Rank the KING'S X discography for me please

I'm listening to a lot of Ogre Tones today. It's hit and miss, and I still have no idea why they did another recording of "Goldilox" and "Freedom"...but for old school King's X vocals, harmony, feel, etc...I highly recommend "Mudd". Sad and beautiful song...

https://www.youtube....h?v=IygNjbdCNTw

Concerning "Freedom", I heard that Doug was a huge fan of that song and always felt it deserved more than B-side status. So he talked Ty into remaking it and putting it on a proper album.

With "Goldilox", Doug said that Michael Wagener liked the song and wanted to produce his own version of it. So they did it for him.

Good info there. I forget some of the finer details over the years. :D Wasn't the original "Two" a B-side also? They redid it for Black Like Sunday...I love both versions, just heavy!

• Like 1

Ear Candy is now my fav album.

it is so perfect.

Mick

Odd...I just like it.

Then again I could do with putting the first three records on an extended break just so I can give the other records a real try!

I really enjoyed Ogre Tones. That one will be revisited often!

• Like 2

it is so perfect.

Mick

It been a long while since I've listened to some of the earlier-mid albums like Ear Candy...then I'm reminded of the track list. Pretty much every song is a gem in my book. I think it's my #1 now also.

• Like 2

1. Gretchen Goes to Nebraska

2. Out of the Silent Planet

3. Kings X

4. Dogman

5. Faith Hope Love

6. Tapehead

7. Please Come Home Mr Bulbous

8. Ear Candy

9. Ogre Tones

10. Manic Moonlight

11. Black Like Sunday

12. Sneak Preview

I'm listening to a lot of Ogre Tones today. It's hit and miss, and I still have no idea why they did another recording of "Goldilox" and "Freedom"...but for old school King's X vocals, harmony, feel, etc...I highly recommend "Mudd". Sad and beautiful song...

https://www.youtube....h?v=IygNjbdCNTw

Concerning "Freedom", I heard that Doug was a huge fan of that song and always felt it deserved more than B-side status. So he talked Ty into remaking it and putting it on a proper album.

With "Goldilox", Doug said that Michael Wagener liked the song and wanted to produce his own version of it. So they did it for him.

Good info there. I forget some of the finer details over the years. :D Wasn't the original "Two" a B-side also? They redid it for Black Like Sunday...I love both versions, just heavy!

I think "Two" was a Japanese bonus on TH ... I might be wrong there, but that is my recollection. But yes, the one true great one on BLS.

• Like 1

it is so perfect.

Mick

It been a long while since I've listened to some of the earlier-mid albums like Ear Candy...then I'm reminded of the track list. Pretty much every song is a gem in my book. I think it's my #1 now also.

A box is one of the best pop/rock songs ever, IMO.

Mick

it is so perfect.

Mick

Mick

Playing it now...oh boy I think Ear Candy is one of those albums that I love a lot more than I ever remember!

Yes this could easily top the first three albums. I think I confuse this one with Tapehead. I found that one unmemorable.

I still plan to collect every album.

• Like 1

it is so perfect.

Mick

Odd...I just like it.

Then again I could do with putting the first three records on an extended break just so I can give the other records a real try!

You might like XV also. It came out 3 years or so after Ogre Tones. But I think the best songs off Tones top the best of XV. Bebop isn't really my jam but ahhwhompbompaloowhomp...it's all good. ;)

it is so perfect.

Mick

Odd...I just like it.

You might like XV also. It came out 3 years or so after Ogre Tones. But I think the best songs off Tones top the best of XV. Bebop isn't really my jam but ahhwhompbompaloowhomp...it's all good. ;)

I love Pray. It's all I know...

I know this is going to sound silly...but I really hate that Ogre Tones has a F word. I know being a rock/metal fan I should be over swearing...but it's a major beef for me. I hate Get Ready anyway...but I'd be gutted if I enjoyed a song by KX with swearing like that.

I'll keep trying the later stuff.

granted i've only heard bits and pieces but nothing's impreassed me.

but that means nothing, lol

Mick

Spotify is my method of choice for bands like this.

I might collect everything, I might not.

• Like 1

it is so perfect.

Mick

Mick

They extended that one live. Yep, It is an incredible song.

• Like 1

KIngs X are probably my favourite band of all time, but what a lot of people don't know is that they are very nice people indeed.

I went with my wife (who is wheelchair bound) to see them in Germany a few years back...as usual they sat at their desk signing autographs and chatting to fans...we realised that they were on a riser so decided not to bother as the wheelchair couldnt get up....without being asked, gerry gaskill came over and asked us to wait a bit...when the stampede was over they came down and had a few drinks with us at the bar...i have photos i will need to dig out...think they spent a couple of hours with us.

two years later we went to see them in Milwaukee....unbelievably Gerry recognised us and made sure we got right down to the front so my wife could see...after that we ended up drinking with them and the road crew till the small hours

a couple of days later in Chicago, they did the same, getting a bouncer to "look after" us and getting us behind the enclosure so we had a great view.....margaret ended up nattering to Doug Pinnicks Uncle and friend while having a cigarette

They say never meet your heros...these guys are the exception.

Edited by Fridge
  • Like 3

King's X have easily become one of my most cherished bands.

Alongside Kansas, they are the biggest and most important musical discovery I have made as a result of this forum!

I truly cannot imagine life without them. They easily sit alongside Rush as one of my very favourite bands, perhaps even more so now!

• Like 3

King's X have easily become one of my most cherished bands.

Alongside Kansas, they are the biggest and most important musical discovery I have made as a result of this forum!

I truly cannot imagine life without them. They easily sit alongside Rush as one of my very favourite bands, perhaps even more so now!

Welcome to the club...once initiated, there's no going back lol

• Like 3

I saw ReGor having a KX marathon last year.

One play of the debut...changed my life, at least in terms of my musical interest.

Kansas and Styx. Two bands I discovered via this forum. I cannot truly explain how grateful I am! I will probably be repeating this in every post haha!

• Like 1

I think the first song I ever heard by them was "King" and that was on MTV, just after it had been released....I was blown away by the sound and wanted to hear more...Ty Tabors guitar tone on these first four albums is one of the most sought after in history
  • Like 1

I think the first song I ever heard by them was "King" and that was on MTV, just after it had been released....I was blown away by the sound and wanted to hear more...Ty Tabors guitar tone on these first four albums is one of the most sought after in history

Those first four albums have a perfect sound, their sound hooked me before the songs did!

Eat Candy shares a lot of it as well funnily enough!

• Like 2

it is so perfect.

Mick

Mick

Playing it now...oh boy I think Ear Candy is one of those albums that I love a lot more than I ever remember!

Yes this could easily top the first three albums. I think I confuse this one with Tapehead. I found that one unmemorable.

Tape Head was a grower for me. It is now one of my favorite ones. I think it was the last great KX album. Everything after it has been patchy. Although Ogre Tones is pretty close to recapturing the glory.

• Like 2

KIngs X are probably my favourite band of all time, but what a lot of people don't know is that they are very nice people indeed.

I went with my wife (who is wheelchair bound) to see them in Germany a few years back...as usual they sat at their desk signing autographs and chatting to fans...we realised that they were on a riser so decided not to bother as the wheelchair couldnt get up....without being asked, gerry gaskill came over and asked us to wait a bit...when the stampede was over they came down and had a few drinks with us at the bar...i have photos i will need to dig out...think they spent a couple of hours with us.

two years later we went to see them in Milwaukee....unbelievably Gerry recognised us and made sure we got right down to the front so my wife could see...after that we ended up drinking with them and the road crew till the small hours

a couple of days later in Chicago, they did the same, getting a bouncer to "look after" us and getting us behind the enclosure so we had a great view.....margaret ended up nattering to Doug Pinnicks Uncle and friend while having a cigarette

Very cool. As someone who also uses a wheelchair, I can relate to obstacles out in a public setting that can seem so small but they can really limit access. From all I've ever heard or read about Dug, Ty, and Jerry...I can see they really connect with their fans.

• Like 2

it is so perfect.

Mick

Mick

Tape Head was a grower for me. It is now one of my favorite ones. I think it was the last great KX album. Everything after it has been patchy. Although Ogre Tones is pretty close to recapturing the glory.

Tape Head is really strong in my view. I'm such a huge fan of Ear Candy and Bulbous...so I feel that things got patchy (good word) Manic Moonlight forward. It probably didn't help them keep focus while putting out a ton of solo/side projects.

• Like 1

Very cool. As someone who also uses a wheelchair, I can relate to obstacles out in a public setting that can seem so small but they can really limit access. From all I've ever heard or read about Dug, Ty, and Jerry...I can see they really connect with their fans.

Yes they do - I have some pics too I will have to find, some from 1998 that my friend took -- my friend kept the originals but I have b/w scanned copies. :| I have a couple of me with Ty and Jerry from 2006 too, and they are the originals. I will have to find those and post them as well. They are good guys.

• Like 1

it is so perfect.

Mick

Mick

Tape Head is really strong in my view. I'm such a huge fan of Ear Candy and Bulbous...so I feel that things got patchy (good word) Manic Moonlight forward. It probably didn't help them keep focus while putting out a ton of solo/side projects.

Yea the solo projects I never really got too much into, with the exception of Ty - I love Moonflower Lane and Safety.