Different Strings

Text For Echo

Phish...got Junta, Rift, Hoist, and Round Room. I've seen them a few times back in the 90s too. I have memories of hippies and pseudo-hippies grilling grilled cheese sandwiches in the parking lot after the gigs and passing spliffs as if Mary Jane had already been legal. 15 minute jams with lyrical content limited to "UB40" and "David Bowie". Fun.

However, if I tried to relive those days today I'd probably wind up accidentally suffocating on some chick's patchouli scented armpits while passing her the bong in the back of a VW bus half an hour BEFORE the show!

Bahahahaha! Oh man I needed that lol. I always see Phish at Dick's Sporting Goods Park in Denver these days. The sound is perfect no matter where you are in the venue, so I can just sit in the darkest corner of the place and listen.

There were two of these threads, and the second one was in RS. Merged that thread into this one.

Lol oops! Sorry bout that. I started the one in RS and then realized it would probably fit better here. Still learning the ropes of TRF. Thanks for merging em bud!

After Counterparts...

Primus - Sacrilege I know, but they opened for Rush that tour and I thought their set was sweeter. Larry Lalonde is so underrated.

Phish - Got into improv, had to get away from all that structure. They are the best rock band at improvising period. Trey is such a complete guitarist.

Bill Frisell - That guy plays the guitar like nobody else.

Got back into Rush at R30, and I now actually like Counterparts.

• Like 2

After Counterparts...

Primus - Sacrilege I know, but they opened for Rush that tour and I thought their set was sweeter. Larry Lalonde is so underrated.

Phish - Got into improv, had to get away from all that structure. They are the best rock band at improvising period. Trey is such a complete guitarist.

Primus ain't no sacrilege! Primus is Rilege!

Edited by Text For Echo
  • Like 2

After Counterparts...

Primus ain't no sacrelige! Primus is Relige!

I don't know the b5 was outlawed by the church for a while there. I meant because they out-Rushed Rush.

• Like 1

Over the years...

Elton John

The Who

Peter Frampton

The Police

Sting

Queen

Heart

Genesis

ELP

Genesis (especially the earlier albums) are a band I grew up with. ...And Then There Were Three kicks so much ass!

• Like 1

Phish...got Junta, Rift, Hoist, and Round Room. I've seen them a few times back in the 90s too. I have memories of hippies and pseudo-hippies grilling grilled cheese sandwiches in the parking lot after the gigs and passing spliffs as if Mary Jane had already been legal. 15 minute jams with lyrical content limited to "UB40" and "David Bowie". Fun.

However, if I tried to relive those days today I'd probably wind up accidentally suffocating on some chick's patchouli scented armpits while passing her the bong in the back of a VW bus half an hour BEFORE the show!

Bahahahaha! Oh man I needed that lol. I always see Phish at Dick's Sporting Goods Park in Denver these days. The sound is perfect no matter where you are in the venue, so I can just sit in the darkest corner of the place and listen.

Funny thing is that everything I said was true EXCEPT for passing out before the show. :LOL:

Other bands I liked at that time and are/were of similar mold included Widespread Panic (a must see gig that sells out the place every time), Rusted Root (more hippy, more patchouli, & more of a drum circle crowd), and a fun Midwest jam band called Ekoostik Hookah. Coincidentally, E Hookah's bassist at the time looked like Geddy. It was kind of weird to see/experience that as they're playing a Jethro Tull cover while you're surrounded by hairy hippies passing you joints.

[Hookah's bassist, Cliff Starbuck (great name), is on the far right]:

http://www.columbusart.com/artscene/images/eekoostik360x263.gif

I recommend seeing all of these bands in concert if you enjoy what Phish does.

• Like 1

After Counterparts...

Primus ain't no sacrilege! Primus is Rilege!

I agree. Primus isn't all that different when analyzing the species' origin. They're like Rush's eccentric, younger second cousin.

• Like 3

Funny thing is that everything I said was true EXCEPT for passing out before the show. :LOL:

Other bands I liked at that time and are/were of similar mold included Widespread Panic (a must see gig that sells out the place every time), Rusted Root (more hippy, more patchouli, & more of a drum circle crowd), and a fun Midwest jam band called Ekoostik Hookah. Coincidentally, E Hookah's bassist at the time looked like Geddy. It was kind of weird to see/experience that as they're playing a Jethro Tull cover while you're surrounded by hairy hippies passing you joints.

I've never seen or heard live Panic, but I love Space Wrangler and Til The Medicine Takes. Not familiar with Rusted Root at all. My friend's band Blue Martian Tribe played with Ekoostik Hookah and had plenty of good things to say about em! I'll check that stuff out. Thanks bud!

• Like 1

I've never seen or heard live Panic, but I love Space Wrangler and Til The Medicine Takes. Not familiar with Rusted Root at all. My friend's band Blue Martian Tribe played with Ekoostik Hookah and had plenty of good things to say about em! I'll check that stuff out. Thanks bud!

That's cool about your pal's band.

And you're welcome!

I've seen all of those bands multiple times. It was always good fun. ANOTHER musician from that decade I loved was Ani DiFranco. Very clever, talented artist and also good in concert (though a smaller venue is best).

Additionally, you should check out Oysterhead. As far as I know, they've only got one album. A playful one at that. They were a trio made up of Les Claypool, Stewart Copeland, and Trey Anastasio. Sooooooo, the world of Rush is NOT too far off from Phish when looking at it from a certain angle.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Panic is awesome, a while ago their original guitarist passed away and Jimmy Herring took his place.

Live in The Classic City and Light Fuse Get Away are great live albums from them.

Jimmy Herring is a total bad-ass. Saw him play with Jazz Is Dead. Billy Cobham on drums, man it was great. Need to check out Panic I guess

Panic is awesome, a while ago their original guitarist passed away and Jimmy Herring took his place.

Live in The Classic City and Light Fuse Get Away are great live albums from them.

Jimmy Herring is a total bad-ass. Saw him play with Jazz Is Dead. Billy Cobham on drums, man it was great. Need to check out Panic I guess

Yes, those two album have original guitarist Michael Howser. He was still great. RIP

I always see Phish at Dick's Sporting Goods Park in Denver these days. The sound is perfect no matter where you are in the venue, so I can just sit in the darkest corner of the place and listen.

Dick's Sporting Goods Park??

What did that venue used to be called?

Please don't tell me it was formerly Red Rocks. :(

Bands I cannot relate to Rush at all...the ones I love the most:

ABBA

Lacuna Coil

Nightwish

Within Temptation

No Doubt

The Gathering

The Doors

Bands like Toto, Alter Bridge etc have trace elements I can compare to Rush.

• Like 1

I always see Phish at Dick's Sporting Goods Park in Denver these days. The sound is perfect no matter where you are in the venue, so I can just sit in the darkest corner of the place and listen.

Don't think so. Though close, Red Rocks Amphitheater isn't specifically in Denver (I think).

((Edited to add: Besides, Dicks is kind of new [again, I think].))

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Don't think so. Though close, Red Rocks Amphitheater isn't specifically in Denver (I think).

Yeah, I know; it's in Morrison. But I don't know of a venue ending in 'Park' that would be indoors, and Red Rocks is the only outdoor one I know of in that area. And I believe Phish has played there, so...I just wondered. But I'm dubious.

Yeah, I know; it's in Morrison. But I don't know of a venue ending in 'Park' that would be indoors, and Red Rocks is the only outdoor one I know of in that area. And I believe Phish has played there, so...I just wondered. But I'm dubious.

Red Rocks is still Red Rocks. Thank god!

Dick's Sporting Goods is a new stadium built for the soccer team in Commerce City, CO. It is an outdoor stadium. I was glad when Phish moved the shows there. While Red Rocks is magical, tickets sell out in a matter of seconds. Dick's is huge and it sounds great!

• Like 1