Jeddie Lee Admits to almost producing Metallica's Master of Puppets

treeduck

RUSH's GEDDY LEE Says He Almost Produced METALLICA's 'Master Of Puppets' Album

RUSH bassist/vocalist Geddy Lee has confirmed the longstanding rumor that he almost produced METALLICA's classic 1986 album "Master Of Puppets". He told Noisey: "It's sort of true. There was some discussion with [METALLICA drummer Lars Ulrich], back in the day, about working with them. This was before 'Master Of Puppets' came out, I think. There was talk, you know. I was friends with their management, and I met Lars back in England. I remember going to see them here in Toronto when they played at the Masonic Temple. That's when the original bass player [Cliff Burton] was still happening. You know, before that tragedy. And, you know, we talked about it, and I liked their band a lot at that time. But it just never came together."

During the same interview, Lee admitted that he isn't much of a heavy metal fan.

"I don't listen to a lot of metal," he said. "Even though there's an aspect of our sound that can be quite metal, I sort of attribute it more to early metal, in the way that [LED] ZEPPELIN were metal and in the way that BLACK SABBATH were metal, and BLUE CHEER were metal. And that's the sort of tradition of metal that we took on."

He continued: "I like METALLICA. I've got great respect for them. But you won't hear too much speed metal or death metal in my house. Except maybe Overkill, they're great."

• Like 4

He continued: "I like METALLICA. I've got great respect for them. But you won't hear too much speed metal or death metal in my house. Except maybe Overkill, they're great."

treeduck, did you add that bit yourself? I hope not, because that is incredible

anyway, it's good to see they were keeping up with music. it's a shame there's no thrash influence on their 80s work

Tai Shan certainly would have been greatly improved. Or imagine an Anthrax-style version of Marathon. They could have called it Two Minute Mile.

• Like 3

Well I did add the Overkill bit because I have an agenda to bring them to the top of the thrash metal pile, but that's the only bit I added. :AlienSmiley:

• Like 1

That was in the 80s...I would hate to see Geddy suggest to metallica...you know I think it needs more keyboards.

Nowadays they need songs, riffs, guitar solos producing, mixing, revamping through and through, oh and a new drummer and guitarist.

Well I did add the Overkill bit because I have an agenda to bring them to the top of the thrash metal pile, but that's the only bit I added. :AlienSmiley:

Whats a good place to start with Overkill?

I don't think you'd like them mate, they're nothing like Bon Jovi or Brucie Springsteen, though ironically all three are from New Jersey.

• Like 3

I don't think you'd like them mate, they're nothing like Bon Jovi or Brucie Springsteen, though ironically all three are from New Jersey.

Before Springsteen I listened to Exodus, Testament, Slayer, Mastodon, Opeth, Emperor, Satyricon, Flotsam And Jetsam, Sabbat, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Venom, Celtic Frost, Death, Cannibal Corpse, Carcass, At The Gates. And many more and heavier.

Nice try with the pigeonholing!

Before Springsteen I listened to Exodus, Testament, Slayer, Mastodon, Opeth, Emperor, Satyricon, Flotsam And Jetsam, Sabbat, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Venom, Celtic Frost, Death, Cannibal Corpse, Carcass, At The Gates. And many more and heavier.

Don't take it personally, it's all good. :D-13:

• Like 1

Hehehehe

Feel The Fire is my first selection.

Hehehehe

Well that's the beginning.

• Like 1

Hehehehe

Well that's the beginning.

And researching it...it should have been out a year before!

Overkill are mega old school! Not sure why I missed this lot.

That was in the 80s...I would hate to see Geddy suggest to metallica...you know I think it needs more keyboards.

Yeah, I'm having difficulty wrapping my brain around Geddy being consulted on thrash at a time when he was trying to smother his own band in synth pop stylings.

• Like 1

Perhaps Geddy wanted to be involved in the production of an album for experience - looking down the road to producing a Rush album ..

Metallica would be the guinea pig

"Rush" was always listed as a co-producers anyway

Yeah, I'm having difficulty wrapping my brain around Geddy being consulted on thrash at a time when he was trying to smother his own band in synth pop stylings.

And burying his own bass in the mix. . I think Metallica already knew how to do that though!

Way back in the day, I remember Geddy talking about Metallica on an episode of Rockline. In was the in the context of a fan asking what he listened to and he gave the standard answer about a variety of stuff and mentioned Metallica as being part of the newer, heavier stuff he sometimes enjoyed.

There's also the interesting bit about Welcome Home (Sanitarium) borrowing the guitar riff from TS part way through the song and the thank you to Rush in the Master liner notes...