I've got Tin Cans and Car Tires, No Doy, and Wormwood, but I haven't listened to them for a long time. I find it hard to try to get back into Phish, moe., Widespread Panic and all that stuff. Don't know why.

I never really got into jam bands with jazz influence. Blues and western based jam music is easier for me to get into. Of course I still like Phish and moe., but certainly not as much as Grateful Dead or The Allman Brothers Band. Maybe it's because blues music is more personal than jazz and has a more of a one-on-one feel than the often times complex orchestrations you hear in most jazz music.

DD, what do you think of this:

Jazz is not at the top of my list, but I really like this - pleasant, inspired and unlike a lot of jazz, I get the urge to listen to it

Reminds me a lot of the streets of NYC for some reason

41EZxK5E4AL._SY300_QL70_.jpg

• Like 1

Jazz is not at the top of my list, but I really like this - pleasant, inspired and unlike a lot of jazz, I get the urge to listen to it

Ive not heard this but i have literally hundreds of albums with any combination of these cats playing on it.

• Like 2

Ive not heard this but i have literally hundreds of albums with any combination of these cats playing on it.

My Dad had this along with Al D's Land Of The Midnight Sun ( among dozens and dozens of others ) .. I liked these two most ... These and the old Les Paul albums

• Like 1

I've got Tin Cans and Car Tires, No Doy, and Wormwood, but I haven't listened to them for a long time. I find it hard to try to get back into Phish, moe., Widespread Panic and all that stuff. Don't know why.

I listen to a lot less Phish and Widespread Panic but I still think they're both awesome. Fun concerts.

A Midwest band called Ekoostik Hookah puts on a fun show too.

• Like 1

I listen to a lot less Phish and Widespread Panic but I still think they're both awesome. Fun concerts.

You know about Hookah?? That's awesome! They've been around for quite awhile now...Ohio natives. I don't know if they still do, but it used to be they would put on a big festival that they headlined, called Hookahville- every Memorial Day and Labor Day weekend (like the beginning and end of the summer)...long ago, they used to put it on at Buckeye Lake, I believe (which is where the Grateful Dead played in the late '80s and early '90s- just a huge bowl, a big field, out in the middle of nowhere. Well, about 30 miles east of Columbus, actually).

I was camping at Stone Mountain State Park in Atlanta one time, at the start of the Other Ones tour, in 1998- and I met some people at the campsite who had an Ekoostik Hookah window sticker on their van. At that time, it blew my mind that anybody outside of Ohio would know who they were. Struck up a good conversation with them.

I just heard that album for the first time, earlier this week!

• Like 1

I never really got into jam bands with jazz influence. Blues and western based jam music is easier for me to get into. Of course I still like Phish and moe., but certainly not as much as Grateful Dead or The Allman Brothers Band. Maybe it's because blues music is more personal than jazz and has a more of a one-on-one feel than the often times complex orchestrations you hear in most jazz music.

I'm with you- I don't know about jazz influence too much in this kind of music- the more blues-based stuff always worked better for me, too. I do love the dead, the Black Crowes, the Allman Brothers...Phish I got into a little bit, went to a couple of shows back in the mid-'90s...and moe. I believe I saw on one package or festival tour, at some point- 1997, '98, somewhere in there. I never cared for them all that much.

But straight-up jazz music, I absolutely love!

I'm not sure why it is that jazz doesn't appeal to me as much when incorporated into rock and roll jamming- because some rock or pop bands with prominent horns, I love- specifically older Chicago stuff.

Also, just a side note- I typically bristle at the term 'jam bands', because that term only seemed to enter the vernacular after people like Dave Matthews and Phish and moe. and some other people started gaining a large following in the mid '90s. Like it was an industry-driven thing- a bunch of suits sitting around in an office saying, "Hmmm, so what do we call this kind of sound that so many of the kids seem to love these days?" Haha...but maybe that's just me, I don't know.

By the way, Oracle, I see you're in southwest Ohio, too. :ebert:

Edited by Blue J

Where we discuss jam band and jazz and any other far out music of the spheres.

Far out music...where jazz is concerned, do you like the free jazz/modern creative stuff? I mean, really far out, from guys Ornette Coleman, Albert Ayler, and Cecil McBee, all the way to Pharaoh Sanders and Sun-ra? I get in a mood for it sometimes. Usually an album or two of really, really far out stuff will last me for awhile. But I also get in moods for more of it, sometimes.

You know about Hookah?? That's awesome! They've been around for quite awhile now...Ohio natives. I don't know if they still do, but it used to be they would put on a big festival that they headlined, called Hookahville- every Memorial Day and Labor Day weekend (like the beginning and end of the summer)...long ago, they used to put it on at Buckeye Lake, I believe (which is where the Grateful Dead played in the late '80s and early '90s- just a huge bowl, a big field, out in the middle of nowhere. Well, about 30 miles east of Columbus, actually).

I was camping at Stone Mountain State Park in Atlanta one time, at the start of the Other Ones tour, in 1998- and I met some people at the campsite who had an Ekoostik Hookah window sticker on their van. At that time, it blew my mind that anybody outside of Ohio would know who they were. Struck up a good conversation with them.

I saw them a few times when I lived in Portland, OR back in the late 90s. I'm sure you can imagine how welcome they'd be out there. I think I first heard their stuff before that in uni but first saw them in concert when I moved out to the west coast shortly after.

And yeah, I had always known about Hookahville and always wanted to go but just never did. I've put up the bassist's (Cliff Starbuck) pic up on TRF a few times because he looked like a young, more clean cut Geddy Lee. No one ever commented on it though.

• Like 1

Where we discuss jam band and jazz and any other far out music of the spheres.

Far out music...where jazz is concerned, do you like the free jazz/modern creative stuff? I mean, really far out, from guys Ornette Coleman, Albert Ayler, and Cecil McBee, all the way to Pharaoh Sanders and Sun-ra? I get in a mood for it sometimes. Usually an album or two of really, really far out stuff will last me for awhile. But I also get in moods for more of it, sometimes.

Im a huge Ornette guy. Hes just the total package as far as I am concerned. Sun Ra I've been wanting to delve

More into. Eric Dolphy I am also a huge fan of.

Trey from Phish put out a free jazz project some time back with Oteil and couple of the Sun Ra guys which I Really did enjoy. Surrender To the Air. Fantastic.

Of course I love the Dead. Never was a Dead head but I love it when they go OUT. Love the improvisational spirit that lives in rhe music. Yeah I'm more a jazz guy but there also something inspiring about rhat old acoustic blues style. The Dead could do both in equal

Measure in a style they made all their own.

• Like 1

LOVE Eric Dolphy! Do you have the sets he did with Booker Little, at the Five Spot? I'm pretty those are still available commercially.

Surrender to the Air...I'll have to look that up. The only other Trey release I remember that was a collaboration like that was what he did with The Dude of Life...I think that was more than 20 years ago.

I will certainly have to chime in as most of the live music I see fits into the 'jam' category. Just saw my 3rd and 4th Dead and Company shows this past weekend in Boulder (along with the Charlotte and Bristow shows). Didn't see any of their shows on the Fall tour. Was very weary of John Mayer. Never liked his voice. But his playing makes up for it. Boy, can he rip some of those solos.

The jam channel on Sirius is what I listen to mostly in the car. So, I do keep up with most of the bands 'in the scene'. Don't like the electronica stuff though and usually change the channel when that pops up.

Next up for me (next Sunday) will be North Miss. Allstars with Los Lobos and Tedeschi Trucks. Can't pass on that lineup. Boy do I miss Luther Dickinson. I don't think I've seen him live since he was with the Crowes.

Finally, I've got a couple Gov't Mule shows coming up. It seems like forever since I've seen Warren. I think it may have been at least a year. With the Allmans, Mule, and various other projects (such as Phil and Friends, and The Dead), I would see Warren at least 5 times a year.

• Like 1

Next up for me (next Sunday) will be North Miss. Allstars with Los Lobos and Tedeschi Trucks. Can't pass on that lineup. Boy do I miss Luther Dickinson. I don't think I've seen him live since he was with the Crowes.

I haven't, either...really looking forward to it. I got to meet Luther after a Crowes show in 2009- he is a really cool guy (along with Sven and Adam and the backup singers- but I did not meet Chris, Rich, or Steve).

I've never seen NMAS, and haven't seen Los Lobos since 1996, so that'll be fun. Derek and Susan I last saw in 2008.

I'm going to see this show on 7/29- they're playing the next night in Cinci, which is only an hour away from me, but the 7/29 show is quite a bit closer, even.

I've passed on Dead and Company; just not really into it at this point, for some reason- though I'm sure the shows are great.

I haven't, either...really looking forward to it. I got to meet Luther after a Crowes show in 2009- he is a really cool guy (along with Sven and Adam and the backup singers- but I did not meet Chris, Rich, or Steve).

I've never seen NMAS, and haven't seen Los Lobos since 1996, so that'll be fun. Derek and Susan I last saw in 2008.

I'm going to see this show on 7/29- they're playing the next night in Cinci, which is only an hour away from me, but the 7/29 show is quite a bit closer, even.

I've passed on Dead and Company; just not really into it at this point, for some reason- though I'm sure the shows are great.

The last time I saw NMAS was at the Another One For Woody show at the Roseland. I think I saw them once before that as well, but am not sure. With all of the festivals and things (such as youtube videos), who can remember any more? I think my last Los Lobos was around the same time as yours being part of Furthur, or Horde, or something similar. Have been lucky to see Tedeschi Trucks at the Lockn festivals and a couple other times. Can't wait. The show is sold out.

Would love to meet Luther. I've had the pleasure of meeting Lerxst and Warren. So Luther might be atop the list of guitar heroes that I would like to meet.

I did have a ticket on the floor of Madison Square Garden to see NMAS, Trey Anastasio and the Crowes, on New Years Eve in 2005...but I didn't make it there.

I still have the unused ticket.

LOVE Eric Dolphy! Do you have the sets he did with Booker Little, at the Five Spot? I'm pretty those are still available commercially.

Surrender to the Air...I'll have to look that up. The only other Trey release I remember that was a collaboration like that was what he did with The Dude of Life...I think that was more than 20 years ago.

Yes those Dolphy/Booker sets are amazing. With Mal Waldron, Richard Davis and Ed Blackwell.

Check out Red and the Black by Dewey Redman and Ed Blackwell. Transformative.

Yes those Dolphy/Booker sets are amazing. With Mal Waldron, Richard Davis and Ed Blackwell.

Check out Red and the Black by Dewey Redman and Ed Blackwell. Transformative.

I will do that.

I'm with you- I don't know about jazz influence too much in this kind of music- the more blues-based stuff always worked better for me, too. I do love the dead, the Black Crowes, the Allman Brothers...Phish I got into a little bit, went to a couple of shows back in the mid-'90s...and moe. I believe I saw on one package or festival tour, at some point- 1997, '98, somewhere in there. I never cared for them all that much.

But straight-up jazz music, I absolutely love!

I'm not sure why it is that jazz doesn't appeal to me as much when incorporated into rock and roll jamming- because some rock or pop bands with prominent horns, I love- specifically older Chicago stuff.

Also, just a side note- I typically bristle at the term 'jam bands', because that term only seemed to enter the vernacular after people like Dave Matthews and Phish and moe. and some other people started gaining a large following in the mid '90s. Like it was an industry-driven thing- a bunch of suits sitting around in an office saying, "Hmmm, so what do we call this kind of sound that so many of the kids seem to love these days?" Haha...but maybe that's just me, I don't know.

By the way, Oracle, I see you're in southwest Ohio, too. :ebert:

Yeah, that phase in the mid-90s where you had a bunch of "jam bands" come out sounding like cheap rip offs of Frank Zappa or Captain Beefheart makes me vomit. Stuff like Dave Matthews I've never been able to get into just for how stale the music sounds. At least Phish has SOME honesty in how their songs are written and performed.

You mention the use of horns in rock and pop music - I wouldn't necessarily say that's directly related to jazz. Motown and early R&B incorporated horn sections in their music and it kind of jumped into rock and roll almost seamlessly. I do get what you're saying though, as I can enjoy a song like "No Reply at All" or "Paperlate" by Genesis but not really groove to a straight jazz piece.

Also, nice to see some other Ohioans here!

Im going to check out some Umphreys McGee. Anyone familiar with them can give me a good place to atart?

I've never really gotten into them. But one person I know of around here who would definitely be able to recommend some things to you is Jaminbenb.