2016-17 College Football Thread

I hope to hell I'm wrong, but I'm going to call it early. 'Bama beats Clemson in the playoff final.

Really going out on a limb there. :LOL: I hope you're wrong, too. :cheers:

More on the EWU Eagles' win...

Gage Gubrud finished 21 for 32 for 287 yards and three touchdowns, all three in the first half, to lead the second-seeded Eagles past Richmond 38-0 in the FCS quarterfinals on Saturday.

EWU forced five turnovers and scored on all five trips to the red zone.

Samson Ebukam finished with eight tackles (four for loss), an interception and a forced fumble and Cooper Kupp had six receptions for 128 yards and a touchdown for the Eagles. Kupp became college football's all-time leading receiver with 6,284 yards, passing Chris George of NAIA Glenville State (1991-1994).

:dweez:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2016/12/10/eastern-washington-rolls-over-richmond-38-0/95285390/

• Like 1

Heisman trophy winner awarded to a player from a 3 loss team, that didn't win their division and didn't make the playoff.

Obviously, college football is now a beauty pageant and not a meritocracy.

Pathetic is more like it.

Heisman trophy winner awarded to a player from a 3 loss team, that didn't win their division and didn't make the playoff.

Why is it a requirement that the best player must be on the roster of one of the best teams in a power conference?

• Like 2

Why is it a requirement that the best player must be on the roster of one of the best teams in a power conference?

More talented competition.

Would it make more sense to reward merely above average play from a merely above average player who was recruited into a great system in a power conference over a player that developed into an outstanding athlete and elevated a mediocre team to an excellent one in a mid-level conference?

Jackson ultimately won the Heisman going away, with 2,144 points to Watson's 1,524. By percentage of possible points received, Jackson's victory was the seventh largest in Heisman history.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2016/12/11/lousivilles-lamar-jackson-wins-heisman-trophy.html

• Like 1

Would it make more sense to reward merely above average play from a merely above average player who was recruited into a great system in a power conference over a player that developed into an outstanding athlete and elevated a mediocre team to an excellent one in a mid-level conference?

Who is the above average player? BTW, I don't know much about the guy who won and I don't really care. Congrats. to him.

The best player may not have the best competition. Even if that had anything to do with who the best player is, then a player on a midling SEC team should have a chance, which they don't. There's little question that at one time Jerry Rice and Walter Payton were the best college players, even if their competition wasn't.

• Like 2

Louisville lost to 2 pretty good teams and 1 great team while beating some pretty good teams, one of which F$U, they positively killed. He deserved it and that was evident in the voting.

• Like 1

Meanwhile, in the Division 2 football playoffs...

http://www.ncaa.com/...nd-eastern-wash

Eastern Washington shuts out Richmond 38-0!

http://nwelitesports.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/easternwa.png

That field is an eyesore. More so the Boise State, imo.

It's a little ridiculous. :LOL:

I can't watch a Boise State home game. Hurts my head. :facepalm:

• Like 2

Well, since this is a RUSH forum...

• Like 1

Well, since this is a RUSH forum...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8avwgsp159c

:LOL:

This Ohio State vs Michigan battle and controversy surrounding Barrett's fourth down conversion and Harbaugh's after game tirade, gave me a instant flash back as a kid . The 1973 game when the #1 Buckeyes and #4 Wolverines played to a 10-10 tie(no overtime then) Everyone thought Michigan dominated both sides of the ball but waiting on pins & needles for the Big Ten athletic directors to decide who was going to the Rose bowl January 1st.. Picked in favor of the Buckeyes made the breaking news across the state of Ohio . Me and my dad were jubilant national news news conference followed shortly with Wolverine head coach Bo Schembechler giving angry speech of disgust about the directors decision.. I guess it's true.."More things change the more they stay the same.." :P

Then there's the Suckeyes beating Miami in the Orange Bowl when they score after a 'Caines PI penalty that never happened.

Obviously it did. :LOL:

Miami had opportunity after the "penalty" and the Buckeyes defense slammed the door, game over.. :yes:

Washington State plays Minnesota today in the Holiday One of the game's stories is whether it will be the last college game that WSU QB Luke Falk plays. Falk is a red-shirt junior this year, but is projected as the third QB to be selected should he choose to enter the NFL draft. So...should he stay or should he go?

I say follow the money and leave for the NFL. WSU has had a great year, finishing 4th and making the playoff. At this point, there's really not much more Falk could accomplish as a college quarterback, so why risk injury - and losing all that money - by playing another year for WSU?

Agree or disagree?

• Like 1

Washington State plays Minnesota today in the Holiday One of the game's stories is whether it will be the last college game that WSU QB Luke Falk plays. Falk is a red-shirt junior this year, but is projected as the third QB to be selected should he choose to enter the NFL draft. So...should he stay or should he go?

I say follow the money and leave for the NFL. WSU has had a great year, finishing 4th and making the playoff. At this point, there's really not much more Falk could accomplish as a college quarterback, so why risk injury - and losing all that money - by playing another year for WSU?

Agree or disagree?

I have no problem with kids sitting out the bowl games. Meaningless. Look at that kid from Notre Dame last year, Jalen Smith I think was his name...Projected Top 5 pick, knee explodes in the Fiesta Bowl....Dallas takes him in the 2nd round, has not played a down in 2016. Has permanent nerve damage and by all accounts, career is over.

Fournette and McCaffery are doing the right thing. This will never be addressed until a kid, who WON this Heisman, is on a team in the College Football Playoff Ranked #1 and is 13-0 decides.....NA, I'm good

But when you are playing in the Zaxby's Ponzi Scheme Bowl at 11AM on a Tuesday.....Yeah.....sit it out, 1000%

Agree or disagree?

I have no problem with kids sitting out the bowl games. Meaningless. Look at that kid from Notre Dame last year, Jalen Smith I think was his name...Projected Top 5 pick, knee explodes in the Fiesta Bowl....Dallas takes him in the 2nd round, has not played a down in 2016. Has permanent nerve damage and by all accounts, career is over.

Fournette and McCaffery are doing the right thing. This will never be addressed until a kid, who WON this Heisman, is on a team in the College Football Playoff Ranked #1 and is 13-0 decides.....NA, I'm good

But when you are playing in the Zaxby's Ponzi Scheme Bowl at 11AM on a Tuesday.....Yeah.....sit it out, 1000%

Agreed. Why risk throwing away such an opportunity?

Agree or disagree?

Falk didn't get injured, but he played like crap. May be a moot point now.

Agree or disagree?

Because he was awarded a scholarship in exchange for potential revenue for the university based on ticket sales in demand to see these athletes perform. It's a contract.

I know if works both ways, though. Players are routinely benched, forced to transfer, and/or kicked off the team/not renewed scholarship, at the coaches' whims.

What happened to you, FSU, here in the fourth quarter? I can't believe Michigan scoring twice in 3 minutes! (As a Steeler and Penn State fan it's my duty to root against any Harbaugh. Besides, one of the kids went to FSU.)