I heard The Grateful Dead - The Eleven Jam on the radio today. Great stuff.

I'm not a Dead fan at all... The only Dead album I've even owned was Mars Hotel < -- Love it.

Now this is groovy

http://youtu.be/cTwXBEa_Tuc

The Eleven Jam- was it on a satellite radio channel? That's awesome...I can't imagine hearing that on commercial radio.

The Eleven was a song they developed as sort of a jam in between other songs- most regularly between St. Stephen and Turn on Your Lovelight, from 1968-'70. Though it does have lyrics to it, the focus was always more on the playing. It is in 11/4 time (which is the same time signature as the Allman Brothers song Whipping Post, by the way). And in the succeeding years, they played it very sparingly as just a jam. Once in '75, I think, and the last in 1981. Or I might be confusing that '81 performance with a Blues For Allah jam, I'm not sure.

The song you posted here, Unbroken Chain- outstanding! I have a demo version of it with just Phil Lesh singing and playing it on acoustic guitar (again, I think. It may be Bob Weir on the guitar. But anyway)...really neat to hear.

Unbroken Chain was one of the songs that Deadheads had wanted to hear performed live for ever and ever, and the band never did it- until 1995. They broke it out as the last song of the first set at the Philly Spectrum on March 19, 1995. I have an audience recording of it, and the roar of the crowd is unbelievable...it builds up as the opening chords are played, and then after Phil starts in with the lyric, it's just monstrous...and sustains that way for a good portion of the song.

They performed it a total of ten times on that spring and the succeeding summer tour...and then in August of that year is when Garcia died.

:rose:

Per Deadlists, the last The 11 was 4/24/70 in Denver. Don't really know of any 11 jams past that. Also of note, the Dead had another jam, The Seven (performed only 4 times) naturally being in 7/4 signature.

I thought the Charlotte Unbroken Chain in 95 was the breakout, but you are certainly correct in that it was busted out 4 days earlier in Philly. I almost went to the Charlotte show (only a 2.5 hour drive from Blacksburg). I had the Charlotte show on tape. Will have to check out the Philly version. Not a big fan of the song though.

Yeah, I checked this morning and saw that I was thinking of the Blues For Allah jam, in '81.

The last version of The Eleven with lyrics was, in fact, 4/24/70, as you pointed out- the last Eleven Jam was 9/28/75, at the Lindley Meadows show in Golden Gate Park (which I love, by the way...the whole show is just fantastic).

Edited by Blue J

I can't get enough of this lately. In the past two weeks I bet I've listened to it twenty times.

Make that twenty-one.

Such a great song...Brilliant storytelling.

And this is probably their most greatly-embellished song, in the studio- the strings and other crazy different things they did with the arrangement, in the latter sections of the song.

• Like 1

I heard The Grateful Dead - The Eleven Jam on the radio today. Great stuff.

I'm not a Dead fan at all... The only Dead album I've even owned was Mars Hotel < -- Love it.

Now this is groovy

http://youtu.be/cTwXBEa_Tuc

The Eleven Jam- was it on a satellite radio channel? That's awesome...I can't imagine hearing that on commercial radio.

The Eleven was a song they developed as sort of a jam in between other songs- most regularly between St. Stephen and Turn on Your Lovelight, from 1968-'70. Though it does have lyrics to it, the focus was always more on the playing. It is in 11/4 time (which is the same time signature as the Allman Brothers song Whipping Post, by the way). And in the succeeding years, they played it very sparingly as just a jam. Once in '75, I think, and the last in 1981. Or I might be confusing that '81 performance with a Blues For Allah jam, I'm not sure.

The song you posted here, Unbroken Chain- outstanding! I have a demo version of it with just Phil Lesh singing and playing it on acoustic guitar (again, I think. It may be Bob Weir on the guitar. But anyway)...really neat to hear.

Unbroken Chain was one of the songs that Deadheads had wanted to hear performed live for ever and ever, and the band never did it- until 1995. They broke it out as the last song of the first set at the Philly Spectrum on March 19, 1995. I have an audience recording of it, and the roar of the crowd is unbelievable...it builds up as the opening chords are played, and then after Phil starts in with the lyric, it's just monstrous...and sustains that way for a good portion of the song.

They performed it a total of ten times on that spring and the succeeding summer tour...and then in August of that year is when Garcia died.

:rose:

Per Deadlists, the last The 11 was 4/24/70 in Denver. Don't really know of any 11 jams past that. Also of note, the Dead had another jam, The Seven (performed only 4 times) naturally being in 7/4 signature.

I thought the Charlotte Unbroken Chain in 95 was the breakout, but you are certainly correct in that it was busted out 4 days earlier in Philly. I almost went to the Charlotte show (only a 2.5 hour drive from Blacksburg). I had the Charlotte show on tape. Will have to check out the Philly version. Not a big fan of the song though.

Yeah, I checked this morning and saw that I was thinking of the Blues For Allah jam, in '81.

The last version of The Eleven with lyrics was, in fact, 4/24/70, as you pointed out- the last Eleven Jam was 9/28/75, at the Lindsey Meadows show in Golden Gate Park (which I love, by the way...the whole show is just fantastic).

Had to check it out:

https://archive.org/details/gd75-09-28.sbd.fink.9392.sbeok.shnf

I can't get enough of this lately. In the past two weeks I bet I've listened to it twenty times.

Make that twenty-one.

And this is probably their most greatly-embellished song, in the studio- the strings and other crazy different things they did with the arrangement, in the latter sections of the song.

Yeah. It speaks to the part of me that loves Tull's Songs from the Wood.

Got back last night from Asheville. Made it to my first Christmas Jam. Too bad Mule didn't start until 2. They had a hard stop at 3. Wonderful night with amazing people.
  • Like 1

Make that twenty-one.

Yeah. It speaks to the part of me that loves Tull's Songs from the Wood.

:cheers:

...which was recorded and released the same year, 1977.

Wanted something on the mellow side this morning so I pulled out my Oscar Peterson Trio Live In Chicago album. It's the only album by him I have and it made me think of what else of his may be out there.

Fantastic pianist.

And to answer your wondering...there is a lot!

• Like 1

Ha... I was at this show in 1974.

https://archive.org/...r.berger.flac24

I know you're not a big fan, in general...but I've had a recording of that show for at least 25 years.

Used to have it on tape. Don't think I ever got it on CD. One day I threw away all of my tapes after realizing that I hadn't listened to a tape in 10 years. Unfortunately Rushgoober wanted them just after I tossed them. Oops.

I know you're not a big fan, in general...but I've had a recording of that show for at least 25 years.

Used to have it on tape. Don't think I ever got it on CD. One day I threw away all of my tapes after realizing that I hadn't listened to a tape in 10 years. Unfortunately Rushgoober wanted them just after I tossed them. Oops.

I have a big box of tapes. Dont need em.

I have a big box of tapes. Dont need em.

Wanted something on the mellow side this morning so I pulled out my Oscar Peterson Trio Live In Chicago album. It's the only album by him I have and it made me think of what else of his may be out there.

Fantastic pianist.

And to answer your wondering...there is a lot!

Thanks. I was afraid of that.