Your TRF "Post of the Day"

The Analog Cub

http://www.therushfo...80#entry3901784

Very competent album, just a total bore to listen to.

:laughing guy:

Yeah, I just can't agree with that post though. CA is a FANTASTIC album IMO....I'd like Alex to do another acoustic solo like "Hope" was...I just LOVE that song! http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Music%20Smilies/music-ENJOY.gif

Yeah, I just can't agree with that post though. CA is a FANTASTIC album IMO....I'd like Alex to do another acoustic solo like "Hope" was...I just LOVE that song! http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Music%20Smilies/music-ENJOY.gif

Hope was Snakes And Arrows...

Yes, I know that, but I was just putting forward a wish of my own.....I think both albums are great, although I've heard a lot of so called RUSH fans who trash Snakes 'n' Arrows also. My love of RUSH and their music really knows no bounds. I am a musician, (7 years Piano, 8 years in band as far as Learning about music and it's construction) and I understand some folks' tastes aren't the same as mine, but Sometimes I wonder if they're as 'informed' as I am of the workings of making music when they trash albums I know, from a musical standpoint, are EXCELLENT........ :huh:

Yes, I know that, but I was just putting forward a wish of my own.....I think both albums are great, although I've heard a lot of so called RUSH fans who trash Snakes 'n' Arrows also. My love of RUSH and their music really knows no bounds. I am a musician, (7 years Piano, 8 years in band as far as Learning about music and it's construction) and I understand some folks' tastes aren't the same as mine, but Sometimes I wonder if they're as 'informed' as I am of the workings of making music when they trash albums I know, from a musical standpoint, are EXCELLENT........ :huh:

This sounds silly to me. If someone is MORE "informed" (as you call it) than you but trashes an album you believe is excellent, where do you go from there?

Liking this or that album is all subjective. All of it.

I've known a number of musicians (some who make their living making music) yet many of them don't care about Rush. So what?

• Like 1

I might not be as "informed" about music, certainly in am not proud enough to claim to be as you have OldRushFan, but I find Clockwork Angels less interesting nor as complex as plenty of great modern rock and prog bands. It isn't up to anyone to put a negative onto my opinion because of your perceived lofty high standards (which I am afraid exist only in your mind as opinions often do in mine).

I might not be well "informed", but even a simpleton would be able to tell that even Mastodon could arguably be said to be more melodically brilliant.

Snobby comments about "how clever i am" don't make you clever, they just prove you can be close minded to what it is others entertaining.

The fact I love Rush should be enough to prove I have an ear for complex music, and well defined tastes that I can choose confidently the music I find either most enjoyable on a base level (take my love for the simplistic party fodder of Bon Jovi), or great enough to lead one to feel an almost spiritual like elevation (such as I get from Miles Davis, Tales From Topographic Oceans, Dead Can Dance).

Sorry, but sometimes I can take offence. And I just did.

Not that being offended necessarily makes me right (but then again, I don't claim to have the right or the highest standards of musical understanding ).

Edited by Segue Myles

I might not be as "informed" about music, certainly in am not proud enough to claim to be as you have OldRushFan, but I find Clockwork Angels less interesting nor as complex as plenty of great modern rock and prog bands. It isn't up to anyone to put a negative onto my opinion because of your perceived lofty high standards (which I am afraid exist only in your mind as opinions often do in mine).

I might not be well "informed", but even a simpleton would be able to tell that even Mastodon could arguably be said to be more melodically brilliant.

Snobby comments about "how clever i am" don't make you clever, they just prove you can be close minded to what it is others entertaining.

The fact I love Rush should be enough to prove I have an ear for complex music, and well defined tastes that I can choose confidently the music I find either most enjoyable on a base level (take my love for the simplistic party fodder of Bon Jovi), or great enough to lead one to feel an almost spiritual like elevation (such as I get from Miles Davis, Tales From Topographic Oceans, Dead Can Dance).

Not that being offended necessarily makes me right (but then again, I don't claim to have the right or the highest standards of musical understanding ).

people think........i've thrown out all my prog since i've liked Bon Jovi.

No.......Jovi's stupid dumb cliche rock. But i don't always want to think or devote myself to 20 minute Epics everyday.

sometimes dumb will do, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

people think........i've thrown out all my prog since i've liked Bon Jovi.

No.......Jovi's stupid dumb cliche rock. But i don't always want to think or devote myself to 20 minute Epics everyday.

sometimes dumb will do, lol

Mick

This.

• Like 1

More than anything, it's this type of stuff that turns me off to this forum completely.

We all like what we all like. Or don't like what we don't like. Who cares what anyone else's music opinion is?

I went to delete my post but it was already quoted.

Once again I type in haste like a dumb fool who thinks he has the answers.

Sorry guys!

• Like 2

This sounds silly to me. If someone is MORE "informed" (as you call it) than you but trashes an album you believe is excellent, where do you go from there?

Liking this or that album is all subjective. All of it.

I've known a number of musicians (some who make their living making music) yet many of them don't care about Rush. So what?

So it BUGS me. OK? Do they KNOW why they don't like whatever it is they don't like? I'd like it if they DID, but it ends there. I just can't understand why. And I'm a person always looking for understanding the other person's thought process on the subject.....so I can see where they're coming from. The ultimate search for understanding.....http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Thinking-AHA/idea3.gif

• Like 1

I'm Sorry if I offended you, but I want to know WHY you dislike what you do. I'm not the be-all and end-all in the knowlege of how music is constructed, I just said I know the Mechanics of it, and I'm on a mission in this life to know how others form their opinions. That's an apology if you want to look at it that way.....if you don't, oh well....I can't do anything about that.
  • Like 1

More than anything, it's this type of stuff that turns me off to this forum completely.

We all like what we all like. Or don't like what we don't like. Who cares what anyone else's music opinion is?

Sorry guys!

I'll go play some Backstreet boys now.

opps destroyed my cred here. oh my.

Mick

And I will go finish cleaning my kitchen.

• Like 2

Sorry guys!

I'll go play some Backstreet boys now.

opps destroyed my cred here. oh my.

Mick

And I will go finish cleaning my kitchen.

It's been worked out. Segue and I are still friends and admirers. THIS is why I LOVE this place! http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/LOVE/group-hug2-smiley.gif :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

• Like 3

I'm Sorry if I offended you, but I want to know WHY you dislike what you do. I'm not the be-all and end-all in the knowlege of how music is constructed, I just said I know the Mechanics of it, and I'm on a mission in this life to know how others form their opinions. That's an apology if you want to look at it that way.....if you don't, oh well....I can't do anything about that.

I'm assuming this was for me.

I wasn't offended. And I wasn't specifically talking about any album.

So you know the mechanics of music. So someone knows more. So someone knows less. Again, so what?

You like eggs. I hate eggs. Why? I hate the taste. The smell. The texture. Why? Because those things are repulsive. Why? Because. Why? Because because.

What a load of horseshit ORF.

Don't confuse your personal taste with some kind of special intuition or insight, that way snobbery lies. What you might describe as musically excellent might reasonably sound like a cacophony to most other people. I can guarantee that any album you love will be disliked by more people than like it. It's a matter of subjective taste whether one piece of music is better, the same or worse than any other and no amount of being "informed" about of music could ever make a compelling argument about worth.

Let's not forget that you have repeatedly stated online that you like everything Rush has released. That's not compelling evidence that your objectivity circuit is working correctly.

• Like 3

Don't confuse your personal taste with some kind of special intuition or insight, that way snobbery lies. What you might describe as musically excellent might reasonably sound like a cacophony to most other people. I can guarantee that any album you love will be disliked by more people than like it. It's a matter of subjective taste whether one piece of music is better, the same or worse than any other and no amount of being "informed" about of music could ever make a compelling argument about worth.

Let's not forget that you have repeatedly stated online that you like everything Rush has released. That's not compelling evidence that your objectivity circuit is working correctly.

Here's a song TonyR wrote about himself years ago. We love him all the more because of it

• Like 2

I'm assuming this was for me.

I wasn't offended. And I wasn't specifically talking about any album.

So you know the mechanics of music. So someone knows more. So someone knows less. Again, so what?

You like eggs. I hate eggs. Why? I hate the taste. The smell. The texture. Why? Because those things are repulsive. Why? Because. Why? Because because.

Once again. Apples and oranges. I'm not trying to 'toot my own horn' or anything like that. I KNOW about tastes in ANY subject, and that's part of the answer, SUBJECTIVENESS. I'm specifically wondering if the person in question KNOWS what they are talking about. Not saying I'm SMARTER than them, just curious as to if they really understand why they have their opinion, etc. And this was about Segue and I.... :)

Nobody understands me, no matter WHAT I say, so just read my sig and understand that I mean NO OFFENSE to anyone, To put it simply, I know of the mechanics of song structure and I find nothing WRONG in how RUSH built their songs. I want to know WHY others feel the way they do. So SUE me, K? :P

Here's a song TonyR wrote about himself years ago. We love him all the more because of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrgpZ0fUixs

Me LOVES my Denis Leary! I have a few albums of his, starting with the first one....My son alerts me when he releases a new one.....soooooo funny!!! http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Laughing/laugh1-smiley.gif

Edited by OldRUSHfan
  • Like 1

Nobody understands me, no matter WHAT I say, so just read my sig and understand that I mean NO OFFENSE to anyone, To put it simply, I know of the mechanics of song structure and I find nothing WRONG in how RUSH built their songs. I want to know WHY others feel the way they do. So SUE me, K? :P

Another annoying way you have is constantly apologising for offence that hasn't been taken. Twice in this thread you've done it now. Challenging your views is in no way a sign of having taken offence and I'm at a loss to why you would think like that.

You confuse starry-eyed worship with objectivity too, another thing that is not offensive but is inexplicable for someone of your age.

• Like 2

Another annoying way you have is constantly apologising for offence that hasn't been taken. Twice in this thread you've done it now. Challenging your views is in no way a sign of having taken offence and I'm at a loss to why you would think like that.

You confuse starry-eyed worship with objectivity too, another thing that is not offensive but is inexplicable for someone of your age.

As you might have guessed by now, I'm such a CHILD [still] in some of my thought processes, and I was raised as a person who always WORRIES about offending someone. I got that from my Mom, (" you're not gonna wear THAT outside, are you? WHAT WILL THE NEIGHBORS THINK????") I was also a BOY SCOUT, [EAGLE] and my band director was a former Marine, still wore his hair military style, and commanded a LOT of respect, and adhesion to RULES, as did Boy Scouts and MY MOM...my Dad was a little more relaxed, and as I've grown, some of that has found it's way in I guess....I am the way I am because of tons of factors, but I'm always learning, and so there. Strange to you and many others, but there it is. I'm ME. Take it or leave it, And, Tony, you've known of me long enough to know I'm NOT a 'starry-eyed' fanboi for ANY group. I just like groups who do what they SAY THEY WILL for me. http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Angry/soapbox6.gif

Edited by OldRUSHfan

I hate You Bet Your Life.

I hate the lyrics. I hate how they sound like Billy Joel's never ending parade of pop culture references in "We Didn't Start The Fire". That Joel song & YBYL may sound clever and fun to some but not to me. "Be-bop or a one-drop or a hip-hop lite-pop-metallist"...Nope, does nothing for me...besides make me groan internally. Why do YOU think it's great? Don't answer that!

I hate the music. I hate how light it sounds. I hate how in some sections Lifeson's guitar sound like they're there just for splashings instead of having strong direction. Isn't that a somewhat common complaint about their late 80s stuff? I hate the background vocals of "The odds get even". It sounds forced...as if they wanted to fill space instead of adding to the song (which was their likely intention).

There is my WHY. Is it sufficient or do I need a doctorate in music theory in order to be justified?

:LOL:

• Like 3

I hate the lyrics. I hate how they sound like Billy Joel's never ending parade of pop culture references in "We Didn't Start The Fire". That Joel song & YBYL may sound clever and fun to some but not to me. "Be-bop or a one-drop or a hip-hop lite-pop-metallist"...Nope, does nothing for me...besides make me groan internally. Why do YOU think it's great? Don't answer that!

I hate the music. I hate how light it sounds. I hate how in some sections Lifeson's guitar sound like they're there just for splashings instead of having strong direction. Isn't that a somewhat common complaint about their late 80s stuff? I hate the background vocals of "The odds get even". It sounds forced...as if they wanted to fill space instead of adding to the song (which was their likely intention).

There is my WHY. Is it sufficient or do I need a doctorate in music theory in order to be justified?

Nope. ;)

Nope. ;)

Frankly, I'm not sure any answer would satisfy you. You say that it's subjective as Tony said and as i think too. However, your words read like it's not. If you thought music was subjective, then why bother commenting about being knowledgable about the mechanics of songs?

Why do people like or dislike songs? Various reasons, clearly. If they can't pinpoint the exact reason, it still doesn't matter...especially since music is such an emotional thing for most people. Can I tell you the microscopic second or note or beat when Natural Science touches me? Probably not. IF I hated it, I might not be able to pinpoint the exact moment or reason either.

• Like 2