Brazil 2016: Olympiad XXXI

goose

Never really watched it before, but my wife and daughter are watching Rhythmic Gymnastics... some of the passes are crazy. It's pretty cool, I'm pleasantly surprised Edited by Lost In Xanadu
  • Like 1

Olympic volunteer says ‘we’re treated like animals,’ get expired food and work 12-hour days

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/rio-2016/olympic-volunteer-says-were-treated-like-animals

I hope they can get some compensation after the Olympics but I doubt it.

Took my dad to watch France vs Holland (women's handball) and brought Stella to the olympic village today. I'll post pictures later on!

Before this year i have never, ever watched handball. But after watching two games from the dutch men's team I actually enjoy it.

Handball, is that the game they play where they don't actually use their hands....everything but right. I know of handball where you hit a ball against a wall that we used to play as kids in NYC.

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Olympics+Day+1+Handball+u_wGwXygQxpl.jpg

Looks like you can use your hands. ;)

Soccer = football. Handball = soccer, but with your hands.

Oh I did not know that it was even an indoor game. I was thinking of a game they showed earlier on the beach where they used their chest, head and feet to hit a ball over a net sort of like beach volleyball. To serve they scooped up sand, placed the ball on top of a mound then kick the ball over the net as a serve and their hands were not used in play.

Hmmmm I wonder then what that sport is called it looked pretty hard to play. Unless one was very good at soccer. BTW, congratulations to Brasil for the winning penalty kick in soccer. I would gather this gold medal has certainly made these Olympics a success the country.

• Like 1

Olympic volunteer says ‘we’re treated like animals,’ get expired food and work 12-hour days

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/rio-2016/olympic-volunteer-says-were-treated-like-animals

I hope they can get some compensation after the Olympics but I doubt it.

on the other side of the coin....

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/6a8e702c40224f6a8345d9f6fe4def54/renowned-chef-feeds-rios-homeless-excess-olympic-food

Well Brasil may have out done the soccer squad with a gold win in their second dominate sport indoor volleyball. Congratulations BRASIL.

Poland ends up with 11 medals ( 2-3-6 ) Should've been more but luck was not on our side. In fact, it seemed as if Polish athletes were constantly competing on Friday the 13th. :eyeroll: Oh well, better days in Tokyo, I hope.

Lots of soul-searching at the moment in Germany after their lowest medal haul since unification.

The team won more Golds than they did in London, but the overall total was lower.

Would have been much worse if the Russians had a full squad at the Games.

Well Brasil may have out done the soccer squad with a gold win in their second dominate sport indoor volleyball. Congratulations BRASIL.

It's actually spelled Brazil. Thought I would warn you before Rod pulls you up. ;)

Internationally, yes. But locally we write "Brasil".

• Like 1

It's actually spelled Brazil. Thought I would warn you before Rod pulls you up. ;)

I was not aware of that. :blush: G.P you're off the hook if you were.

Rod, does Portugal also spell it with an S?

• Like 1

Rod, what's the latest on the Para Olympics, will they still go ahead as scheduled?

Lots of talk over here about down sizing.

Hope they give the tickets away for free if there is little take-up.

Of course, the media are always looking for reasons to slate the Games no matter where they are held.

Is this just "paper talk"

I think they spell it Bra-Ronaldo. :coy:
  • Like 1

Rod, what's the latest on the Para Olympics, will they still go ahead as scheduled?

Lots of talk over here about down sizing.

Hope they give the tickets away for free if there is little take-up.

Of course, the media are always looking for reasons to slate the Games no matter where they are held.

Is this just "paper talk"

I think it's just a rumour. We'll get tickets for a few events this week.

• Like 1

:yes: In Spanish, it is BraSil as well. Edited by goose
  • Like 1

The men's volleyball final was a fitting final chapter for Brazil's medals. Italy fought a hard battle, but the 3-0 result was well deserved for us!

Brazil was definitely the favorite playing on home soil. Group stage results posed some questions about them delivering the goods but they managed to pull it off. Poland, being the current World Champions, had higher hopes than to be knocked out in the quarterfinals. The retirement of Wlazly and the absence of Zagumny made life difficult for the Poles. Defending the crown in two years time will be a job and a half. :|
  • Like 2