Amy Lee Going to California

HemiBeers

She always sings live, unless the power to do so is out of her control.

She has good days, and bad days. She has learned to do the best with what she has got. Her faults are hers and I love them.

If Taylor Swift was 300lbs and ugly, her career would be limited to karaoke night at her local bowling alley.

Nope. She would likely be a top notch songwriter. She writes fantastic pop songs with some of the wittiest barbs I have ever heard.

I am not a massive fan of her because she is pretty (she doesn't come close to the likes of Cristina Scabbia or Kate Beckinsale in the looks department). I am a massive fan because I think she is the best commercially successful pop songwriter of the millennium to date. I rank her alongside Springsteen and Stevie Nicks as my third favourite American solo artist ever.

"best commercially successful pop"....sort of like McDonald's right? Sorry I prefer more substance than McSwift.

yea some singers do not translate live. Amy is one of those.

Mick

Also, many singers get it perfect in the studio, because they have the time and ability to record on top form.

Live, it is more spontaneous and often, the level of perfection achieved in the studio is impossible to render live.

Again, Cristina Scabbia admitted her vocals in Dark Adrenaline were very hard to replicate live, so for Broken Crown Halo, both she and And I decided to focus on writing songs more suited for live performances.

I am glad artists really push themselves in the studio, but I rarely expect them to be note perfect on stage. Especially with bombastic metal/rock. But flaws are overcome with passion.

yea some singers do not translate live. Amy is one of those.

Mick

Also, many singers get it perfect in the studio, because they have the time and ability to record on top form.

Live, it is more spontaneous and often, the level of perfection achieved in the studio is impossible to render live.

Again, Cristina Scabbia admitted her vocals in Dark Adrenaline were very hard to replicate live, so for Broken Crown Halo, both she and And I decided to focus on writing songs more suited for live performances.

I am glad artists really push themselves in the studio, but I rarely expect them to be note perfect on stage. Especially with bombastic metal/rock. But flaws are overcome with passion.

much as i defend him.......labrie is a grab bag. he can brilliant live. but WAY off a lot. i mean a lot, lol

Mick

• Like 1

She always sings live, unless the power to do so is out of her control.

She has good days, and bad days. She has learned to do the best with what she has got. Her faults are hers and I love them.

If Taylor Swift was 300lbs and ugly, her career would be limited to karaoke night at her local bowling alley.

Nope. She would likely be a top notch songwriter. She writes fantastic pop songs with some of the wittiest barbs I have ever heard.

I am not a massive fan of her because she is pretty (she doesn't come close to the likes of Cristina Scabbia or Kate Beckinsale in the looks department). I am a massive fan because I think she is the best commercially successful pop songwriter of the millennium to date. I rank her alongside Springsteen and Stevie Nicks as my third favourite American solo artist ever.

"best commercially successful pop"....sort of like McDonald's right? Sorry I prefer more substance than McSwift.

Just because you don't like something does not mean your opinion is the correct, or only one to hold.

She has a lot of depth, she wrote a beautiful song in collaboration with a mother who lost her son to cancer.

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvN7BOAQn9

"She has no soul", "she does it all for the money", "she never sings live".

Eugh. She is great, and she even admits to not being the best singer. BUT SHE WRITES ALL HER OWN SONGS, PLAYS HER OWN INSTRUMENTS, AND PERFORMS LIVE.

• Like 1

Eugh. She is great, and she even admits to not being the best singer. BUT SHE WRITES ALL HER OWN SONGS, PLAYS HER OWN INSTRUMENTS, AND PERFORMS LIVE.

May not be the biggest fan....but she is the real deal.......compared to most pop stars.

Mick

• Like 1

May not be the biggest fan....but she is the real deal.......compared to most pop stars.

Mick

Exactly.

People hate on her like she is some fake symbol of all that is wrong with modern music, like, say, Miley Cyrus or Katy Perry (whose work I also enjoy tee hee).

But she is the real deal, the full package whether you like her or not. And everyone I know who likes Taylor Swift ADORES her songs, whether it be just a few singles or whole albums. She really is on point with her career, and she is a lovely person as well, the way she really includes her fans in her everyday life, to inviting other singers to join her onstage, and the way she just makes sure her personality, not looks, shines through all she does.

And you know what? Like Gwen Stefani or Stevie Nicks, I hear the weakness in her voice, but its how she uses her strengths, both as a singer and a songwriter, that reels me in.

Funny, but most of my favourite singers are not "natural born non-instruments".

• Like 1

I'm sorry Segue......i know you love her......but Gwen Stefani sang on the voice the other night. i wanted to throat punch her.

lol

Mick

You were watching The Voice? :LOL:

I'm sorry Segue......i know you love her......but Gwen Stefani sang on the voice the other night. i wanted to throat punch her.

lol

Mick

Hahaha she also looked...interesting!

No I love her, especially in No Doubt. Live, her voice grates but as a fan I really admire her. And she knows she hasn't the strongest voice. At least she still sang live!

Gwen just is something awesome to me (not so much her first two solo albums). And her voice has plenty for me to love!

Then again, Mick, when my favourite artist is Springsteen, and yours is Waits, I think it fair to say we probably have the worst ear for great vocals haha!

• Like 1

lol

Mick

I love Gwen, but even I turned it off after two minutes!

• Like 2

lol

Mick

Hahaha she also looked...interesting!

No I love her, especially in No Doubt. Live, her voice grates but as a fan I really admire her. And she knows she hasn't the strongest voice. At least she still sang live!

Gwen just is something awesome to me (not so much her first two solo albums). And her voice has plenty for me to love!

Then again, Mick, when my favourite artist is Springsteen, and yours is Waits, I think it fair to say we probably have the worst ear for great vocals haha!

true. i LOVE certain horrible voices.

Waits

Dylan

Cohen

Donald Fagen (Steely Dan)

Mick

lol

Mick

Channal Surfing.

i gave gwen a chance......she frightened me.

lol

Mick

• Like 1

Waits (Rain Dogs mainly...for now)

Stevie Nicks

Andrea Ferro (a dude if anyone wonders)

Gwen Stefani

Bruce Springsteen (although personally I think he has a great voice)

Taylor Swift

Christopher Simpson (little known nineties emo/indie vocalist).

Talented singers I just do not like:

Freddy Mercury

Ella Fitzgerald

Tom Jones

Shirley Basset

Adele (great voice...but makes me want to smash something)

lol

Mick

Channal Surfing.

lol

Mick

Her whole look was...wow...I kept wondering where the old lady was: "HELP! SOMEONE GET MY WIG BACK!"

• Like 2

lol

Mick

Channal Surfing.

lol

Mick

That show creeps me out.

• Like 2

lol

Mick

Channal Surfing.

lol

Mick

Her whole look was...wow...I kept wondering where the old lady was: "HELP! SOMEONE GET MY WIG BACK!"

my dad goes.........is she gonna be um.........ok? :laughing guy:

Mick

• Like 1

lol

Mick

Channal Surfing.

lol

Mick

my dad goes.........is she gonna be um.........ok? :laughing guy:

Mick

I do love that song though, and it is painful subject matter, and her hair was slowly taking over her soul.

Face it, you can hate on Gwen, I can agree on most of it, but I love her absolutely! Top ten music hero for me!

• Like 1

Who do you always see on shows like American Idol? Limited talent singers. Who usually gets the big head and breaks up a band? The singer. Notice I used the word 'usually'. There are singers that I consider quite talented...Amy Lee for example. But to me, they're the most overrated and disposable person in a rock band (well maybe next to the keyboardist).

Oh I disagree 100%. A singer is the hardest member to replace because to me many people can play an instrument and produce equal (or close) results, however many singers are completely unique and impossible to duplicate.

That's like saying you can replace a lead guitarist with a kazoo player and it'd make no difference.

Crazy talk!

• Like 3

Who do you always see on shows like American Idol? Limited talent singers. Who usually gets the big head and breaks up a band? The singer. Notice I used the word 'usually'. There are singers that I consider quite talented...Amy Lee for example. But to me, they're the most overrated and disposable person in a rock band (well maybe next to the keyboardist).

Oh I disagree 100%. A singer is the hardest member to replace because to me many people can play an instrument and produce equal (or close) results, however many singers are completely unique and impossible to duplicate.

That's like saying you can replace a lead guitarist with a kazoo player and it'd make no difference.

Crazy talk!

100% agreed!

• Like 1

Crazy talk!

100% agreed!

Oh yeah VH went down the tubes after Dave quit. That Steve Perry guy really messed up Journey by replacing what's his name. Black Sabbath will go downhill with that Ronnie Dio guy. Singers are more disposable than the drummer from Spinal Tap. VH is a good example...no one really cares who the singer is, they're there to see Eddie. Edited by 2112FirstStreet