icons, and a 22 year old kid with a piece of junk homemade guitar humbled all of them ..

The way guitar was approached was changed forever

And in some cases ( Billy Sheehan ), the way bass was approached too

In fact, an argument could be made that Victor Wooten owes as much to Eddie as anyone

Edited by Lucas