Amy Lee Going to California

HemiBeers

Singers grossly overrated?!? What the heck does that mean?!?

But yeah, her voice is wonderful!

They command too much attention. Either you're lucky enough have a great voice or you don't...unlike developing a skill with an instrument. And don't tell me a voice is an instrument.

They command too much attention. Either you're lucky enough have a great voice or you don't...unlike developing a skill with an instrument. And don't tell me a voice is an instrument.

It is. And I can't be bothered to argue why.

• Like 2

:facepalm:

• Like 6

Oh fer fucksake.

• Like 5

:facepalm:

Don't hide!

• Like 1

Okay, I won't. But it is.

What you're saying is that a singer can either sing, or she/he can't.

Some singers were born with that talent, innately, but some were not.

It is exactly like developing skill with an instrument.

• Like 2

Okay, I won't. But it is.

What you're saying is that a singer can either sing, or she/he can't.

Some singers were born with that talent, innately, but some were not.

It is exactly like developing skill with an instrument.

Cristina Scabbia, Sharon Den Adel, Myles Kennedy, the ABBA girls, and PLENTY OTHERS have great voices.

But they were self taught.

If you listen to their earliest recordings and then compare them to their best work (some of it being their most recent), they have come on leaps and bounds, sometimes unrecognisably so.

Is it mere nature at play? No. Hard work, consistent practice, experimentation and road experience has a big part in their vocal evolution.

For example: Cristina Scabbia discovered she had a much higher vocal range, something she only found out when she took vocal lessons a few years back to enhance her enunciation. Her voice was used on Karmacode as as instrument, her voice every bit as important to the music as the guitar or keyboards.

Myles Kennedy started singing in The Mayfield Four because no one else wanted too. He had no idea what he had, and as great as his early work is, it only improved with a lot of practice and YEARS of experience!

Sharon Den Adel used to sing solely in a higher register, very much like Kate Bush. But she challenged herself, and started taking risks, experimenting with her voice and singing with a deeper range.

Anneke van Giersbergen, Lisa Gerrard, Jeff Buckley...did they just randomly accomplish all their great achievements purely because it is in the genes? No! HARD WORK AND PRACTICE!

Only a banana would think great singing is purely a result of chance. Even some weak vocalists, with a limited range, push other aspects of their voice to achieve something noteworthy, and often this results in a focus on emotional connection over vocal theatrics. Bruce Springsteen comes to mind (and even then, he has achieved some wonderful things with his voice, such as a fragile falsetto in Lift Me Up, or an almost Bob Dylan twang on Greetings, to a more Roy Orbison vibe on Someday We'll Be Together).

Vocalists often have it harder because the focus is often solely on them, and if they fail the whole album can crumble.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 3

Who do you always see on shows like American Idol? Limited talent singers. Who usually gets the big head and breaks up a band? The singer. Notice I used the word 'usually'. There are singers that I consider quite talented...Amy Lee for example. But to me, they're the most overrated and disposable person in a rock band (well maybe next to the keyboardist). Edited by 2112FirstStreet

Let me make an analogy. A gifted runner is born being a good runner and with some training, can become a great runner. A good singer can similarly become a great singer with some training. You can't make a poor runner into a great runner and you can't make a poor singer with a poor voice into a great singer. The ability for either is already 80% inborn. Learning an instrument, guitar, keyboards, drums, whatever, is not as innately born into someone...it takes much more training to become great. Similar analogy is you take the fastest football player and put him on the hockey rink...he's probably not very competent or fast without training. History is littered with singers that could carry a tune and looked 'pretty'. You don't get far just being a pretty instrumentalist. Edited by 2112FirstStreet

But many of my favourite singers are hated by others.

So personal taste will dispute whether one really does have a good voice or not.

I think you try too hard to justify a weak point. Great singers need more than mere "gifts" or range.

So personal taste will dispute whether one really does have a good voice or not.

Erm...not quite. You're confusing taste with talent. Taste is much more subjective. There's many musicians, singers and otherwise, that I admit are talented but not to my taste. My point, which is simple IMO, is that it takes far more training and work to become an elite instrumentalist. Your elite instrumentalists may practice 8-10 hours a day...a singer would be shredded trying to practice that much. Eddie Van Halen didn't drop out of the womb being an elite player...he lived with a guitar constantly in his hands since he was a kid. Singers, in general, get far too much adulation and credit for what they contribute musically. All these 'talent' shows like American Idol focus on singers because the dopey general public only loves the melody, the 'stage presence' and 'personality'.

Edited by 2112FirstStreet

But you still overlook the fact that great talent comes with the need of skill, knowledge and practice. No way are vocalists overrated.

And the voice is an instrument.

But you still overlook the fact that great talent comes with the need of skill, knowledge and practice. No way are vocalists overrated.

As I mentioned, you can give someone all the skill knowledge and practice and they still can't sing worth crap if they don't have the innate ability. <----insert Taylor Swift here. But oh yeah she's a hottie!

As I mentioned, you can give someone all the skill knowledge and practice and they still can't sing worth crap if they don't have the innate ability. <----insert Taylor Swift here. But oh yeah she's a hottie!

Big Taylor Swift fan so that fell flat haha

Big Taylor Swift fan so that fell flat haha

You should listen to her when she's not lip synching. My stepdaughter saw her live a few years ago with unaltered vocal tracks...she's nearly tone deaf. There's other reports that her vocals are highly, highly altered. She's the poster child for no talent pretty singers that I referred to.

She always sings live, unless the power to do so is out of her control.

She has good days, and bad days. She has learned to do the best with what she has got. Her faults are hers and I love them.

oh yea.......ask Ged how he's holding up for abusing his.

lol

Mick

• Like 1

She has good days, and bad days. She has learned to do the best with what she has got. Her faults are hers and I love them.

If Taylor Swift was 300lbs and ugly, her career would be limited to karaoke night at her local bowling alley.

And in the field of female fronted rock and metal, Amy Lee is often criticised as being the worst of the bunch in a live setting, so SCREW THE TAYLOR SWIFT DISSING! lol

oh yea.......ask Ged how he's holding up for abusing his.

lol

Mick

you're the 'geddy yodeler' so what do you care?

And in the field of female fronted rock and metal, Amy Lee is often criticised as being the worst of the bunch in a live setting, so SCREW THE TAYLOR SWIFT DISSING! lol

Funny...you said you liked Amy Lee. So which personality is talking now?

If Taylor Swift was 300lbs and ugly, her career would be limited to karaoke night at her local bowling alley.

Nope. She would likely be a top notch songwriter. She writes fantastic pop songs with some of the wittiest barbs I have ever heard.

I am not a massive fan of her because she is pretty (she doesn't come close to the likes of Cristina Scabbia or Kate Beckinsale in the looks department). I am a massive fan because I think she is the best commercially successful pop songwriter of the millennium to date. I rank her alongside Springsteen and Stevie Nicks as my third favourite American solo artist ever.

Funny...you said you liked Amy Lee. So which personality is talking now?

I love Amy Lee, her voice is perfect in the studio, but she really is inconsistent live, one of the worst live vocalists in the genre. Compare her to Sharon Den Adel or Tarja Turunen (although in recent years she has not been consistent either, so I refer to her Nightwish years) she stinks.

Gwen Stefani is another limited vocalist. She has learned to inject her vocals with bundles of her own charm and personality, and that makes her unique and wonderful. She has done so by honing her craft as a singer. Like an instrument, they all learn to hone their craft, whether they have strong natural ability or not.

Edited by Segue Myles