Music Documentaries and/or Concert Films DVD / Blu-rays

The Cat 3

If you love The Moody Blues, here are three:

1. The Making of Red Rocks

2. Access All Areas

3. Classic Artists Documentary Series

This last one is excellent. Very long and very thorough. i don't know the details, but I think it was (is?) a series on British television.

• Like 1

Let's not forget "The Boys in Brazil" from RIO . That was great.

Also "The Story Of Anvil".

"Soul Power" A fantastic Documentary covering the music festival in Kinshasa to

accompany the "Rumble in the Jungle" in 1974. Fascinating to see how some of the Black giants

of the Soul and Blues scene felt being in Africa and being treated with nothing but respect.

The performances are very very powerful.

https://www.youtube....h?v=DzAylBftstQ

"Wattstax" Also known as the "Black Woodstock".

It tells the story of a benefit concert held in 1972 in LA. It featured many of the Stax records most prominent artists.

The crowd was estimated to be around 112,000 (mostly African-American,) and was also policed by an exclusively Black force.

https://www.youtube....tax documentary

Edited by foghorn-leghorn
  • Like 4

Was inspired by Tex Mike and going with "Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers Classic Albums: Damn the Torpedoes".

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/510RuMa0zqL.jpg

Pretty much all of those Classic Albums programs are great. Their only flaw is being so short that they don't always get around to covering an album's best tracks in enough depth. Or like in Rush's case, they try to cram 2 albums that each deserve their own program into one.

Edit: just thought of another very good doc. "All Together Now", which is the story of how The Beatles' Love cirque du soleil show in Vegas came together. Good interviews with Paul, Ringo and the widows of Lennon and Harrison about their input into the staging, as well as an interesting look at how George Martin and his son carefully remixed the music. Also rehearsals, interviews with the performers and a good bit of footage from opening night, which the surviving band members and widows attended.

Edited by TexMike
  • Like 1

The one about Lemmy is great.

So true!

I love when he goes into the record shop looking for The Beatles Mono Box set and one of the employees has it on hold for herself and parts with it for him. You got a real sense of what a genuine person he was and of his love for music.

He also had a real human moment that kind of wasn't really what you might expect when only see them in concert but there was one scene with his son in the house and someone asked what was the most valuable thing in that room full of collectibles, he said, without hesitation, his son.

• Like 2

Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me

:yes: 'Like' x1000

Also-

Bob Dylan- No Direction Home

Joni Mitchell- Woman of Heart and Mind: A Life Story

The Black Crowes- Cabin Fever (this documents the live-in-the-studio recording of their last album of new original material- a double album [before the Frost...Until the Freeze]- at Levon Helm's barn, in February and March of 2009)

I'll have to post more later...I know there are a bunch I'm not thinking of at the moment.

On the Black Crowes front (I know, I know, I talk about them more than any other member here...about 90% of you must really tire of my loquaciousness, but hey, I don't care- sometimes I just have to...and this is one of those times):

I know I mentioned the Cabin Fever release first, but for just a straight-ahead document of a live show, the Warpaint Live DVD is just fantastic. All culled from a single show at the Wiltern Theater in Los Angeles, 20 March 2008- they played the Warpaint album in its entirety, and then filled the second half of the show with some earlier songs, and a couple of cover tunes.

Visually, it's just...cool. It's just very, very cool. True rock and roll in the 21st century. (Always have to include the 'and roll' part of rock and roll, when it comes to this band). Chris Robinson's flailing around and curious hippie rain-dancing of the early and mid-'90s (as thrilling as that once was to see) is gone, replaced with a purely confident, self-assured front man. And the band is in top form.

I guess this turned into more a review than just a listing or a recommendation, didn't it?

Oh well. You love it, and you know it. :P

Just finished watching the BBC documentary about Genesis entitled, "Sum of the Parts".

Overall it was well done and a great primer of the band and it's history.

I've been a fan of Genesis since "A Trick of the Tail", so there wasn't much in the way of information I didn't already know about the band.

I did find the section of "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" and the accompanying tour, etc. interesting.

It really divided the band's history into "Peter Genesis" and "Phil Genesis".

There was a lack of coverage of Steve Hackett's involvement.

In my opinion, it could have been much longer.

Edited by ReGorLaTroy
  • Like 1

Started watching KISS KISSology Vol. 1 yesterday. It is jammed packed with great live footage from 1974-1977. What a great trip down memory lane this is...can't wait to continue watching.

http://img1.imagesbn.com/p/894316001444_p0_v2_s260x420.jpg

http://www.fulltv.com.ar/images/peliculas/ac-dc-let-there-be-rock-la-pelicula.jpg

http://www.chromedreams.co.uk/ekmps/shops/chromedreams/images/kraftwerk-and-the-electronic-revolution-595-p.jpg

• Like 1

Started watching KISS KISSology Vol. 1 yesterday. It is jammed packed with great live footage from 1974-1977. What a great trip down memory lane this is...can't wait to continue watching.

http://img1.imagesbn.com/p/894316001444_p0_v2_s260x420.jpg

The funny thing about that set is that many fans (including me) have had bootlegs of those shows for decades and in BETTER quality than what KISS finally released. Although I will say they did a good job beefing up the audio on some of them.

It is a nice package and there were a couple gems I actually hadn't seen like the Cadillac High live clips. I always hoped they were sitting on a ton of unseen 70s footage, but turns out they have about the same amount of video as the fans do.

• Like 1

Mentioned previously but really excellent - Lambert & Stamp (amazing story behind the beginnings of The Who - great early footage), The Eagles doc (maybe the best rock documentary ever! And I am not a huge fan - but what a look behind the scenes of the rock star scene), Muscle Shoals doc. Have you all seen Searching for Sugarman? What an unbelievable story.
  • Like 2