Sometimes, Rush just seems too special for us.

fraroc

not to me, lol

Mick

That was my first thought.

Let me clarify this. In the grand scheme of my life at this point of my existence, there are more important things. However, when I was young, I may very well have thought the same.

yea i reread my post. i didn't mean like not important musically to me. i meant this thread is almost making them to be all emompassing. godlike and i suppose to some them they are.

but with what i deal with personnally and have been through.........nope, lol

Mick

• Like 1

not to me, lol

Mick

Let me clarify this. In the grand scheme of my life at this point of my existence, there are more important things. However, when I was young, I may very well have thought the same.

yea i reread my post. i didn't mean like not important musically to me. i meant this thread is almost making them to be all emompassing. godlike and i suppose to some them they are.

Mick

Yes. Waits though...

:)

• Like 1

not to me, lol

Mick

Mick

Yes. Waits though...

yes my friend........talk to me about Waits and i have a very different answer, lol

unlike Rush......i have personal stories and memories connected with songs. So i understand the idea of this thread......it just doesn't work with rush.

Waits is the probably the only artist like that though.

Mick

not to me, lol

Mick

Mick

Yes. Waits though...

yes my friend........talk to me about Waits and i have a very different answer, lol

unlike Rush......i have personal stories and memories connected with songs. So i understand the idea of this thread......it just doesn't work with rush.

Waits is the probably the only artist like that though.

Mick

Many years ago I took a road trip with a friend and he wanted me to bring my Waits cds because he really wanted to hear them. So from the Bay down to LA we listened to Nighthawks, Small Change, Rain Dogs, Franks and Bone Machine.

That was very very fun.

• Like 1

Rush is special, and there is a chemistry and vibe within the band that has tapped into something we don't even realize ..

Geddy and Alex have a very special bond, the addition of Neil and the circumstances involved, the subsequent touring and near failure of the band makes their story unique .. and not just to us, but in rock history

This isn't Toto we're talking about - this is not a band of studio musicians put together like Meneudo

This RUSH

mother*******

Oh. No. You. Didn't. Toto made themselves. Toto's music is just as special as Rush's at times. At least they disnt turn into groundbreaking icons. Coughkisscough.

Glad to see you've come around DD

• Like 1

Rush is special, and there is a chemistry and vibe within the band that has tapped into something we don't even realize ..

Geddy and Alex have a very special bond, the addition of Neil and the circumstances involved, the subsequent touring and near failure of the band makes their story unique .. and not just to us, but in rock history

This isn't Toto we're talking about - this is not a band of studio musicians put together like Meneudo

This RUSH

mother*******

Oh. No. You. Didn't. Toto made themselves. Toto's music is just as special as Rush's at times. At least they disnt turn into groundbreaking icons. Coughkisscough.

Glad to see you've come around DD

The only time KISS broke any ground was the last time Ace passed out.

• Like 2

Beyond our understanding? Are you kidding?

Even though I've been banned from there, look at shit like SOCN. Look at all of us Rush fans at each others throats despite being fans of a band that clearly doesn't want us to be that way, as told by the messages in their music. Sometimes I doubt these people are even listening to the same band.

I wonder if someone is hitting the bottle or maybe the bong this evening? At any rate, Rush is no more special than any other band, they just happen to be your favorite band, seemingly. Lots of bands have similar music and certainly similar abilities. There are bands with thoughtful or timely lyrics too.

Sending a cyberhug your way

Quit it, you uphill gardener. :P

Ford, how come you ditched Polly?

Every time I saw it, I was reminded I know people like that and they're cloying and not at all realistic. I like the Haida style art much better. Don't you?

• Like 1

Even though I've been banned from there, look at shit like SOCN. Look at all of us Rush fans at each others throats despite being fans of a band that clearly doesn't want us to be that way, as told by the messages in their music. Sometimes I doubt these people are even listening to the same band.

So let me get this straight. In your world, people from who knows how many walks of life, economic or social backgrounds, who log in here and happen to like Rush, should also agree on everything else? Maybe you should have the Pollyanna avatar.

I wonder if someone is hitting the bottle or maybe the bong this evening? At any rate, Rush is no more special than any other band, they just happen to be your favorite band, seemingly. Lots of bands have similar music and certainly similar abilities. There are bands with thoughtful or timely lyrics too.

Every time I saw it, I was reminded I know people like that and they're cloying and not at all realistic. I like the Haida style art much better. Don't you?

I was kind of partial to Pollyanna.

I'd take her up, but I'm become too attached to Mona.

So let me get this straight. In your world, people from who knows how many walks of life, economic or social backgrounds, who log in here and happen to like Rush, should also agree on everything else? Maybe you should have the Pollyanna avatar.

Disagreeing shouldn't always have to mean fighting.

Absolutely. In fact, rational people should be able to carry on a civil discussion, but since we're all different in some ways, we sometimes drift into nastiness. That being said, Rush, specifically Neil, wrote music that spoke to him but the millions of people that listen to it may take it differently than he meant it.

The blasphemy in this thread has my nerd rage boiling....

However this thread and hanging with a new friend last week has me thinking....

Rush are very special to me.... However when a stranger you're getting to know asks what kind of music you're into and you top the 3 favorite bands with Rush...... How does one respond to "Oh I think I've heard of them, they seem pretty cool"

I smugly grinned and almost broke out the Cygnus Duology before realizing she's probably a "mainstream" Rush fan and the song would be drowned out by laughter..... :(

Sounds like you may need to pick up a copy of Simple Kind Mirror, Mystic Rhythms or something like Experiencing Rush: A Listeners Companion for some summer reading. Enjoy!

a0a95e959a89f8ae349ed4c0d3008127.jpg

• Like 3

a0a95e959a89f8ae349ed4c0d3008127.jpg

If you could only see me laughing right now. I love that! :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

Thank you for brightening my day, Eagle! :hug2:

• Like 1

Absolutely. In fact, rational people should be able to carry on a civil discussion, but since we're all different in some ways, we sometimes drift into nastiness. That being said, Rush, specifically Neil, wrote music that spoke to him but the millions of people that listen to it may take it differently than he meant it.

Rush is comprised of three of the most civil men in the world, I think everybody should follow their example. We'd have a much more peaceful world.

Rush is comprised of three of the most civil men in the world, I think everybody should follow their example. We'd have a much more peaceful world.

Three of the most civil men in the world...but you rip Neil apart...and always say Geddy and Alex are nice and then later whinge because Neil loves his private life more than the fragile she of celebrity.

If you regard him as on of the three most civil and you talk about him like that then you must be the life and soul of every party.

Hmmm...this and other of your posts in this thread border (if not just plain are) on hero worship. ""Rush just seems too special for us"?!! Yes, Rush's music is magical to you because you love them. Ask a Van Halen fan if their music means a lot to them, or a Led Zeppelin fan, or a Queen fan. Ask any fan of any band. Rush's music is special to us but only to us as fans...get it? It's incredibly complex music (in most cases) played by three extremely talented musicians. That doesn't make their music any more special or (and it seems like you are implying) other-wordly than any other band that's had the measure of success and longevity that they had. Don't get me wrong, I love Rush. They've been my favorite band since I was 10. But there's fans and then there fanatics.. Ease up on the slavering a bit...they are not gods. "Comprised of three of the most civil men in the world" wow...um, I'm not sure how to address the degree of slavertude present in this sentence. Certainly they seem to be three very talented men who behave maturely and with decency (for the most part...there have been incidents you know) but in the entire damn world...give me a break. :facepalm:

• Like 2

Hmmm...this and other of your posts in this thread border (if not just plain are) on hero worship. ""Rush just seems too special for us"?!! Yes, Rush's music is magical to you because you love them. Ask a Van Halen fan if their music means a lot to them, or a Led Zeppelin fan, or a Queen fan. Ask any fan of any band. Rush's music is special to us but only to us as fans...get it? It's incredibly complex music (in most cases) played by three extremely talented musicians. That doesn't make their music any more special or (and it seems like you are implying) other-wordly than any other band that's had the measure of success and longevity that they had. Don't get me wrong, I love Rush. They've been my favorite band since I was 10. But there's fans and then there fanatics.. Ease up on the slavering a bit...they are not gods. "Comprised of three of the most civil men in the world" wow...um, I'm not sure how to address the degree of slavertude present in this sentence. Certainly they seem to be three very talented men who behave maturely and with decency (for the most part...there have been incidents you know) but in the entire damn world...give me a break. :facepalm:

Yeah tell this guy. Hes been whinging and on over the last year about how Neil is selfish is because he never got a chance to see him yet he continues to elevate the man into a deity of some kind. They are just men. Just like me. They got rich and famous and now deserve to live their lives exactly the way rhey want to. No harm no foul.

• Like 1

The point of this topic was to discuss Rush fans, not the members themselves. The entire point was to say that certain fans of Rush either just don't get the message of their music or just refuse to listen.

The point of this topic was to discuss Rush fans, not the members themselves. The entire point was to say that certain fans of Rush either just don't get the message of their music or just refuse to listen.

The majority of Rush fans are above average intelligence. I think they get the various messages of the music just fine.