The Official Lacuna Coil Thread

Segue Myles

Fraroc has such a diffwewnt way he listens to music.

i don't care about the celebrity aspect of these bands and which songs connected and which albums didn't.

What's on those records man?

Not getting on him. just interesting what he views in music.

Mick

I know I just find it boring. Especially as I've lived through the bands entire career since before Karmacode was even recorded.

I've been having these discussions with long term fans for nearly twelve years. It would just be nice to talk about the music.

Agreed.

But with Faroc being a new fan, I understand why he's talking about the things he does. I also enjoy pointing out how wrong he is with a lot of the stuff he says, so there's that :LOL:

It's never mattered to me how popular a band is or was. What's important is that I enjoy their music. I don't remember being that hung up on LCs history when I got into them but they're history wasn't as long then as it is now. The main thing I recall is that I was happy that I discovered the band.

• Like 1

Let me see....here's why Delirium in no ways thrills me personally..

1. No warmth. and i think Segue mentioned this. There's some great stuff. here but the Atmosphere is cold and downright exclusive to me. I always felt elier stuff had that nice vibe of join us if you like.....ya know?

2. From A Selfish standpoint. i was upset they didn't go for an electronic based album. Since they are ALWAYS hinting at it, lol. instead 10 seconds in i get.......RHAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! lol. I don't think we're gonna get along album, lol

3. It's badly produced........sorry i feel it is.

i just tried to do this to get back to the music.

hope this is ok, lol

Mick

I agree with all this.

I think the mistake was they self produced this, and it lacks that warmth that made every prior album an inviting listen. Also, this album has serious filler.

Broken Things

You Love Me 'Cause I Hate You

Maybe even Blood Tears Dust (which I love) and Take Me Home (ditto). Claustrophobia and My Demons also do nothing for me. I just feel that the album needed more risks. And yes, the electronic side would have been nice. Ultima Ratio hints at this and that's why it is my favourite song on the album.

Ghost In The Mist and the title track also feel a little worn out.

Delirium is a fine album. But not a masterpiece. My least favourite of their albums for me. Even Shallow Life left a bigger mark (it was extremely different for them).

However, House Of Shame still blows me away. They really drew inspiration from their early demos, and it has the most 90's gothic style they have had since In A Reverie, or even Unleashed Memories.

I think Delirium works extremely well live though. The songs work best on the stage.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Delirium is a very dark album though as it deals with emotions such as sadness, betrayal, and anger. There really aren't any "uplifting" songs on it. Unlike Kill The Light on DA or Nothing Can Stand In Our Way from Broken Crown.

House of Shame is about feeling oppressed.

Delirium is about experience with mental illness.

My Demons is about feeling betrayed by someone you cared about.

Claustrophobia is about feeling hated by someone just for existing.

I could go on about it...the point is, the main theme of the album is very dark and downcast. A lot more than previous LC albums.

will be interesting where they go next.

the other thing that makes be laugh is the Delirium reviews........darkest album ever.

and i'm like......no, lol

Mick

It's not dark. It gets very intense in I think two or three songs. Otherwise I find it a shoutier version of Shallow Life.

House Of Shame, Delirium, Ghost In The Mist...these three recall old school LC in a grand way. HoS actually really hits me hard, it reminds me a lot of when I was nearly incarcerated a fee years ago when I was really ill, and I find it really personal. I see Fraroc really connects to Claustrophobia and My Demons (funny...I dont), and Downfall is a really good ballad. I just feel LC have spoiled me for over a decade with a lot of great ballad type songs, this one doesn't impact on me much. Not like One Cold Day did on Broken Crown Halo.

I don't know...I just find most of this album very shallow. For all the hype, only a couple of songs feel like they hit deep.

• Like 1

Delirium is a very dark album though as it deals with emotions such as sadness, betrayal, and anger. There really aren't any "uplifting" songs on it. Unlike Kill The Light on DA or Nothing Can Stand In Our Way from Broken Crown.

I could go on about it...the point is, the main theme of the album is very dark and downcast. A lot more than previous LC albums.

If you think this is a dark album...then you really don't know Gothic metal at all. This is definitely on the lighter side for the most part.

• Like 1

If you think this is a dark album...then you really don't know Gothic metal at all. This is definitely on the lighter side for the most part.

How the hell is any of it "light"?

Shows how much you know the genre.

It's definitely a very mainstream, commercial album. Once you've been listening to this style of music for fifteen years and gone back to the early nineties origins of this style and worked forwards across around 200 bands of this ilk, you have a right to argue with me lol.

It's definitely a very mainstream, commercial album. Once you've been listening to this style of music for fifteen years and gone back to the early nineties origins of this style and worked forwards across around 200 bands of this ilk, you have a right to argue with me lol.

I can't imagine a song like My Demons to be played on my local rock radio station.

I can't imagine a song like My Demons to be played on my local rock radio station.

There is more to this world than radio play.

And Lacuna Coil are more likely to be found on the radio than the likes of My Dying Bride, To Mera, Dominion or Moonspell.

Lacuna Coil have always been right on the "light" end of the gothic/female fronted metal spectrum. They've never been truly dark.

This new album tackles heavy themes but it has too much bounce, and it's musically very light. It has its heavier moments, and in the context of this band they are "extreme", but in the wider world of this style, it's fairly formulaic and, again, commercial sounding. Whether or not it is trendy, or viable to hit the mainstream, is not what I am talking about. Musically, Delirium is a fantastic pop metal album, but it isn't at all a dark vision fully realised.

But if it helps you dig deeper into new styles, I say keep going! You connected with this album I think albums I really did BCH. I'd like to see where this takes you.

Delirium is dark. But it's dark in the way that most metal music and lyrics are. There is nothing special about the darkness on it. There's nothing wrong with it but it's certainly not the blackest of the black. They've gotten much darker before. I suggest you give their pre Karmacode material some more listens.

Speaking of dark, it's currently evening where I live lol.

• Like 1

Delirium is dark. But it's dark in the way that most metal music and lyrics are. There is nothing special about the darkness on it. There's nothing wrong with it but it's certainly not the blackest of the black. They've gotten much darker before. I suggest you give their pre Karmacode material some more listens.

Exactly.

I think moments like House Of Shame really hit depths they haven't reached in years. But then you get really clichéd songs like Broken Things or You Love Me 'Cause I Hate You and my eyes roll.

And songs like Blood Tears Dust and Take Me Home sound like Meshuggah wrote rnb tunes. Lol.

• Like 1

Damn shorter days......and stupid clock changes. i hate this time of year for that reason. i like my longer days.

Mick

And Lacuna Coil are more likely to be found on the radio than the likes of My Dying Bride, To Mera, Dominion or Moonspell.

Well when you use the word "mainstream", that's what people tend to think of.

Lacuna Coil did start as underground band. They were underrated during a long time, until they got more attention and marketing.

I appreciate them since 2000-2003. Almost no one knew them, except 3.000 people.

Nowadays, they're worldwide.

Lacuna Coil did start as underground band. They were underrated during a long time, until they got more attention and marketing.

I appreciate them since 2000-2003. Almost no one knew them, except 3.000 people.

Exactly. I actually think they are respected a lot nowadays. While they might not be selling out Madison Square Garden, I wouldn't call over a million Facebook likes "obscurity"

• Like 1

Well when you use the word "mainstream", that's what people tend to think of.

Yes but most people would understand the point without having to be so literal.

And it isn't that long ago that an album like Delirium could have made a big splash on the charts, as far as this style is concerned.

Anyway I feel like we've been talking about the same thing for weeks.

I still have no idea what makes this band tick for you other than they aren't very popular.

I want to talk about what you like about them no more about charts or radio play

Anyway I feel like we've been talking about the same thing for weeks.

I still have no idea what makes this band tick for you other than they aren't very popular.

I want to talk about what you like about them no more about charts or radio play

maybe Less popularity and Less radio play are weirdly what attracts him to bands, lol.

i've a feeling he'd be damning LC if they were Massivly popular, lol

Mick

Exactly. I actually think they are respected a lot nowadays. While they might not be selling out Madison Square Garden, I wouldn't call over a million Facebook likes "obscurity"

Facebook likes don't mean a damn thing.

For a band that's been around as long as they have, that many likes isn't that hard to get.

• Like 1

I will come back to this thread when my favourite band gets conversation they deserve
  • Like 1

I will come back to this thread when my favourite band gets conversation they deserve

so when Fraroc is no longer a fan, lol

Mick

It's not that.

It's just the pointlessness of this chat.

It's the same old nonsense we've gone through so many times before, with a different band this time.

• Like 1