Im going to check out some Umphreys McGee. Anyone familiar with them can give me a good place to atart?

I really dig Umphreys also. Saw them at Lockn in 2014. Every time they come on the Jam On channel on Sirius, I am impressed. But I've been bad about picking up new music the past few years. So, unfortunately, I don't have any good advise on where to start.

But, when in doubt, I usually go to archive.org and play some live streaming stuff. With most of the bands in the 'jam' scene, I would rather hear a live show than a studio album. So, look for the highest rated shows and give those a shot.

https://archive.org/details/UmphreysMcGee

• Like 2

Im going to check out some Umphreys McGee. Anyone familiar with them can give me a good place to atart?

I have about a half-dozen albums. Nothing real recent though, Local Band Does OK, Anchor Drops, Safety In Numbers, Death By Stereo, The Bottom Half, Live At The Murat.

I like them, although I prefer to listen/watch live.

Not into any form of jazz except for early The Pat Metheny Group. I saw them in NYC at the Blue Note back in ..... ummm.... late 70's or early 80's. I was 20 feet from Pat and completely mesmerized.
  • Like 1

Bump

Just because I think it deserves it.

Happy Jerry Day:)

Nothin left to do but smile smile smile

:)

Have you ever checked out a guy called Charles Lloyd? He's a flautist (maybe plays sax, too, I'm not sure)...he was on the bill with the Grateful Dead at the Human Be-in in January '67...I'm not sure if he's still alive or not, but I know back in the '90s, he had some titles on the ECM label.

Bump

Just because I think it deserves it.

Happy Jerry Day:)

Nothin left to do but smile smile smile

:)

Have you ever checked out a guy called Charles Lloyd? He's a flautist (maybe plays sax, too, I'm not sure)...he was on the bill with the Grateful Dead at the Human Be-in in January '67...I'm not sure if he's still alive or not, but I know back in the '90s, he had some titles on the ECM label.

Yeah a little bit. He was one if the first post-Trane cats who fully embraced psychedelia. Is still alive last I checked.

• Like 1

Lately I've been on a Jaco Pastorius kick. Solo stuff, Weather Report, Joni Mitchell...

Brother could play bass...

I prefer his solo stuff (or Joni I guess) Never been a big fan of Weather Report (as a band) for some strange reason.

Lately I've been on a Jaco Pastorius kick. Solo stuff, Weather Report, Joni Mitchell...

I prefer his solo stuff (or Joni I guess) Never been a big fan of Weather Report (as a band) for some strange reason.

I think they are much better as a live act.

I think they are much better as a live act.

I'm sure they are. I've even seen some live videos on you tube, They just don't do anything for me as opposed to say...Return To Forever or Mahavishnu. It's probably a stylistic thing.

He was all over Joni's jazz period- Hejira, Don Juan's Reckless Daughter...great stuff. And then there was Mingus, of course.

Terribly tragic end he met. But what a singular talent he was.

• Like 1

He was all over Joni's jazz period- Hejira, Don Juan's Reckless Daughter...great stuff. And then there was Mingus, of course.

Terribly tragic end he met. But what a singular talent he was.

:goodone:

I love the Dead... and it's mostly for the songs, as opposed to the jamming (which I also mostly love). When I find people who don't like the GD because of all that noodling, I tell 'em to listen to the "songs" instead... Hunter's lyrics are wonderful. That was really my gateway into the Dead, even though I was (and am) a big fan of jazz.

I find that I dig the concepts of the jam bands more than the music itself. Saw Phish once and really enjoyed the show, but haven't been as knocked out by their catalog as I'd hoped.

But... you get me on a straight-ahead jazz kick and it'll be hard to pull me off of it. Everything from Miles to Monk to Metheny and in between. Amazing music.

Edited by Mystic Slipperman
  • Like 3

I love the Dead... and it's mostly for the songs, as opposed to the jamming (which I also mostly love). When I find people who don't like the GD because of all that noodling, I tell 'em to listen to the "songs" instead... Hunter's lyrics are wonderful. That was really my gateway into the Dead, even though I was (and am) a big fan of jazz.

I find that I dig the concepts of the jam bands more than the music itself. Saw Phish once and really enjoyed the show, but haven't been as knocked out by their catalog as I'd hoped.

But... you get me on a straight-ahead jazz kick and it'll be hard to pull me off of it. Everything from Miles to Monk to Metheny and in between. Amazing music.

I was listening to some Dead today and thinking about how well written the songs were. Uncle John's Band, for instance.
  • Like 2

I was listening to some Dead today and thinking about how well written the songs were. Uncle John's Band, for instance.

American Beauty and Workingmans Dead. Just for the tunes and the harmonies alone make them pure gold.

In the Dark is a very well crafted album as well.

• Like 4

American Beauty and Workingmans Dead. Just for the tunes and the harmonies alone make them pure gold.

I was going to say that, too- the particular period that Uncle John's comes from- Workingman's Dead and American Beauty both recorded and released in the same year, 1970- the only year that they released two complete studio albums...they were just flying. Black Peter, High Time, Box of Rain, Sugar Magnolia, Ripple, Brokedown Palace, Attics of My Life...the quality of all of those songs all in basically a six-month period is just incredible.

I also like Wake of the Flood and Blues For Allah particularly well. Robert Hunter could certainly turn a phrase...

• Like 2

I was going to say that, too- the particular period that Uncle John's comes from- Workingman's Dead and American Beauty both recorded and released in the same year, 1970- the only year that they released two complete studio albums...they were just flying. Black Peter, High Time, Box of Rain, Sugar Magnolia, Ripple, Brokedown Palace, Attics of My Life...the quality of all of those songs all in basically a six-month period is just incredible.

I also like Wake of the Flood and Blues For Allah particularly well. Robert Hunter could certainly turn a phrase...

I like all those albums as well...very much.

My favorite Dead album is Europe 72, probably because it showcases just about everything that make the Dead great. The songs there (which never got proper studio recordings) are so fine - He's Gone, Jack Straw, Brown Eyed Women, etc...

Edited by Mystic Slipperman
  • Like 2

I like all those albums as well...very much.

My favorite Dead album is Europe 72, probably because it showcases just about everything that make the Dead great. The songs there (which never got proper studio recordings) are so fine - He's Gone, Jack Straw, Brown Eyed Women, etc...

Agreed! Europe '72 and the Skull and Roses album both were chock full of really good songs, many of them career-long standards, that never went on a studio album.

• Like 3

Plus they were the first two albums where they actually had money to sit down in the studio and record an album properly as opposed to the previous ones where they had to hurry up and put something out due to money constraints for studio time.

Did you make it to the Irvine Dead and Co show? I was there. My daughter's first show. It was almost like I picked out the setlist. 2nd set had a Scarlet/Fire, a Dark Star, and an Other One. Fire was the 'newest' tune played from the entire show. It was the only Other One I got this tour (being my 5th and last show of the tour)

• Like 1

Did you make it to the Irvine Dead and Co show? I was there. My daughter's first show. It was almost like I picked out the setlist. 2nd set had a Scarlet/Fire, a Dark Star, and an Other One. Fire was the 'newest' tune played from the entire show. It was the only Other One I got this tour (being my 5th and last show of the tour)

I wanted to ! No funds for concerts these days though.... wow! I'd have loved to have seen it, especially with those highlights.