The Official Lacuna Coil Thread

Segue Myles

Looks like they went all out for their 20th anniversary show.

http://youtu.be/rwibMSSN7ac

They should totally bring that act on tour, I'd see that in a heartbeat.

They have been very theatrical this while tour. They really went all out for this event! Sadly missed it but I can't wait for the live release!

Cristina has never sounded this good before. Even in general live videos taken on phones and festival appearances, her vocals have been terrific.

As for Andrea, the level of pride I have for him is stratospheric. One of the most ridiculed vocalists in metal, he is doing wonders live. Songs like this are why Lacuna Coil are so mesmerising.

They might be able do that in Europe. But not here in North America. They don't draw big enough crowds to cover the costs of such a big production. This show seems better being a special one-off anyways.

They might be able do that in Europe. But not here in North America. They don't draw big enough crowds to cover the costs of such a big production. This show seems better being a special one-off anyways.

My friends who went said it was a great performance with a dead crowd. But fans of Lacuna Coil from my experience love to WATCH the band. It's quite unique. And with this show, can you blame them?

My friends who went said it was a great performance with a dead crowd. But fans of Lacuna Coil from my experience love to WATCH the band. It's quite unique. And with this show, can you blame them?

Yeah, having someone like Cristina might make the watching experience more enjoyable live lol.

When my friend and I last saw them on the BCH tour, my brother who isn't even a fan almost went just to see Cristina.

She does sound better live now. I've noticed that with other metal singers like Halford and Dickinson as they get older. They're better all around singers since they're mature enough to know what works for them and what doesn't. I think Cristina has gotten to that point now.

• Like 1

Yeah, having someone like Cristina might make the watching experience more enjoyable live lol.

When my friend and I last saw them on the BCH tour, my brother who isn't even a fan almost went just to see Cristina.

She does sound better live now. I've noticed that with other metal singers like Halford and Dickinson as they get older. They're better all around singers since they're mature enough to know what works for them and what doesn't. I think Cristina has gotten to that point now.

She used to say that her vocals came second to performing. She loves to move and live in the moment. The last two album cycles she has really mastered the balance of performing and singing and it's amazing...she may never be as good as Sharon but she is outstanding. She is also very aware of aging now so I get the impression she's really looking after herself. Andrea has come a long way too. I actually think his live screams are fantastic! Also Cristina says when they record albums now they try to ensure the songs are better suited to the live experience. What she has done all through the bands career in the studio is often very much a challenge to perform live.

I just love her. I know she isn't the greatest singer of all time but she is my all time favourite singer. Her voice gives me so much emotion. Any era...yes Karmacode is my favourite album but I think her voice really came into its own on Comalies and she hasn't looked back since.

I hope to see them live next tour.

Have you heard the new Within Temptation single? I like it. Took a few listens...I am not excited about more collaborations but at the same time it works really nicely.

She used to say that her vocals came second to performing. She loves to move and live in the moment. The last two album cycles she has really mastered the balance of performing and singing and it's amazing...she may never be as good as Sharon but she is outstanding. She is also very aware of aging now so I get the impression she's really looking after herself. Andrea has come a long way too. I actually think his live screams are fantastic! Also Cristina says when they record albums now they try to ensure the songs are better suited to the live experience. What she has done all through the bands career in the studio is often very much a challenge to perform live.

I just love her. I know she isn't the greatest singer of all time but she is my all time favourite singer. Her voice gives me so much emotion. Any era...yes Karmacode is my favourite album but I think her voice really came into its own on Comalies and she hasn't looked back since.

Have you heard the new Within Temptation single? I like it. Took a few listens...I am not excited about more collaborations but at the same time it works really nicely.

I like the new Within Temptation song but don't understand the collaboration here. I think on the last album they were fine because the guest vocals brought something different that Sharon couldn't. This time I don't see that. What's this guy bringing to the song vocally that Sharon or one of the other guys in the band couldn't? Why not just get Robert to do the vocals if they wanted a male to sing on it? At least he's part of the band. Then I find out this guest is the vocalist for Papa Roach. Talk about scrapping the bottom of the barrel for a guest spot. Still love Sharon. I can listen to her sing anything.

I like the new Within Temptation song but don't understand the collaboration here. I think on the last album they were fine because the guest vocals brought something different that Sharon couldn't. This time I don't see that. What's this guy bringing to the song vocally that Sharon or one of the other guys in the band couldn't? Why not just get Robert to do the vocals if they wanted a male to sing on it? At least he's part of the band. Then I find out this guest is the vocalist for Papa Roach. Talk about scrapping the bottom of the barrel for a guest spot. Still love Sharon. I can listen to her sing anything.

Agreed...I kind of retched the second I saw his name. To be fair it's the best he has ever sounded and I think this song works really well with both of them. I'm just hoping the album is a little less collaboration heavy. I love Hydra but I don't want it to be a thing they rely on...she is PHENONENAL

I'm so glad I've lived with Black Anima comfortably for a couple of days now. Like all LC albums, it takes a little time for it to all sink in. First few listens were jarring, as prereleased singles Reckless and Layers Of Time are so familiar now, the album sounded really strange with that mix of unfamiliar and then these two massive singles. First listen, two days ago, I was very happy with it. In fact, I was blown away by it in a way I wasn't initially by Delirium.

And now, over a dozen full spins later, I can declare this is my favourite Lacuna Coil album since Karmacode, and it may be their best complete work to date.

Some things really stand out on Black Anima. First of all, there are no commercial sounding singles here. Not a single Closer, End Of Time, I Like It...there are no filler tracks. At eleven songs, with a proper intro and outro, this is a lean, and fast paced listen. The vocals are perfectly balanced. At first I was a bit taken aback by the force and power, not in Andi (who is sensational), but in Cri. She actually offers some of the most sincerely sorrowful and depressed moments. Often, Cristina in the past has been a source of light. But knowing she has really battled with negative emotions in recent years, Cristina really puts her all into her vocals here. Their is a darkness, a bitterness to her voice I've never heard before. In the past, she handled the aggressive moments with what sounded like glee, here she sounds like she's having a genuine meltdown at several points. Then Andi, oh my god. He is for me the equal highlight of this album. Wow. Just wow. And other aspects of the bands sound are superior to Delirium: the band now have an official guitarist again. On Delirium, all guitars were played by bassist and principal songwriter Marco Citi Zelati, with solo contributions by guest musicians. In Diego Cavallotti, they now have a guitarist as talented as their vocalists, and he is on fire throughout the album. The solos on Black Anima are frequent and Dall are sublime, and that's a surprising element that LC haven't really utilised before. New drummer Richard Meiz is fantastic as well, and I'd put him above the last one, Ryan Holden, as well. What we have now is a revitalised and reinvigorated Lacuna Coil, one that sounds much tighter and more in chemistry with each other than ever before. I will say it now, this is the best studio work Lacuna Coil has ever done. There are no weak elements, predictable moments. This album is recorded by a band of five musicians all on the same level.

But all this would be useless if the songs themselves weren't great. Fortunately, they are. This album is their best and most uniform set of songs since, possibly, ever. At eleven songs, there is an amazing variety on display, and not a single weak moment. There are callback moments to older songs, but nothing here sounds like a repeat of the past. Not truly. It sounds instead like the next stage of Lacuna Coil, one who took everything that worked on Delirium (itself a major departure from their older work, and an unexpected near-reinvention), and progressed further, with the confidence of a band who have been in the game for over twenty years (as it should be). Also, this is the second time Lacuna Coil have self-produced their album, and all I can say is, after years of outside guidance, it is clear Lacuna Coil now know exactly who and what they should sound like.

It's now time to review the songs:

1. Anima Nera

This is the first time Lacuna Coil have opened their album with a proper intro. Originally intended as a short instrumental,d they later added an ethereal, almost child like vocal from Cristina. It's ghostly, and it sounds almost like a warning to back away. I really love this track, but it did sound strange the first time I heard it. A fantastic opener, one that reminds me of a former failed attempt: the title track to 2012's Dark Adrenaline, which had an intro number scrapped and relagated to Japanese bonus track status. This is clearly superior to that.

2. Sword Of Anger

An exceptional song, this has a terrific introduction, the melodic guitars standing out straight away. The drumming is phenomenal here, it really does have to be said, that's going to be a frequent praise here. The chorus is great, it reminds me of the Comalies era. The song itself is a driving, powerful song, the sort of empowering anthem Lacuna Coil have become known for (think Our Truth, The Army Inside, Trip The Darkness, Nothing Stands In Our Way). Exceptional, this song will appeal to fans of Broken Crown Halo. Would have made for a perfect first single.

3. Reckless

When this came out as the albums second single, I was blown away. It has a rebellious, aggressive edge to it that feels quite unique for Lacuna Coil. Where much of Delirium sounded pained and introverted lyrically, Reckless feels in your face and direct. Terrific vocal interplay, Cristina Scabbia sounds gritty and aggressive throughout. This is no damsel in distress. This sounds more like that damsels captor. Stunning solo. Stunning. I love this song.

4. Layers Of Time

A song as layered as the title suggests, this is the only song on the album that calls to mind Delirium. It's better written than any song on that album (and that says a lot), and the brittle, gentle bridge Cristina sings towards the end evokes the ethereal and ghostly elements of 2001's Unleashed Memories. A powerful, startling and beautiful song. Whilst on the surface this sounds like a continuation of House Of Shame, this is truly closer in spirit to the likes of Within Me or Hostage To The Light, with an in your face, though very sombre, performance from Andrea Ferro. A terrific lead single, but it also isn't the best representation of Black Anima. Yet it makes sense as an era opener, as Delirium was hailed as a classic a saw a major career resurgence for Lacuna Coil. This is the song that bridges the two eras. And for that, its marvellous. Possibly my favourite song on the album.

5. Apocalypse

When I first listened to Black Anima, this sounded a little like a leftover from any of the past three albums. It reminded me a little of the likes of Against You, I Burn In You or My Demons. But I really love it, and it now sounds like it's own being. Elements of the horror movie inspirations that dominated Broken Crown Halo are present throughout, and Cristina Scabbia sings with the assuredness of a great actress, but the words hit deeper knowing that they are her own. Fantastic song. It's a testament to the quality of Black Anima that this isn't a standout, as it would have been a major highlight on any of the previous three albums. Again, fantastic solo. I can't stress how great this song is, and it's not close to my favourite on the album.

6. Now Or Never

I can see this being many fans favourite on the album. As for me, it is close. What starts out as another aggressive, forceful metal number, evolves into a melancholic and mournful chorus. It's almost as if Lacuna Coil tried to write Humane again with the idea of merging it with Ultima Ratio off of Delirium. An amazing blend of Lacuna Coil's heaviest elements, Now Or Never throws an almost rap like verse fr Andrea and a yelled, near spoken word rap like moment from Cristina Scabbia. This is a raging, fiery anthem that recalls to mind very strongly the creativity and power of Comalies. One of Lacuna Coil's most powerful songs. Oh and they throw another solo into the mix. Now Or Never is one of the best songs Lacuna Coil have ever written. There. I said it.

7. Under The Surface

There is something that ever so slightly irks me about this song, once rumoured to be the albums third single: Andrea's verse sounds like the same melody as his verses on 2012's Give Me Something More. But never mind. A little self plagiarism is forgivable when the song in question is, I kid you not, a mad combination of Lacuna Coil's heaviest metal influence and what sounds like disco in the chorus. This is one of the catchiest and most radio friendly choruses Lacuna Coil has ever written. If Lacuna Coil wrote Shallow Life as a full blown heavy metal album, you'd have had this. I can't see this song being a hit, as catchy as it is its also surprisingly aggressive and Andrea's screams throughout are hardly Top 40 friendly. And the song is all the better for it! Lacuna Coil's pop heart merges with their heaviest elements, and it's absolutely mental to listen too. I will say it again: this is one of the best written Lacuna Coil songs ever. This should become a live staple. Oh, and another fantastic solo. Death metal disco.

8. Veneficium

The song opens with an operatic chant in Latin. This is Cristina Scabbia once again evolving her style and technique. This is also the bands best song this album cycle. Lacuna Coil return to their once trademark gothic metal roots, and combine the dark beauty of Paradise Lost that initially inspired their sound with the confidence of their last few albums. It also sounds surprisingly similar to a Karmacode B-side, Virtual Environment. This is a vastly superior song though. The Paradise Lost influence is heavy here, but so is another influence: Epica. This is a near fully symphonic metal song, one that truly excited me from the moment it was announced. Veneficium is the song I was looking forward the most, and it lived up to my expectations and surpassed them. This is easily in the running for my all time favourite Lacuna Coil song, and it is the sound I was really hoping they would go for after Broken Crown Halo came out. This song...its absolutely amazing, and it's just blowing my mind that in 2019 Lacuna Coil would remind us of their original direction, and still find a way to not only update it, but almost totally reinvent themselves in the process. Their best song ever written? Maybe. It's so close to a definite yes. Fans of Broken Crown Halo, who hoped for more in that style, you have it here and you have it taken to the next level. Because it also sounds like something Lacuna Coil could have tried to write for Unleashed Memories (think Distant Sun or A Current Obsession).

9. The End Is All I Can See

Lacuna Coil have always toyed with electronic music. It's always been a key element of their sound, but this song is the first time they immerse themselves absolutely in that style, and it's absolutely breathtaking. And you want to know something else? Andrea Ferro songs the chorus. It's a sublime song that sounds like nothing they have done before, at least not in full. Another exceptional songwriting moment, and another example of Lacuna Coil writing to the best of their potential. Once again, I feel I should say this may be their best album in many,any years. Best album this decade, but also possibly their best ever? Yes to both. I am really floored by this song, and several listens later it still stuns me. Instrumentally one of Lacuna Coil's most interesting moments. As a massive fan of Delirium, by this point Lacuna Coil are wiping the floor with it. Remind yourself that ten years ago, Lacuna Coil had just released Shallow Life. Well thank god they recovered in the decade since.

10. Save Me

The mixing on this song is beautiful. This is a driving rock number, with lyrics that appear to be calling for help, and a cathartic and powerful chorus ("save me from myself"). Cristina Scabbia is as emotional and powerful here as she is on her best ballads. But this is a storming rock number, with beautiful vocals and a heartrending spoken word segments where she shows her true vulnerability ("I look in the mirror and hate what I see, I don't recognize my face anymore...I feel lost and empty, but I know that I can't turn back time"). A phenomenal song. Yes, again it's one of their best. My favourite song on the album? For a third time, yes.

11. Black Anima

The album began with an intro, Anima Mera. This is the outro. Powerful, chaotic and ridiculously heavy, it took me a while to get my head around it. Is it the bands best closer? No. Save Me would have arguably been that. But this song closes Black Anima perfectly, absolutely. It provides closure, an ending to what has been a powerful and cathartic listen.

Black Anima has made me pause and question the quality of their recent releases. Whilst I loved Dark Adrenaline, Broken Crown Halo and Delirium, all three albums left me wanting a little more. All three have moments where I wish the writing was a little better, or they pushed the sound or style just that much further. The Lacuna Coil that was DESPERATE to have hit singles ten years ago when Shallow Life came out and disappointed many, took three albums to get that commercial ambition out of their system.

Black Anima is a return to Lacuna Coil sounding relentlessly and mercilessly keen on writing music that is 100% authentic to their true selves. Whilst I always say Karmacode is my all time favourite album, I have truly believed that Lacuna Coil were at their best on their early albums, when the music sounded purer. During a time when Lacuna Coil had no idea they'd ever have a hit single, Lacuna Coil instead wrote music with heart, soul, depth and an ambience and emotional undercurrent that connected to many music fans of that era. They offered something unique and different to even their own peers within the gothic metal movement, and their can be no denying that somewhere along the way, Lacuna Coil started to chase the mainstream a little, and the ambition to stand alongside, not only Type O Negative or Paradise Lost, but also Korn and Disturbed also became obvious. And I've never held that against them, as the music has almost always hit the spot for me.

And yes, I loved Broken Crown Halo and thought that was the bands real return to their roots, as far as I could ever imagine them doing so anyway. I thought Delirium was a brave and bold reinvention. But both those albums, coming after Shallow Life and the superior, if still chart-friendly Dark Adrenaline, had elements that left me a little hesitant to call a complete return to their former glory.

But Black Anima, from start to finish, is 100% authentically Lacuna Coil writing to their FULLEST potential with EVERYTHING in their arsenal. Everything they have ever done is touched upon on this album. Aspects that didn't fully work before (the disco diva moments on Shallow Life, for example, works sublimely on Under The Surface) work wonderfully. Their are moments here when a song feels like it's going into a predictable moment, only for them to twist things up and startle you (the rap elements of Now Or Never, the shouted mantra like moment in the same song, the spoken word section of Save Me, the near operatic vocals of Veneficium). This album is the first in many years that I have loved without any hesitation. I always thought Lacuna Coil would never top the likes of Karmacode, Unleashed Memories, Comalies, I thought it was a given that could never happen. I thought Lacuna Coil in their modern, more commercial era, would peak with Broken Crown Halo, and never again suprise us the way they did with the direction of Delirium. But they did.

Black Anima needs several listens, and time and patience. What at first feels vaguely like more the same emerges instead as their boldest, most experimental, and tightest collection of songs ever.

Is Black Anima a masterpiece? In short, yes. Yes it is. Lacuna Coil have never truly disappointed me. But they haven't blown me away like this since 2006, and they haven't released an album as intoxicating and wildly ambitious from start to finish since 2002 (yes, I'd put Comalies above Delirium in terms of ambition).

I think fans are going to love this album, both old and new.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

My current Lacuna Coil album rankings:

1. Karmacode

2. Unleashed Memories

3. Comalies

4. Black Anima

5. Broken Crown Halo

6. In A Reverie

7. Delirium

8. Dark Adrenaline

9. Shallow Life

I've Played the album twice. but not listening now till release.

i'm not risking burn out BEFORE release, lol.

but the 2 times i've played it. it's floored me.

Mick

They delivered what the past three albums only hinted at. As a long term fan, I got more than I asked for. That's really nice to say.

And you know after the weeks I've had, this feels like such a nice gift.
  • Like 1

Make sure to get the deluxe edition as their bonus tracks are normally killer.

But considering this album feels complete, I'd imagine in this instance they were left off for good reason (unlike Shallow Life).

• Like 1

Whoops! Missed this thread.

I am here to worship and affirm that Ms. Cristina is a goddess.

Well duh, tell me something I haven't known for the last 16 years lol.

Honestly, the last three albums are the best the band has ever been. The songwriting is more complete than ever and Cristina and Andrea have never sung better. I'm not a fan of Shallow Life but I am grateful that the band did the album because it was such a massive flop that it woke them up to getting back to what they do best. They know exactly who they are now.

Whoops! Missed this thread.

I am here to worship and affirm that Ms. Cristina is a goddess.

Well duh, tell me something I haven't known for the last 16 years lol.

Honestly, the last three albums are the best the band has ever been. The songwriting is more complete than ever and Cristina and Andrea have never sung better. I'm not a fan of Shallow Life but I am grateful that the band did the album because it was such a massive flop that it woke them up to getting back to what they do best. They know exactly who they are now.

I think a lot of good happened with Shallow Life but it didn't become evident straight away.

Honestly I love Lacuna Coil to the death and I truly do think the last three albums could be the best they have ever done.

But my ears still gravitate to the early stuff. Just love them to death!

The concert was free. Also, it appears the strike is a big deal in Italy, but not the rest of the world. I'm not sure the band realises how not aware of it the outside world was.

I respect the idea, not the execution.

But not a penny was spent logging on to watch it.

The concert was free. Also, it appears the strike is a big deal in Italy, but not the rest of the world. I'm not sure the band realises how not aware of it the outside world was.

I respect the idea, not the execution.

But not a penny was spent logging on to watch it.

I know it was free. As you said the intentions were good but the execution was bad. It sure would have been nice to play something for the fans watching who were looking for an escape from the state of the world. Instead they gave them a reminder of something going on that nobody needed a reminder of.

https://www.blabberm...and-in-silence/

If I was a fan hoping to see a live show, I would have been really pissed at this.

just reading that article pissed me off.

intentions or not......that was a middle finger.

bad look LC......bad look.

Mick

Shallow Life was the last time I questioned this much what the hell they were thinking? That's how bad of a move this was. I know other bands did the same as them but how could any of them not have the foresight to see how bad this would come off for them?

• Like 1

The ONLY way I can defend this is...the strike is a big deal in Italy.

But then I take into consideration that they hardly made that obvious...also bearing in mind the concert was free, they still wasted people's time, and emotions.

I love LC, I don't think they meant harm, but this was foolish, absolutely. However a lot of fans are supporting them, I personally skipped it as I needed sleep ������

I guess the issue I have is that it's still not clear what they were making a stand against. It's been a year since Italy went into lockdown and all live entertainment venues had to close. So, they were taking a stand for all the venues that are still closed even though they can't do anything about it because of a global pandemic? A pandemic that has shutdown live entertainment worldwide. I just don't get the point. It didn't prove anything and it didn't change anything.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

But then I take into consideration that they hardly made that obvious...also bearing in mind the concert was free, they still wasted people's time, and emotions.

I love LC, I don't think they meant harm, but this was foolish, absolutely. However a lot of fans are supporting them, I personally skipped it as I needed sleep ������

I guess the issue I have is that it's still not clear what they were making a stand against. It's been a year since Italy went into lockdown and all live entertainment venues had to close. So, they were taking a stand for all the venues that are still closed even though they can't do anything about it because of a global pandemic? A pandemic that has shutdown live entertainment worldwide. I just don't get the point. It didn't prove anything and it didn't change anything.

it comes across as artists being tone deaf again honestly, lol

Mick

• Like 1

it comes across as artists being tone deaf again honestly, lol

Mick

This isn't the first time the band has been tone deaf. When they became popular with Comalies they didn't get why and completely changed their sound on the next two albums and ran off a lot of fans.

I think they were just bored and this was a way to get out of the house for a night lol.

• Like 1