Best One-Two Punch - Rush or Queen's Two Classics

The Cat 3

Best One-Two Punch - Rush or Queen's Classics?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better Rush's A Farewell to Kings & Hemispheres or Queen's A Night at the Opera & A Day at the Races

• Rush's A Farewell to Kings & Hemispheres
    • Queen's A Night at the Opera & A Day at the Races

Even though I would not change my vote, there's no way that anyone who has delved into the lives of the men who made up Queen and listened to their music could say that the band is/was overblown.

They were four very, very talented and unique musicians. Brian May is a master on that guitar. And there was only one Freddie. The man was a natural and the audience adored him, and rightly so.

That's why I don't like polls. There is no "better" when it comes to music. Only preference. It's not a competition.

• Like 1

Wow, what a thread. Amazingly (but really not that surprisingly) my love for all four of these albums has only grown since 2015. Hems and ADATR especially, which I now regard as the logical culmination of everything either band had been attempting up until that point. After ADATR, Queen would dial back the pomp and circumstance in favor of arena sized anthems and rougher rocking cuts (plus some jazzy interludes). And of course, we all know Hems was to be Rush's last attempt at the sidelong epic, as well as their last full on prog record (in the classic sense of the term). I still stand by my vote for Queen here, as even when it was my least favorite Queen album (that is to say, before I got very far past it in my chronological collecting), ADATR has always meant a bit more to me than Hems. Songs like The Millionaire Waltz and You Take My Breath Away have moved me more often than Hems and (gasp) La Villa.

Four dynamite albums though.

Even though I am not very familiar with Queen's albums, I find it hard to believe that whatever they did could beat AFTK and Hemispheres. Queen was hype back then, and that's the way I still regard them.

My post just goes to show that if you really don't know much about a band, it's best to keep your opinion to yourself.

I would never call Queen hype. They were anything but.

Shame on you Lorraine. :boo hiss: :tsk:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Even though I am not very familiar with Queen's albums, I find it hard to believe that whatever they did could beat AFTK and Hemispheres. Queen was hype back then, and that's the way I still regard them.

My post just goes to show that if you really don't know much about a band, it's best to keep your opinion to yourself.

I would never call Queen hype. They were anything but.

Shame on you Lorraine. :boo hiss: :tsk:

Funny how we can grow to appreciate a band that we once may have dismissed (like me and the Who - what was I thinking?).

:)

• Like 1