2016 In Music

My favorite album of the year is either Blackstar (because, Blackstar) or A/B by Kaleo. Now everyone here is quite well aware of the incredible tragic beauty of Blackstar already...but if I've yet to make it crystal clear... KALEO'S A/B IS EXCEPTIONALLY AWESOME!!!

If 2016 is remembered musically for nothing else, please let it be Blackstar and KALEO!

• Like 1

Only two albums this year have hit me in the heart:

Lacuna Coil- Delirium (8/10)

Thrice- To Be Everywhere Is To Be Nowhere (10/10)

I have played the new Thrice album three times now. Early signs show this could be to 2016 what Nightwish's last album was to 2015.

I thought Thrice were a dead band. They went on hiatus, did a couple of tours. That's it. No album since 2011. Five years ago. That album was another masterpiece, but also the first Thrice album to not be a massive change in direction from what had come before. I suspected they'd lost it for good if they had decided to slow things down to what appeared to be a halt, at least creatively. After all they had achieved, all the critical praise and years of building a strong fanbase, and the huge mark left on the punk/hardcore alt rock scene, Thrice could be forgiven for finishing on a high.

Then they come along and released To Be Everywhere Is To Be Nowhere, and I hesitated two weeks before cautiously wondering if they still had it. I reminded myself in that short time of the rest of the bands work and not only did it still sound great, all their albums proved to have that same magic touch that first drove me wild for them back in 2005.

And then I play this new album, and my heart is just consumed with awe and love and gratitude for this wonderful band. The best in their field, and even though it's been a few years since they meant this much to me, they have truly become one of my top tier bands again. I am actally ashamed that i let them drift away for that seemingly never ending length of time.

That list of favourite bands shared with Thrice is honestly short. I know I throw the word favourite around too much. It does demean the value. I admit this. Because when I say Thrice are one of my favourite bands I truly me they are one of the defining bands of my entire life. Back in the day I played them more than most bands, at some points even more so than Lacuna Coil.

They are in my blood, as much as Bruce Springsteen is, as much as Lacuna Coil is, as much as Nightwish...

I can't stress just how beautiful and delightful it is to be reminded of not only how much Thrice mean to me, and how great their music has always been, but also the years of forgotten memories tied to the music.

I love Thrice. I adore them beyond words. When I say favourite, I really do mean to stress that they are virtually peerless. I could wipe out five years of music discoveries, the likes of Rush and Kansas and Bon Jovi, and honestly trade it all in for Thrice.

This rediscovery is the finest event of a so far painful and dreadful year for me. It's not nostalgia, it's not blind fanboyism, it's not hyperbole. Thrice mean so much to me and I had lost sight of that when things became quiet from their camp. But this new album is everything I love about them and yet more than I ever expected from them at this point in time.

I have to acknowledge them as one of the greatest bands in the world, of all time. No one can take away this truth I believe in.

Edited by Segue Myles

Blackstar is my overall favorite album of the year so far as well. If we're strictly talking metal, than that honor goes to What One Becomes (SUMAC) and I don't think any other rock/metal albums I'm really looking forward to dropping will come close to dethroning it (i.e. Devin Townsend).

There's other bands/albums I'd like to give a nod to, but I don't think I feel like doing that till we're closer to the end of 2016 cause there's still a bunch of music to be unleashed this year.

Just gonna make a general statement about this year.

This has been a pretty strong year for me with music. It started out with a bit of a flop with the new Dream Theater but the new Megadeth and Anthrax albums more than make up for it. I discovered a couple bands thanks to this forum, Haken and Oceans Of Slumber (thanks Segue) who both released excellent albums this year. The new Lacuna Coil is really good as well.

For a metal head like me, this year has been going great so far.

The oceans of slumber sure was a slow burn for me, but the wait for it to kick in was worth it

Haken's "Affinity" is a very strong record, any year/decade.

Radiohead's new album (finally got to listen to it) is good if you're into their drony moodscapes.

Frost* "Falling Satellites" is an interesting take on Pop-Prog, some great songs on that.

There's a ton of new music coming out regularly and plenty of places online to keep tabs on it. Which place to visit/subscribe depends on what you like to listen to.

Edited by stoopid

So far:

Hated:

Dream Theater- The Astonishing

Liked:

Lacuna Coil- Delirium

Really enjoyed:

Tremonti- Dust

Rival Sons- Hollow Bones

The Temperance Movement- White Bear

Loved:

Thrice- To Be Everywhere Is To Be Nowhere

Guilty pleasure:

Fifth Harmony- 7/27

The new chili peppers album is actually not bad in my opinion, and I thought it would sound all washed up and awful. Once you stop listening to it so much as a chili peppers album and more as just an album, it's easier to notice the many subtleties Danger Mouse and Nigel Godrich were able to add to the music. It's really very spacey and chilled out, but in a good way. No, nothing really stands up against Californication or Under The Bridge, and nothing really gets your blood pumping like Can't Stop or Dani California, but there's a solid record there.