What Heavy Metal RUSH Song Are You Currently Listening To? v.1

JohnRogers

I admit I'm a little late here, but bare with me. I just found the forum, and honestly I had to toss in my two cents here. Plus I don't think two weeks can be considered necroposting by any reasonable standard.

Anyway, rftag is absolutely right. Early Rush was absolutely marketed as metal. By any contemporary standard of the time, they were unequivocally metal We can use Fly By Night the album as an example, and Black Sabbath as a comparison. Literally no one can deny Sabbath is metal. They are widely recognized as having invented the genre.

So, let's do that comparo. FBN came out in '75, between Sabbath's Sabbath Bloody Sabbath('73) and Sabotage('75). The entire A side of FBN (excepting "By-tor...", which we'll circle back to) is harder and heavier than anything on either of those two albums except Sabotage's "Hole In The Sky" and "Symptom of the Universe", and BATSD is heavier than all but SOTU.And that's mighty tight. SBS pales in metal status next to FBN. This is Black Sabbath. The godfathers of metal. Getting, ahem, thrashed at making metal by a couple of dorky Canucks outta Toronto. I just don't see how anyone can try and say Rush were "never metal" without retconning the entire history of metal. If Rush weren't metal in '75, than neither were Sabbath. And EVERYBODY knows Sabbath was, is, and always will be metal. Excepting the blasphemous Dio days, may the gods of metal forgive them.

Heck, moving onto CoS, even Lakeside Park is more metal than the disastrously synth-heavy "Who Are You?" on SBS. How can anyone even try and say "Bastille Day"'s not metal? It's heavier than "Hand Of Doom" and that's off Paranoid for cryin' out loud. Really right up until and after the release of 2112, Rush was keeping pace with contemporary metal, underground and rising punk scenes notwithstanding. Again, without rewriting the history of metal, you can't honestly say Rush was never metal.

• Like 1