Star Trek: Beyond -- 2nd Trailer

Principled Man

I read a chunk of a review calling it Fast 'n Furious in space, saying Trek fans will be left wanting.

That doesn't surprise me at all.

I read a chunk of a review calling it Fast 'n Furious in space, saying Trek fans will be left wanting.

Oh boy. Fast & Furious. Shit. If it were Star Wars I wouldn't care. I like Star Wars but I accept that it's about the toys and for kids. Trek should be smarter. Of course.

• Like 1

Oh boy. Fast & Furious. Shit. If it were Star Wars I wouldn't care. I like Star Wars but I accept that it's about the toys and for kids. Trek should be smarter. Of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd5yB9Vmd6I

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd5yB9Vmd6I

:LOL:

Actually, I do think of Next Generation and all the other series that followed like that. I'm not a big fan of all that to be honest. I dislike Data and many other NextGen characters (Wil Wheaton is just the champ). Yeah, I said that. I hated that emotion chip in whatever movie that was. I'm more into the original crew (the show mainly). Even with those original crew movies I really only liked 2 & 6. The others had bits and pieces I liked but overall I didn't like 1, 3, 4, and 5 all that much. Yeah, I didn't like 4 too much. I said that too.

• Like 1

Just got back from Beyond... loved it. They've finally managed to capture the spirit of Star Trek, develop the characters beyond parodies of their former selves, and find a balance between action and dialogue. It's a fantastic movie, easily the best of the new Trek era.

It was a little sad to watch Anton Yelchin's last on screen performance, seeing how refined and enthused he's become in his role. It was stunning to see how much progress he'd made, with his cadence and the tone of his voice reminding me more and more of Walter Koening's portrayal as things went on. I didn't realize how bittersweet it would be to see his character. The movie also contained really fitting tribute to Leonard Nimoy, without breaking the fourth wall at all.

I have some criticisms of the filmography, often a little too jittery and fast paced; and some shots were a little dark, making things hard to follow. I actually think this movie will play better downsized to home media.

All in all, I'd give it a good 4/5. Coming in as my 5th favorite Trek movie. (subject to change with reviewings)

First Contact

II: The Wrath of Khan

VI: The Undiscovered Country

Insurrection

Beyond

IV: The Voyage Home

Star Trek 2009

Generations

V: The Final Frontier

III: The Search for Spock

Into Darkness

The Motion Picture

Nemesis

• Like 3

Just got back from Beyond... loved it. They've finally managed to capture the spirit of Star Trek, develop the characters beyond parodies of their former selves, and find a balance between action and dialogue. It's a fantastic movie, easily the best of the new Trek era.

It was a little sad to watch Anton Yelchin's last on screen performance, seeing how refined and enthused he's become in his role. It was stunning to see how much progress he'd made, with his cadence and the tone of his voice reminding me more and more of Walter Koening's portrayal as things went on. I didn't realize how bittersweet it would be to see his character. The movie also contained really fitting tribute to Leonard Nimoy, without breaking the fourth wall at all.

I have some criticisms of the filmography, often a little too jittery and fast paced; and some shots were a little dark, making things hard to follow. I actually think this movie will play better downsized to home media.

All in all, I'd give it a good 4/5. Coming in as my 5th favorite Trek movie. (subject to change with reviewings)

First Contact

Insurrection

Beyond

Star Trek 2009

Generations

Into Darkness

The Motion Picture

Nemesis

Great to hear!

Thanks for the details without any spoilery stuff.

I may see this in the cine after all.

• Like 1

First Contact

Insurrection

Beyond

Star Trek 2009

Generations

Into Darkness

The Motion Picture

Nemesis

Wow really? I'm surprised. Glad you liked it and glad it's decent this time.

• Like 1

First Contact

Insurrection

Beyond

Star Trek 2009

Generations

Into Darkness

The Motion Picture

Nemesis

Awesome man, can't wait! As the giant Trek fan you are your opinion on this movie matters a lot to me!

I have to wait until Monday night but it'll be worth it.

Now to only STAY AWAY from spoilers and crap until then :D

• Like 1

First Contact

Insurrection

Beyond

Star Trek 2009

Generations

Into Darkness

The Motion Picture

Nemesis

Awesome man, can't wait! As the giant Trek fan you are your opinion on this movie matters a lot to me!

I have to wait until Monday night but it'll be worth it.

Now to only STAY AWAY from spoilers and crap until then :D

Yeah I to wait till Monday as well.

I saw it this evening and I have to agree that it's very good. I was quite surprised. Much better than the others. They have captured the camaraderie between the characters much better here. They aren't the original guys but they aren't bad. Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 2

I saw it this evening and I have to agree that it's very good. I was quite surprised. Much better than the others. They have captured the camaraderie between the characters much better here. They aren't the original guys but they aren't bad.

Cool! I think between you and Ken, I've decided to see it in the theater. Was kind of on the fence before. Don't know when it even hits theaters here though.

• Like 1

I saw it this evening and I have to agree that it's very good. I was quite surprised. Much better than the others. They have captured the camaraderie between the characters much better here. They aren't the original guys but they aren't bad.

Cool! I think between you and Ken, I've decided to see it in the theater. Was kind of on the fence before. Don't know when it even hits theaters here though.

I definitely more excited to see this Monday afternoon.

• Like 1

Paramount Pictures, Skydance and Bad Robot have confirmed that Chris Hemsworth will once again play George Kirk in Star Trek 4.

Apparently, Captain James T. Kirk will meet his father in some way, shape or form. How the makers of Star Trek 4 will pull this off is anyone's guess..... :huh: :huh:

http://www.comingsoo...worth-returning

Edited by Principled Man

Just got back from seeing Star Trek: Beyond. VERY entertaining! It was fast, it was furious, it was chock full of special effects wonders!! Good banter between the crew, especially between Spock and McCoy. Krall, the main villain, had some surprising attributes! Starbase Yorktown was absolutely amazing. The Federation and Star Fleet sure got busy in this alternate timeline! Of course, there was a very good tribute to Leonard Nimoy in the film.

While Star Trek: Beyond was mostly a good old fashioned popcorn movie, it did address one important issue - Why are you out here in deep space, exploring the galaxy? What is your purpose for being out here, risking your life and the lives of your shipmates? If you're going to live out here, hundreds of light-years away from home/Earth, then you had better embrace it! You had better be fully committed to it! You just can't say, "Yeah, I'm in....more or less." ;) ;)

• Like 1

I saw this movie yesterday afternoon, and your review speaks for me as well, especially the jittery camerawork making the action sequences a little hard to follow. A little less shake and a few less edits are all that are needed. Christopher Nolan learned this after "Batman Begins" -- the action and fight scenes in "The Dark Knight" were much easier on the senses.

• Like 1

I saw this movie yesterday afternoon, and your review speaks for me as well, especially the jittery camerawork making the action sequences a little hard to follow. A little less shake and a few less edits are all that are needed. Christopher Nolan learned this after "Batman Begins" -- the action and fight scenes in "The Dark Knight" were much easier on the senses.

Yes, I also had a bit of a problem with the camerawork. Some of it was just plain unnecessary. The film was indeed "fast and furious", which led to some scenes that were difficult to follow.

It was a good old fashioned action-adventure Star Trek episode. Not every Star Trek film has to be super-intellectual or philosophical. It was a good ride.....a bit bumpy here and there, but overall, it was great.

Beyond was garbage. We drove 90 minutes to see it at a great theater. The entire time I was waiting for this "great film" to get good. It had some moments and I have some questions. I want to avoid spoilers for now.

2 out if 5 stars.

Beyond was garbage. We drove 90 minutes to see it at a great theater. The entire time I was waiting for this "great film" to get good. It had some moments and I have some questions. I want to avoid spoilers for now.

2 out if 5 stars.

"2 out of 5" is a good score for being "garbage" and "having questions". Are you just being nice and really want to give it a "1" or "0" because you should if you thought it really was trash?

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

2 out if 5 stars.

"2 out of 5" is a good score for being "garbage" and "having questions". Are you just being nice and really want to give it a "1" or "0" because you should if you thought it really was trash?

I liked it personally however I can see a lot of people not liking it or thinking it was even as good as the last two reboot films (my wife being one of them). I think this movie, for me, also seemed to begin like it was right in the middle of something right away that could lose non-Trek fans. I can totally see many people getting lost as to what's happening, which you couldn't really say about the other two movies prior.

** SPOILERS **

The whole feel of the movie is very different than the last two. Completely. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. Chris Pine is playing Kirk as if he is indeed a much older and wiser man and I think that was a good move. They gave Bones, Scotty, and Uhura a lot more screen time and this was great to see. Also that new girl (the white one w/ the black face paint, I don't remember her name) did a great job and if she accepts the offer to join Starfleet we might even see her in the next movie, possibly even filling Checkov's station.

The pacing of the movie seemed more on par with the TV show, and everything wasn't a mile a minute which was good. But when the action scenes come, holy shit are they intense! The destruction of the Enterprise was gut-wrenching to watch, even though I knew it was coming a mile away. To me this was worse to watch than when the ENT-D crashed in Generations. They took that poor thing apart in a terrible and believable way but that's to good direction to elicit that kind of emotion from me IMO.

I liked how Spock changed his mind about sticking with the Enterprise after seeing that old photo of the Prime crew (damn, that was AWESOME to have in this by the way.) Karl Urban's Bones is a highlight, and Scotty was voicing a lot of true Trek values which has been sorely lacking in the other reboots. The Franklin was GREAT!! Damn, I wanted them to just keep it and fly around in that thing for the next movie! The Yorktown is spectacular, perhaps the most visually impressive thing we've ever seen in a Trek movie so far.

And what could have potentially been the cheesiest moment in all of Trek- Playing that 'frequency' over the VHF waves to disrupt the ships- turned out to be incredibly awesome! Even the motorcycle scene that was so reviled in the first trailer made a lot of sense and was great.

I'll definitely have to see this again, probably as soon as Friday or Saturday. I need some time to soak it in as there was a lot going on. If they made it a bit more cohesive I think it would have been better, but I also think we finally got another real Trek movie again instead of an action movie disguised as Trek.

• Like 1

2 out if 5 stars.

I liked it personally however I can see a lot of people not liking it or thinking it was even as good as the last two reboot films (my wife being one of them). I think this movie, for me, also seemed to begin like it was right in the middle of something right away that could lose non-Trek fans. I can totally see many people getting lost as to what's happening, which you couldn't really say about the other two movies prior.

** SPOILERS **

The whole feel of the movie is very different than the last two. Completely. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. Chris Pine is playing Kirk as if he is indeed a much older and wiser man and I think that was a good move. They gave Bones, Scotty, and Uhura a lot more screen time and this was great to see. Also that new girl (the white one w/ the black face paint, I don't remember her name) did a great job and if she accepts the offer to join Starfleet we might even see her in the next movie, possibly even filling Checkov's station.

The pacing of the movie seemed more on par with the TV show, and everything wasn't a mile a minute which was good. But when the action scenes come, holy shit are they intense! The destruction of the Enterprise was gut-wrenching to watch, even though I knew it was coming a mile away. To me this was worse to watch than when the ENT-D crashed in Generations. They took that poor thing apart in a terrible and believable way but that's to good direction to elicit that kind of emotion from me IMO.

I liked how Spock changed his mind about sticking with the Enterprise after seeing that old photo of the Prime crew (damn, that was AWESOME to have in this by the way.) Karl Urban's Bones is a highlight, and Scotty was voicing a lot of true Trek values which has been sorely lacking in the other reboots. The Franklin was GREAT!! Damn, I wanted them to just keep it and fly around in that thing for the next movie! The Yorktown is spectacular, perhaps the most visually impressive thing we've ever seen in a Trek movie so far.

And what could have potentially been the cheesiest moment in all of Trek- Playing that 'frequency' over the VHF waves to disrupt the ships- turned out to be incredibly awesome! Even the motorcycle scene that was so reviled in the first trailer made a lot of sense and was great.

I'll definitely have to see this again, probably as soon as Friday or Saturday. I need some time to soak it in as there was a lot going on. If they made it a bit more cohesive I think it would have been better, but I also think we finally got another real Trek movie again instead of an action movie disguised as Trek.

I agree with everything you said. The entire feel of this movie was different. Much more like classic Trek and even though I'm still not a fan of the new crew I think they did a good job of updating it but still keeping the classic feel. I didn't care at all for the other two reboot movies. They didn't feel like ST to me. This is much closer.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

Yes, I also had a bit of a problem with the camerawork. Some of it was just plain unnecessary. The film was indeed "fast and furious", which led to some scenes that were difficult to follow.

It was a good old fashioned action-adventure Star Trek episode. Not every Star Trek film has to be super-intellectual or philosophical. It was a good ride.....a bit bumpy here and there, but overall, it was great.

I thought the digital projector in the theatre I saw it in wasn't working properly. Some of the dark scenes were very difficult to see anything. I sort of want to see it again to see if it will improve in another theatre. This was bothering me through the whole movie so I had a hard time enjoying it as much as I should have.

I liked it overall, but I had a hard time believing the motivation for Krall. It seemed really weak and more like a ripoff of the Wrath of Khan. And why do they have to keep destroying The Enterprize?

I noticed that Simon Pegg was credited with the writing so it looks like they're following in the tradition of the original movies by involving the cast with the actual making of the movies.

I thought the digital projector in the theatre I saw it in wasn't working properly. Some of the dark scenes were very difficult to see anything. I sort of want to see it again to see if it will improve in another theatre. This was bothering me through the whole movie so I had a hard time enjoying it as much as I should have.

Which version did you see? Regular or 3D? With most 3D movies the picture is darker than you'd want it to be.

And why do they have to keep destroying The Enterprize?

They haven't destroyed an Enterprise since Star Trek Generations.

The Enterprise usually does not fare well in movies:

The Wrath of Khan: Shot up all to hell by Khan. Assigned for Decomission. (original 1701)

The Search for Spock: Stolen then destroyed. (original 1701)

The Voyage Home: Not the Enterprise, but ended up crashed in San Francisco bay. Presumably scrapped. (stolen Klingon ship)

The Undiscovered Country: Shot up all to hell by a cloaked bird of prey. Decomissioned. (1701 A)

Generations: Badly damaged by the Nexus. Was repaired. (1701 B), Destroyed. (1701 D)

First Contact: Partially assimilated by the Borg. Was repaired. (1701 E)

Insurrection: Shot up all to hell by the Son'a, lost its warp core. Was repaired. (1701 E)

Nemesis: Shot up all to hell, then physically collided with the Scimitar. Was repaired. (1701 E)

Star Trek 09: Shot up all to hell by the Nereda. Was repaired. (New 1701)

Into Darkness: Shot up all to hell by the USS Vengeance. Was repaired. (New 1701)

Beyond: Destroyed. (New 1701)

Original Kirk and Picard both lost one. It's only fair New Kirk get the same treatment.

Edited by KenJennings

Which version did you see? Regular or 3D? With most 3D movies the picture is darker than you'd want it to be.

It was the non-3D version.

I used to work as a projectionist so I tend to be a little critical of audio-visual experience in movie theatres. One time I even went into a projection booth at a drive-in (as a patron) and adjusted the focus because no one was there. The digital projectors are totally automated now so things like focus, frame, and gate pressure aren't issues like they were with the old 35mm projectors. Anyway, I'm sure the digital projector had something going on with it. The contrast was horrible and there was a white halo around everything like a JJ Abrams movie using too much lens flare. It was as if the projector lens was really dirty. I'm wondering if the light source was going bad.

This is why I find it interesting that others have commented on the darkness of the film and it makes me want to see it again.