Music Highlights Of 2015

Segue Myles

This is not the same as the AOTY thread.

What musical discoveries, events, gigs, news made your year in 2015?

For me it was these:

Nightwish- both Endless Forms Most Beautiful and the concert at Wembley blew my mind. They have had a phenomenal year, perhaps the most universally accepted year in the history of the fanbase since prior to the exit of Tarja.

Discovering King's X. ReGor was doing another if his marathons, and this band really caught my eye and ear! Thanks ReGor! Because of you I wasted a lot of money on this AMAZING band!

Explored Styx, Strangeways, Trillion and Foreigner, became a massive AOR freak! Mick prodded me towards this style, and I ended up discovering a whole ear of amazing bands! Add also Starcastle, LeRoux, Jethro Tull and King Crimson to this list (of course some of these are not AOR but they belong to that era).

Rediscovered Paradise Lost, Within Temptation and to a large extent early Nightwish, and once again became enamoured with a style of music that had sort of been dead to me for a good ten years.

Toto released a great new album! Completely overshadowed by Nightwish, I still love it!

What highlights did all you guys have? What music made your year this year?

• Like 2

For sure seeing R40. That was a great show and i attended with old friends.

I am discovering alot of stuff i ignored for years. Alot of it is more prog , so im expanding greatly outside my world of metal

• Like 1

Seeing R40 was the pinnacle. One of, if not the best concerts I have ever been to.

The complete out of nowhere surprise when Maiden announced Book of Souls.

Discovering Gary Clark Jr. I had heard of him, and of course, saw him during the Crossroads jam when Rush got inducted into the RRHOF, but hadn't listened to him at that point. I listened to his live album and that was it for me.

Two road trips, Pittsburgh and Buffalo, to see The Stones

Pre-party show with ReGorLaTroy for Rush Newark, NJ then hearing/seeing Rush perform "Losing It"

Rush at MSG NY

Getting Gilmour tickets for 2016

Getting Black Sabbath tickets for 2016

Visiting the site of Woodstock 1969

R40 at Newark & MSG. The trip of a lifetime.

Meliora - the world needs a new BOC, with extra daftness.

The Blues - I've always been a blueshead esp 1930's to 1960's releases, but this year I've learned to truly love the genre. Playing some thrift store vinyl finds has been a real thrill.

Seeing Fleetwood Mac, Al Stewrt & the Alan Parsons Project. Great to see legends deliver great shows.

Queen & Adam Lambert, I went with no expectations, left blown away.

Tim Bowness, Steven Wilson, The Fierce & The Dead, Crippled Black Phoenix, further proof that "modern" prog is in rude health.

Roy Harper being cleared of those loathsome charges.

The Taste reissues.

Peter Guralnick's books.

Miles Davis' autobiography.

King Crimson live. Finally. There were tears.

Big Big Train live. Finally. Yep, more tears.

Anathema in Dublin. Christ almighty, what a night.

Rediscovering my love for The Who.

The endless thrill of finding second hand vinyl, anyway, anyhow, anywhere.

10cc live in my hometown of Cork.

Bloody vintage year.

• Like 1

Did Dave Gregory perform? I love the man's talent. So underrated and underappreciated.

He did. Such a humble man too.

Nice. Being a big fan of his exemplary contributions to XTC it's good to see his creativity has an outlet. Do you know if Tin Spirits tours? I finally got their albums awhile back and they are wonderful.

• Like 1

Did Dave Gregory perform? I love the man's talent. So underrated and underappreciated.

He did. Such a humble man too.

Nice. Being a big fan of his exemplary contributions to XTC it's good to see his creativity has an outlet. Do you know if Tin Spirits tours? I finally got their albums awhile back and they are wonderful.

They do the odd show now and then. Their albums are wonderful! Scorch is something else.

I began listening to / exploring more albums than I had before with the bands:

Alice Cooper, Atoms For Peace, Biosphere, Blue Oyster Cult, Blur, Brian Eno, Camel, Deep Purple, Frank Zappa, Hawkwind, Isis, Kansas, Karnivool, King Crimson, Lunatic Soul, Oingo Boingo, Thom Yorke, Underworld, The Who

(bolded the artists who I hadn't really listened to much before 2015 if at all, and really enjoyed getting into)

• Like 1