Who's listening to Caress of Steel right now??? Who's with me??

treeduck

I've always thought that the solo on Emotion Detector, from Power Windows, is a great one. But I do get what you're saying about the New Wave feel of that period.

Grace Under Pressure has some great solos on it- as does Hold Your Fire. Still New Wavey? Yeah. Okay.

But everything 21st century has been a leap forward into the past- much beefier tone.

CARESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :7up: :7up: :Neil: :7up: :7up: :haz: :rush: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :D :D :D

...AHEM...

Yes, I'm down for that.

• Like 2

This guitar solo is epic!

I wonder why Lifeson seems unable to create great guitar solos since the mid 80's? :huh: (Apart from one or two)

The 80's synth era left him permanently scarred.

I think that was the last nail in the coffin but before that it's like once they got popular he got lazy.

• Like 1

I think I'll listen to it tonight when I get home from work. Crank up the Les Paul and play along. I always have to turn my volume down during the Return Of The Prince solo so I don't spoil it too bad.

I think I'll listen to it tonight when I get home from work. Crank up the Les Paul and play along. I always have to turn my volume down during the Return Of The Prince solo so I don't spoil it too bad.

:haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz:

I wonder why Lifeson seems unable to create great guitar solos since the mid 80's? :huh: (Apart from one or two)

I think that was the last nail in the coffin but before that it's like once they got popular he got lazy.

Maybe too much booze and too many drugs. Also, like you say, once they got out of debt and popular, he didn't have to try so hard anymore.

Maybe too much booze and too many drugs. Also, like you say, once they got out of debt and popular, he didn't have to try so hard anymore.

Once you hit it big you don't have an overall goal anymore.

I don't know, I think while his older solos were more of a speedy flurry of notes, his newer solos focus more on the emotion they can convey. So while they may not be as fast or complex they're there to enhance the mood of the song. I tend to prefer the newer ones because of this.

• Like 1

I don't know, I think while his older solos were more of a speedy flurry of notes, his newer solos focus more on the emotion they can convey. So while they may not be as fast or complex they're there to enhance the mood of the song. I tend to prefer the newer ones because of this.

I don't agree with that, his older solos have way more emotion and melody. His newer stuff is much more a scattering of chaotic notes with a lack of emotion if anything by comparison.

• Like 2

I don't agree with that, his older solos have way more emotion and melody. His newer stuff is much more a scattering of chaotic notes with a lack of emotion if anything by comparison.

I'm with you. His older solos wrap themselves around your soul. His newer stuff is fluff.

• Like 2

Yeah I agree. The older solos have much more emotion in them. The newer ones just sound like a bunch of notes thrown together without much thought.

• Like 1

You know how I would always like to remember Alex? Remember at the end on Xanadu on the DVD Exit...Stage Left when he plays those last notes with all he's got? You can see on his face that he's giving everything he has. If you don't know what I'm talking about, go watch it.

You know how I would always like to remember Alex? Remember at the end on Xanadu on the DVD Exit...Stage Left when he plays those last notes with all he's got? You can see on his face that he's giving everything he has. If you don't know what I'm talking about, go watch it.

Making the guitar face? :)

• Like 1