Darren switch on Bewitched

Tom Sawyer

I rewatched the the series last winter after my back surgery. The show went downhill big time after they switched Darren's.

I agree. The first Dick seemed more of an actual dick but he was the better Dick.

True. The second Dick was more of a Douche than a Dick.

• Like 1

they just flat out dicked with us.

NO explanation, they just thought. ..sure they'll notice - we'll just pretend nothing happened? !!

I know, I'm ranting buuuut I've been holding back on this for more than FORTY YEARS!

• Like 1

I rewatched the the series last winter after my back surgery. The show went downhill big time after they switched Darren's.

I agree. The first Dick seemed more of an actual dick but he was the better Dick.

I mean Dick1 seemed more clownish, while Dick 2 seemed more sensible in a contrast to this crazy existence he was married into. Also seemed like Dick2 was a more accomplished actor rather than a comedian like Dick1. Or maybe I'm just getting my Dicks crossed up.

I mean Dick1 seemed more clownish, while Dick 2 seemed more sensible in a contrast to this crazy existence he was married into. Also seemed like Dick2 was a more accomplished actor rather than a comedian like Dick1. Or maybe I'm just getting my Dicks crossed up.

I agree. Dick1 was more of a loudish buffoon, while Dick2 was more of the uptight, control-freak type.

they were both the weenie dicks, dick1 was more animated and more overreactive to the lastest hijinx/twist witch-mischief/mishap, were dick2 was a big whiner of a ridgid rationist. Note dick1 usually called here samantha, and dick2 the more annoying saaaam. ugh!

but like goose so delicately pointed out, ...with Lizzy to look at, yeah, and how about sarina, don't get me started, I was going through puberty, her and Jeannie helped "ease" the pressures of puberty for me, that's for sure ;)

• Like 1

Wow i just found this link...The first darren hurt his back severely. Addiction to pain kills ruined him.

. http://www.neatorama.com/2013/11/13/Why-Were-There-Two-Darrins-on-Bewitched/

He also smoked himself to death. He smoked a LOT. Emphysema....... :(

Obviously the second Dick was gay but you'll notice if you watch any of the episodes he was in, that he and Elizabeth Montgomery show very little physical affection in the scenes. She and the first Dick were always kissing and hugging so the change is obvious.
  • Like 1

they could have least said it was a an incantation gone wrong by um... aunt clara and they could have even had a re-occuring gag where she tries to fix it and nothing.... eventually giving up or something...

..but to just "pretend" that it must be us, because this is Darren people, I don't know who you thought you saw last four and a half years but this is Darren...now.

Obviously the second Dick was gay but you'll notice if you watch any of the episodes he was in, that he and Elizabeth Montgomery show very little physical affection in the scenes. She and the first Dick were always kissing and hugging so the change is obvious.

I don't remember it being so obvious but this show also had paul Lynde so maybe it was that but, yes, he did come out in 1991.

I don't remember it being so obvious but this show also had paul Lynde so maybe it was that but, yes, he did come out in 1991.

It was very obvious to me because I watched the entire series over about a month.

It was very obvious to me because I watched the entire series over about a month.

I mean back then during the reruns in the 70s/80s. It's not a criticism,

I mean back then during the reruns in the 70s/80s. It's not a criticism,

I wasn't taking it as a criticism, just that it really stood out to me since I watched them so closely together. :)

I heard a rumor about the movie version that I thought was the greatest idea ever. They tried to cast Jim Carrery AND Will Ferrel. The first half of the movie would've had Jim Carrey as Darren, then half way through, with no acknowledgment or explanation, Will Ferrell would take over. Egos and contract demands got in the way. It probably is urban legend. Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 3

I heard a rumor about the movie version that I thought was the greatest idea ever. They tried to cast Jim Carrery AND Will Ferrel. The first half of the movie would've had Jim Carrey as Darren, then half way through, with no acknowledgment or explanation, Will Ferrell would take over. Egos and contract demands got in the way. It probably is urban legend.

That IS a great idea, and probably an urban legend too. At times, Carrey does seem like the first Dick. I guess it's the clown in both of them.

Coincidentally, aside from a few of Carrey's more dramatic roles, I dislike both Dicks & Ferrell & Jim (his comedic stuff).

It went downhill after they switched Darren's ... Darren's what?

;)

• Like 2

It went downhill after they switched Darren's ... Darren's what?

;)

Face. ;)

• Like 2