2016-17 College Football Thread

It looks like the Wisconsin Badgers aren't interested in winning today. Bad defense, dropped passes...... :facepalm:
  • Like 1

Michigan State and Penn State quite a contest so far.

And so is the Iron Bowl, for that matter. I'll be happy for whoever wins both of those games.

And James, I'm rooting for the Gamecocks tonight!

• Like 1

It looks like the Wisconsin Badgers aren't interested in winning today. Bad defense, dropped passes...... :facepalm:

They will still go to the Big 10 Championship regardless of their outcome today, won't they?

They will still go to the Big 10 Championship regardless of their outcome today, won't they?

Yes, but if they lose today, they can kiss any hope of making the National Championship Playoff goodbye.

• Like 1

Officials hand it to Ohio State. Boo.

http://www.usatoday....state/94480006/

Surprisingly, Jim Harbaugh agrees. ;) There was a totally blown defensive holding no-call in overtime that forced Michigan into a 4th down field goal. Then, they give forward progress on 4th down to the Ohio State quarterback...

"I thought there were some outrageous calls, including the one that would have ended the game,” the Wolverines head coach said. “I was bitterly disappointed with the officiating.”The play he referred to — multiple times — was Ohio State’s attempt on fourth-and-1 in the second overtime. Quarterback J.T. Barrett kept the ball and tried to extend for the first down. Officials spotted the ball and ruled the play a first down, and upheld the call after a brief official review.

The OSU quarterback ran into his own guy, stopping the ball what I thought was short of the first down, but the refs gave him the friendly spot and upheld it on review.

(Harbaugh) pointed out that the Buckeyes were called for just two penalties all game — for 6 total yards — adding that he felt there were “multiple holding calls and multiple false starts” against Ohio State that went uncalled.

Another take on the officiating here...http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/michigan-has-legit-beef-with-controversial-spot-on-ohio-states-fourth-down-conversion/

Michigan has legit beef with controversial spot on Ohio State's 4th-down conversion

Edited by goose

Aww, come on goose...there were a couple of no-calls that should have been, for both teams.

One of the ugliest Ohio State wins against Michigan that I've ever seen. But they came through when they needed to!

They took advantage of opportunity, for sure.

Badgers 17

Gophers 17

Bucky Badger is on a roll! Tough defense, taking the ball away, putting them in position to WIN!!

Badgers 17

Gophers 17

Bucky Badger is on a roll! Tough defense, taking the ball away, putting them in position to WIN!!

UH OH..... they just gave the ball away, and now they just got nailed for PI..... :facepalm:

Badgers 17

Gophers 17

UH OH..... they just gave the ball away, and now they just got nailed for PI..... :facepalm:

Badgers 31

Gophers 17

No worries!! Jazz Peavy's HUGE jet sweep and another pick made it all better...... :D :D

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 1

Penn State 45, Sparty 12. James Franklin must still be mad about the 55-16 burn from MSU last year, when the Spartans ran all over Penn State . . . he still has McSorley in with 4 minutes left. No couch in State College will be safe tonight! :D Edited by blueschica

Surprisingly, Jim Harbaugh agrees. ;) There was a totally blown defensive holding no-call in overtime that forced Michigan into a 4th down field goal. Then, they give forward progress on 4th down to the Ohio State quarterback...

"I thought there were some outrageous calls, including the one that would have ended the game,” the Wolverines head coach said. “I was bitterly disappointed with the officiating.”The play he referred to — multiple times — was Ohio State’s attempt on fourth-and-1 in the second overtime. Quarterback J.T. Barrett kept the ball and tried to extend for the first down. Officials spotted the ball and ruled the play a first down, and upheld the call after a brief official review.

The OSU quarterback ran into his own guy, stopping the ball what I thought was short of the first down, but the refs gave him the friendly spot and upheld it on review.

(Harbaugh) pointed out that the Buckeyes were called for just two penalties all game — for 6 total yards — adding that he felt there were “multiple holding calls and multiple false starts” against Ohio State that went uncalled.

Another take on the officiating here...http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/michigan-has-legit-beef-with-controversial-spot-on-ohio-states-fourth-down-conversion/

Michigan has legit beef with controversial spot on Ohio State's 4th-down conversion

Well... The Wolverines had opportunity to stop the Buckeyes... They didn't... Can't blame the refs on that..
  • Like 1

#1 Alabama 30

#12 Auburn 12

#2 Ohio State 30

#3 Michigan 27

#4 Clemson 42

S. Carolina 7 (3rd)

#5 Washington 45

#23 Wash. State 17

#6 Wisconsin 31

Minnesota 17

#7 Penn State 45

Michigan State 12

I can see Michigan getting the nod over Wisconsin for the #5 spot.

1. Alabama

2. Ohio State

3. Clemson

4. Washington

5. Michigan (Lost @ Iowa, @ OSU)

6. Wisconsin (Lost @ Michigan, v. Ohio State)

7. Penn State (Lost @ Pitt, @ Michigan)

Edited by Principled Man

Well... The Wolverines had opportunity to stop the Buckeyes... They didn't... Can't blame the refs on that..

And they threw a costly interception. But the refs didn't do their job very well, and that's a shame. I always told my players to keep the refs from being a factor, and Michigan didn't do that.

Aww, come on goose...there were a couple of no-calls that should have been, for both teams.

One of the ugliest Ohio State wins against Michigan that I've ever seen. But they came through when they needed to!

Quit your whining goose. Instant replay showed he made the first down. Buy Jimmy a new head set for Christmas. :LOL: Go Bucks!! :7up:

• Like 2

Quit your whining goose. Instant replay showed he made the first down. Buy Jimmy a new head set for Christmas. :LOL: Go Bucks!! :7up:

:LOL:
  • Like 1

I will admit OHS looked like sh** today!! :P

I will admit OHS looked like sh** today!! :P

Two pretty rough wins in a row.
  • Like 1

They took advantage of opportunity, for sure.

Of course Jim Harbaugh agrees that the officiating was bad. Of course he does. Harbaugh's temper has always been his Achilles' heel. Even when his team is winning big, and everything is going right, he's still pacing the sidelines with a scowl on his face, just waiting to throw a fit about something; about anything.

I'm not saying that Barrett's fourth down conversion shouldn't have been held up to scrutiny. But it was. And it was awfully close. I wasn't even sure about it myself. But it was called a first down initially, and just like with every official review, they have to see indisputable video evidence to overturn it.

Yesterday during the first overtime, Harbaugh threw his headset off and started screaming at an official, and incurred an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, costing his team some yards in the red zone- which led to the Buckeyes taking the lead for the first time in the game- seventeen unanswered points (efore Michigan tied it up again).

Yes, the Buckeyes took advantage of opportunity in that case, too.

• Like 4

Okay, I should have read all the posts before I started in on you again, goose. I see that I am re-hashing old news!

Anyway...all in all, a very interesting end of the regular season in college football.

• Like 1

This Ohio State vs Michigan battle and controversy surrounding Barrett's fourth down conversion and Harbaugh's after game tirade, gave me a instant flash back as a kid . The 1973 game when the #1 Buckeyes and #4 Wolverines played to a 10-10 tie(no overtime then) Everyone thought Michigan dominated both sides of the ball but waiting on pins & needles for the Big Ten athletic directors to decide who was going to the Rose bowl January 1st.. Picked in favor of the Buckeyes made the breaking news across the state of Ohio . Me and my dad were jubilant national news news conference followed shortly with Wolverine head coach Bo Schembechler giving angry speech of disgust about the directors decision.. I guess it's true.."More things change the more they stay the same.." :P
  • Like 4

AP Rankings for Week 14:

1. Alabama

2. Ohio State

3. Clemson

4. Washington

5. Michigan

6. Wisconsin

7. Oklahoma

8. Penn State

It is no surprise that Wisconsin was kept below Michigan. The CFB Selection Committee will probably follow suit.

• Like 1

Absolute BULL SHIT that Ohio State is gonna be let into the playoffs without winning their division nor their conference championship. For Christ's sake, Penn State beat Ohio State head to head and are in the championship game.

This crap right here will result in more and more cupcakes being scheduled for non conference games. Penn State finally challenges Pitt, and loses, and they're gonna be punished for it.

Edited by Aikenrooster
  • Like 1

Absolute BULL SHIT that Ohio State is gonna be let into the playoffs without winning their division nor their conference championship. For Christ's sake, Penn State beat Ohio State head to head and are in the championship game.

This crap right here will result in more and more cupcakes being scheduled for non conference games. Penn State finally challenges Pitt, and loses, and they're gonna be punished for it.

Angry you seem, young Jedi.

I'll absolutely concede that OSU has had some less than overwhelming victories this year, and some times when they didn't have it all together too well. Definitely didn't look like the #2 team in the country. But the same can be said for Clemson, and they're #3.

Ohio State had six returning starting players this year. Six, out of 22. That means there were 16 newbies. And they still went 11-1, with that one loss being due to one special teams play- in one of the harshest environments for a visiting team to compete, at Happy Valley.

I will not be convinced by anyone that they 'don't belong' in the top four of the CFP.

• Like 1

AP Rankings for Week 14:

1. Alabama

2. Ohio State

3. Clemson

4. Washington

5. Michigan

6. Wisconsin

7. Oklahoma

8. Penn State

It is no surprise that Wisconsin was kept below Michigan. The CFB Selection Committee will probably follow suit.

Michigan at #5 seems academic at this point, as it has no realistic shot at the playoff. Of course, this is the Year of Trump, so anything could happen. But...

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2016-11-29/college-football-playoff-rankings-clemson-washington-gain-ground

Michigan isn’t going to improve its stock by sitting on the couch this weekend. It would appear as though the Big Ten champion would have a superior resume to the Wolverines, who finished third in the Big Ten East.

At the same time, Michigan beat Wisconsin and absolutely throttled Penn State earlier this season; regardless of whether or not any of these schools reach the CFP, this will serve as an interesting case study for the committee. What does it value more: head-to-head results, or conference champions? Michigan and the Big Ten title winner will each have two losses, so it’s a crucial question. For that reason, you can’t completely rule the Wolverines out of the festivities. Improbable? Sure. But not impossible.