The Pink Floyd Thread

Bigbobby10

Any album that has the brilliant Echoes on it has to be up there with Floyd's best.Meddle is that album!

Atom Heart Mother has the way-out splendour of Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast.Brilliant!

And Syd Barrett-wrote Arnold Layne,one of the greatest psychedelic songs ever written! Genius!

As much as I enjoy latter-day Floyd, the earlier years of the band were the best.

My top five:

1) Meddle

2)Ummagumma

3) Atom Heart Mother

4)Dark Side of the Moon

5)Pipers at the Gates of Dawn

Honourable mention to Obscured by Clouds,and Wish You Were Here.

• Like 1

And for people that think David Gilmour isn't a good guitarist,

listen to 4:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4i8tzFbTAk

I'm certain very few people even think that

But they do say it

Who? And how do they justify the opinion? :blink:

It's about as credible as someone suggesting that Hendrix was derivative and unimaginative.
  • Like 1

I might have to reconsider Ummagumma being so high up, the live songs are amazing, i like them more than they did in studio, but the studio songs are OK at most

The Waters side and the DG Side are succesful IMO while the RW Side is half decent and the Amazon side sucks. As far as the live cuts go they did much better elsewhere but it is important to have that as a document.

I always wonder what could have been if they stayed together

Nope, not possible at the time. Dave would've ended up punching Roger or vice versa. It wasn't just disagreements in the end, it was bitter animosity. Roger needed to leave to do those solo albums. I'm just glad Dave and Nick decided to eventually carry on with Rick, so I could at least see 3/4ths of Pink Floyd together live.

What would have been nice though is, after they somewhat reconciled with the Live 8 gig, they could have put aside their egos and recorded a new album or even just a couple new songs right at that moment. Even if they couldn't have toured afterwards. They each made some good music on their own, but both sides were always missing something without the other.

The Final Cut & Animals. I like my Floyd over-cooked & miserable.

You said it. Me too.

Mick

Final Cut isn't one of my favorites but I do love it. I'll take it over no Waters Floyd these days. I used to love Lapse but aside from Sorrow, Yet Another Movie and Terminal Frost I never listen to it.

From about mid-69 to pre-DSOTM there was no better live band.

Edited by Digital Dad

AMLOR was a basically a gilmour solo album. and awful at that.

Division Bell was wonderful though

Mick

:smoke:

Actually DivisionBell is probably my least favorite Floyd album.

I can't be that harsh, prob sits on the middle tier, some nice DG on it at least.

Mick

I can't be that harsh, prob sits on the middle tier, some nice DG on it at least.

Goes without saying.

Mick

Goes without saying.

But it does have to be said as some of his playing puts me to sleep. That album features a few cuts of prime Gilmour. Even a few of the classic albums have become stale over time...too much radio exposure I guess.

Mick

Goes without saying.

But it does have to be said as some of his playing puts me to sleep. That album features a few cuts of prime Gilmour. Even a few of the classic albums have become stale over time...too much radio exposure I guess.

Yep. His first solo album though. Tons of tasty playing. Wish You Wre Here def gets overplayed. Sadly I fnd his solo albums more of the same. Not much variety and Division Bell is the first of those. There are hidden gems though no everything on the album is bad. Take It Back and Comng Back to Life are two songs in particular I cannot stand. Wearing the Inside Out is also bland as hell.

To me Floyd really happened with Meddle. i could never get into albums before that.

to much trippy dippy psychedelia for me. but Atom heart mother......particularly side 2 is pretty good.

Mick

• Like 2

To me Floyd really happened with Meddle. i could never get into albums before that.

to much trippy dippy psychedelia for me. but Atom heart mother......particularly side 2 is pretty good.

Mick

I used to dislike that era a lot, but now i have grown to love just about all of it, (except for More)

• Like 1

For me Pink Floyd started with Ummagumma. In high school we had 'talent' day the last Friday of every month. I remember some dancer came out on the stage dancing to 'A Narrow Way,' light show and all.

I was sitting in the audience and said, I need to find out who's playing that song. Been a fan ever since and haven't missed a tour, by the band or members of the band, that passed through NYC/NJ since 1973.

Freshman year 1970.

http://youtu.be/UKHnkOArJ4Y

Edited by custom55
  • Like 5