Band of the week

djflex

Wow...it's been two years since we did this? Time to revive the thread.

This week's band: Oasis

Oasis is a band I'm familiar with through their hits, but I've never really dug into their catalog. I've actually heard more of Noel Gallagher's solo stuff, which I think is brilliant. Time to see what all the fuss was about back in the late 90's...

• Like 4

Oasis - Definitely Maybe (1994)

What better place to start than at the beginning? With their debut album, Oasis exploded onto the scene. The opening track harkens "I'd Like To Teach The World to Sing" from the 70s, but with heavy guitars and pounding drums. Appropriate, considering they'd soon be selling out huge stadiums full of fans singing along word for word. With Live Forever, we hear just the kind of song that this band will be famous for, a catchy mid-tempo rocker. Supersonic, which comes later, is another that exemplifies what will be the sigbature Oasis sound. Rock and Roll Star is an infectious tune that's just begging to be an arena staple. The song has a great hook, and Liam Ghallagher's lennon-esque vocals are used to perfection.

Cigarettes and Alcohol, features a basic T-Rex rhythm guitar, heavied up considerably, and punked out rebellious lyrics vocals.

It's Good to be Free is plodding at first, but then the addition of a perfect little riff snaps the listener to attention. Great solo in this song, and a clever concertina outro, too.

Another balls-out rocker, Bring It On Down. One gets a sense that this must have been one of the first tracks the band wrote. Very punk, garage band stuff. Still, there's that underlying slickness...

I can see why this band got so big...

Edited by goose
  • Like 5

Oasis is a band I'm familiar with through their hits, but I've never really dug into their catalog. I've actually heard more of Noel Gallagher's solo stuff, which I think is brilliant. Time to see what all the fuss was about back in the late 90's...

I am a HUGE fan of their first 3 albums, but sort of lost interest after that.

And i have been listening to them the last 2 nights before falling asleep. Coincidence!

Edited by Mithrandir
  • Like 1

I am a HUGE fan of their first 3 albums, but sort of lost interest after that.

And i have been listening to them the last 2 nights before falling asleep. Coincidence!

:ebert:

Looking forward to diving into the sophomore effort.

Definitely Maybe is the best. What’s The Story is close, but has a couple more filleting tracks, and nothing as adrenalizing as Rock N Roll Star or Supersonic
  • Like 1

Definitely Maybe is the best. What’s The Story is close, but has a couple more filleting tracks, and nothing as adrenalizing as Rock N Roll Star or Supersonic

I'm more familiar with the Morninglory hits, and was surprised by the heaviness of DefMay. Pleasantly. Edited by goose
  • Like 1

I prefer Whats the story Morning Glory over Defmaybe.

What's is among my top 20 or so albums of all time. I enjoy every song.

Morning Glory is my favorite too, but both albums are great

• Like 1

WTS is peak Brit pop, but I don’t love She’s Electric or the title track, and Hello isn’t as great of an opener as RNRS was for DefMay. I’m pretty darn nostalgic towards the debut though, seeing as I bought it on my trip to Ireland in high school and those first four cuts soundtracked my week. Really both are top notch albums, I just prefer the attitude of the debut over the widescreen presentation of the follow up.
  • Like 1

220px-Oasis_-_%28What%27s_The_Story%29_Morning_Glory_album_cover.jpg

No sophomore slump for this band, if album sales are any measure. While the DefMaybe debut sold 8 million globally, the follow-up What's the Story Morning Glory was an absolute monster, selling a cool 22 million units. Upon hearing for the first time in full, what stands out immediately is a significant shift in sound. Still present are the influential melodic undertones that harken the Beatles and the in your face attitude of the Sex Pistols (not unlike a late 70's Cheap Trick), but the overall sound is softer, with much more of an acoustic feel. Also notable is a more refined songwriting formula from Noel Gallagher and the addition of drummer Alan White, the latter of which really grabbed my attention. A final innovation is the album's use of brickwalling, which resulted in an almost live sound, with bigger than life vocals.

The songs... EP, you're dead on when you say that What's the Story... contains "nothing as adrenalizing as Rock N Roll Star or Supersonic". There are no real rockers on this album (other than the Swamp Song excerpts). Instead, the album consists of one nouveau punk power-ballad after another. Like it's predecessor, this album's songs are made for leading big arena crowds in sing-along. The opener, Hello, sets that mood perfectly, and Roll With It's chorus keeps it...well...rolling. And the we get Wonderwall...and Don't Look Back In Anger...and Champagne Supernova...and...

I can see why, at the time, this band was sometimes referred to as a Beatles cover band. Like so many Beatles albums, What's the Story... is just loaded with songs that are irresistibly catchy, but not in a sugary pop sense. Noel Gallagher's work here is just strong songwriting, and the band's execution of them is spot on.

• Like 2

WTS is peak Brit pop, but I don’t love She’s Electric or the title track, and Hello isn’t as great of an opener as RNRS was for DefMay. I’m pretty darn nostalgic towards the debut though, seeing as I bought it on my trip to Ireland in high school and those first four cuts soundtracked my week. Really both are top notch albums, I just prefer the attitude of the debut over the widescreen presentation of the follow up.

The title track is epic!!!! I love She's Electric.

220px-Standing_on_the_shoulder_of_giants.jpg

Fast forward to Y2K...Standing on the Shoulder of Giants

What's The Story... is peak Brit pop....

You're right, EP, and for that it was brilliant. It's a hard record not to enjoy, and 22 million in sales testifies to that. But, do I love it? No. WTSMG brought a somewhat softer sound with a slicker production, but I did miss the punch of the debut. Along comes their fourth album to fix that.

Let start by saying that I love this album. The brickwalled production is just perfect for these heavier songs, for the crunchier guitars, for the masterful use of NOISE. The opener is a great example of the latter, being an instrumental with the only lyrics consisting of clips of a man referencing kids f-ing in the bushes. Just brilliant. Go Let It Out continues in the same vain. Heavy, crunchy misanthropy, as if to say to their fans, "You love us? Well f*ck you!" This is a band doing what it wants in the face of huge success. Hearing these songs, I imagine members of the Cure and the Church getting together and making a tribute album of the Beatles best psychedelic songs. From Noel Gallagher: I worked harder on that album than anything before and anything since. Yeah, it shows. I can understand why this album wasn't a popular one (it debuted at #24, and quickly dropped to #84), as it doesn't contain the signature Oasis brit-pop hits. Instead, as Noel says, the album contains real pieces of music. Oasis, with Gallagher's songwriting, always had keen craftsmanship, but here there is real artistry as well.

A keeper.

• Like 1

220px-Standing_on_the_shoulder_of_giants.jpg

Fast forward to Y2K...Standing on the Shoulder of Giants

What's The Story... is peak Brit pop....

You're right, EP, and for that it was brilliant. It's a hard record not to enjoy, and 22 million in sales testifies to that. But, do I love it? No. WTSMG brought a somewhat softer sound with a slicker production, but I did miss the punch of the debut. Along comes their fourth album to fix that.

Let start by saying that I love this album. The brickwalled production is just perfect for these heavier songs, for the crunchier guitars, for the masterful use of NOISE. The opener is a great example of the latter, being an instrumental with the only lyrics consisting of clips of a man referencing kids f-ing in the bushes. Just brilliant. Go Let It Out continues in the same vain. Heavy, crunchy misanthropy, as if to say to their fans, "You love us? Well f*ck you!" This is a band doing what it wants in the face of huge success. Hearing these songs, I imagine members of the Cure and the Church getting together and making a tribute album of the Beatles best psychedelic songs. From Noel Gallagher: I worked harder on that album than anything before and anything since. Yeah, it shows. I can understand why this album wasn't a popular one (it debuted at #24, and quickly dropped to #84), as it doesn't contain the signature Oasis brit-pop hits. Instead, as Noel says, the album contains real pieces of music. Oasis, with Gallagher's songwriting, always had keen craftsmanship, but here there is real artistry as well.

A keeper.

That's the first noteworthy thing I've read about any album they did after BHN, lol. I love Oasis, but my love is only based on those first three albums (and the Familiar To Millions live record, which is too loud to make heads or tails of the songs at times, though it does contain songs from this album). But now you've convinced me. I'll definitely (maybe?) be checking that out to go with my trip to Ireland in a couple weeks (just like DefMay accompanied my trip 3 years ago).

• Like 1

The title track is epic!!!! I love She's Electric.

Not my favorites, and that's all I can really say against them.

And, to finish up Oasis Week, it's Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds. I can't remember who here turned me on to the band a few years back...one of our lady TRFers, I believe. But I really respect Nowl gallagher as a songwriter, and particularly enjoy his post-Oasis stuff.

220px-Noelgallagherhighflyingbirds.jpg

Gallagher's High Flying Birds 2011 debut album sold a respectable 2.2 million albums. What it keeps from Gallagher's Oasis years is the keen sense of melody and the lyrical rhythm. Gone is the underlying anger that Noel's younger brother brought to the table. When I was younger, I'd probably have railed against that, but now, I kind of like the change. The use of backing instruments, orchestral additions, adds a pleasant atmosphere to the whole project, in a TalkTalk kind of way, especially tracks like What A Life.

Wirth checking out, if you haven't.

I have loved Oasis since the 90s. Noel solo albums are great, I think my favorite is 'Who Built the moon' which came out in 2017 and it has a psychedelic sound to it. I like Liam's solo album as well.
  • Like 2

I have loved Oasis since the 90s. Noel solo albums are great, I think my favorite is 'Who Built the moon' which came out in 2017 and it has a psychedelic sound to it. I like Liam's solo album as well.

Listening to that now, and. as you note, it turns the High Flying Birds' debut on it's head with synth-heavy layered psychedelia. Really good stuff, especially for those with proggish leanings. Gone is the familiar acoustic strumming, replaced by layers and layers of keys, synthesized guitars, and marshall drums. Good fun!

220px-NGHFB-whobuiltthemoon.jpg

• Like 1

So, Porcupine Tree it is.

I know a lot of the band from reading it here in TRF, but I really don't know their music. I'm starting off with Voyage 34, and I'm blown away... Fantastic stuff.

• Like 1

I prefer Liam's solo work over all. It has more of the Oasis songwriting approach. Noel's last album was a bit of an experimental dud for me.

• Like 2

Porcupine Tree: Deadwing

220px-Pt_deadwing.jpg

I'm not going in any particular order in listening to these albums, which may or may not be a mistake. Deadwing came up first on the search today, so here we go. Right off the bat I can hear that this album is very different from Voyage34 stuff. As I understand it, V34 was a departure, so Deadwing must be more representative of typical Porcupine Tree, which at its best is in the vein of a less angry Tool. At my age, that's a good thing. :LOL: Being from 2005, I do hear some of the fallout from the loudness war of the period, though not nearly to the degree that Oasis used it (or RUSH on Vapor Trails).

The opening title track isn't really the kind of stuff I enjoy. Overly heavy drumming, whisper/growl vocals, in general, just trying too hard? Cool solo at the 3:30 mark, and at 5:30 the song get very interesting. Very atmospheric...cool tremolo guitar, great sounding bass. A shining moment in an overly long song that I really don't care for at all. Shallow is nice enough during the verses, but the chorus goes back into that heavy thing. With RUSH's Vapor Trails, I can tolerate it because of the lyrical material and context of the songs, but not having any connection to this band...I just find it annoying. Lazarus goes full on the other direction, overly light and syrupy. I'm beginning to think (hope?) that this album was just a bad choice...

It seems with Halo we may have turned a corner. Great grooving bass line, awesome add-signature break, more of those atmospheric guitars. I still find the vocal treatments irritating. Arriving Somewhere But Not Here seems an appropriate title for not only this next track, but for the album as a whole. Apparently much of the album's material was pitched by Steve Wilson as the frame for a film project, but it was never financed. I can see why. A ghost story? Well, so far this listening experience is rather frightening. :P Skipping along through the balance of the album I can tell that this just isn't my kind of thing.

Looking forward to the next album, though, which will be Fear of a Blank Planet. I've heard a lot about it...

• Like 2

Hidden Treasures is worth a listen for Angry Again, Go To Hell and 99 Ways To Die. All three songs were worthy of being on actual albums.

It may be just me but i never seem to like when megadeth does covers. Not sure why

Which of those songs are covers?

99 ways?

I had all of the hidden treasure shit as singles. I think go to hell is for a bill and ted movie? Iirc angry sgain was for a scharzenegger film?