Rush Concerts Attended Before 1985

Lorraine

I was mainly interested in learning who the Rush veterans are on the forum when I started this thread. They have my respect and admiration for having spotted their musical genius and epicnicity ( :LOL:) (I think I just created a new word - epicnicity - :LOL: ).
  • Like 1

Narps, you're not interested in all the live recordings that are out there?

Different strokes, no sweat...but there's some wonderful stuff to listen to, in my opinion.

I find it hard to understand too because some of the bootlegs out there are so incredible. They give me such joy too when I listen to them. Beats the albums any time or day. :)

It's the sound quality Lorraine. Mostly it's just bad.

What are you talking about? The sound quality on the albums?

Different strokes, no sweat...but there's some wonderful stuff to listen to, in my opinion.

I find it hard to understand too because some of the bootlegs out there are so incredible. They give me such joy too when I listen to them. Beats the albums any time or day. :)

I think there are quite a few boots out there that suffer in the sound quality department, yes. That will be true for just about any band.

But there are a great many that I think are fantastic! So I stick to those. :)

Edited by Blue J

He was talking about the sound quality of the boots? Maybe some are bad, but many are better than the official tour cds/dvds.

The bootlegs capture the raw band, not the polished version for general consumption.

Yeah, I agree...and it's totally subjective as far as what is better about them. I think some of Geddy's banter between tunes is priceless, for example.

And yeah, a bootleg happens in real time, if that makes sense, whereas an official live album is always, to some extent or another, sort of...sculpted. I can't think of a better word for it, at the moment.

Again, it's a case where there are definite differences, between official or 'unofficial' live recordings- they both have their charms.

• Like 3

What are you talking about? The sound quality on the albums?

The boots. Most of the studio albums sound pretty good. There are exceptions of course.

• Like 1

He was talking about the sound quality of the boots? Maybe some are bad, but many are better than the official tour cds/dvds.

The sound quality of most of the "official" live recordings is marginal also. That is the biggest reason why I listen to the studio recordings most of the time.

• Like 1

I never liked bootlegs until Rush. I remember back in 1971 or 1972 hearing a Neil Young bootleg album and it was awful. Then there was Jonathan Schwartz, who was a disc jockey on WNEW-FM back in the day, who always played bootleg cuts on his late night radio show. But they always sounded tinny.

I don't know how even those who recorded Rush concerts in the seventies, with few exceptions, managed to sound good. Must be because Rush was always under a lucky star or something. :)

• Like 1

Xanadu is a good example. They did something in concert on that song that wasn't done in the studio version. It was Neil that added something. I'm so used to hearing that in the live versions of the song, that I miss it very much when I listen to the studio version.

I won't mention the other tune that is better live than studio. Out of respect for the Rush veteran JARG. Who doesn't care for the song. ;) ;) :hug2:

• Like 1

I never liked bootlegs until Rush. I remember back in 1971 or 1972 hearing a Neil Young bootleg album and it was awful. Then there was Jonathan Schwartz, who was a disc jockey on WNEW-FM back in the day, who always played bootleg cuts on his late night radio show. But they always sounded tinny.

I don't know how even those who recorded Rush concerts in the seventies, with few exceptions, managed to sound good. Must be because Rush was always under a lucky star or something. :)

That's what is strange to me. Even with the technological advancements in live recording, ATWAS is by far the best sounding "official" live Rush recording and it's the oldest one!

• Like 1

That's what is strange to me. Even with the technological advancements in live recording, ATWAS is by far the best sounding "official" live Rush recording and it's the oldest one!

I agree wholeheartedly with you about that. It is very true. That is the best! There's something very comforting about that album, and I love to listen to it. I once said that listening to it is like wrapping yourself up in a warm blanket on a cold winter's day and sitting on a comfortable couch. I don't know how else to describe it.

• Like 3

Hi, I saw them:

Comiskey Park Jam II, August, 1979 Partial Tour of the hemispheres

Alpine Valley, September 1979, Partial Tour of the Hemispheres

International Amphitheatre, (April 3,4, and 6) 3 times out of 4 nights, Chicago, 1980, Permanent Waves

International Amphitheatre, Feb 26 and 28 (once first row!), Chicago, 1981,Moving Pictures

Alpine Valley, Wisconsin, July 4, 3rd Row, 1981, Moving Pictures

Veterans Memorial, September 8th, Des Moines, IA, was 1st row in general admission and got pushed back to 7th row, 1982, Signals

Rosemont Horizon, June 29th and June 30th, 1984, Grace Under Pressure

So, saw them 11 times between 1979-1985.

• Like 2

I saw them LOTS of times in the 70's and early 80's - in fact the vast majority of my total shows attended. That includes a Massey Hall ATWAS show.

Were they highly regarded in Toronto back then? Or were they considered "just another local band"?

I agree wholeheartedly with you about that. It is very true. That is the best! There's something very comforting about that album, and I love to listen to it. I once said that listening to it is like wrapping yourself up in a warm blanket on a cold winter's day and sitting on a comfortable couch. I don't know how else to describe it.

For me it's like an old friend that has never left me. The fact that it was my first album purchased when I got started with this whole adventure called music kind of still amazes me... :codger:
  • Like 4

I saw them LOTS of times in the 70's and early 80's - in fact the vast majority of my total shows attended. That includes a Massey Hall ATWAS show.

That fact alone wins you the Grand Prize. What a show that must have been to be at. :wub: :wub: :wub:

• Like 1

January 20, 1979 Baltimore Civic Center Hemispheres tour

August 22, 1979 Capital Centre Largo MD Permanent Waves warm up tour

September 26, 1980 Capital Centre Largo MD Moving Pictures warm up tour

May 16, 1981 Capital Centre Largo MD Moving Pictures tour

November 29, 1982 Capital Centre Largo MD Signals tour :wub:

September 27, 1984 Capital Centre Largo MD Grace Under Pressure tour

December 16, 1985 Capital Centre Largo MD Power Windows tour

The family years...

The glorious return to Rush live Vapor Trails tour July 1, 2002 that I took my daughter to... :)

You saw "Hemispheres." You bastard!!!!!

indeed. Just wish I could remember much of it. Geez I was so young. All I remember is I went alone and drove to Baltimore and it was dead of winter and cold as a mofo.... :)

That's awesome buddy! You went alone in the dead of winter. That's dedication! That's balls!

I went down to LA and saw two Rush shows by myself. First time ever alone. I LOVED IT!!!!!!

Well I was alone because a chick magnet I was not by any means. Actually with the exception of the 3 times I saw Journey with my wife in their absolute heyday I went to most of the rock concerts (and there were many) with my friends...

Man, I know this is a Rush page, but I envy you almost as much for seeing Journey in their prime as I do you seeing Rush in theirs.

• Like 1

That fact alone wins you the Grand Prize. What a show that must have been to be at. :wub: :wub: :wub:

For me it's like an old friend that has never left me. The fact that it was my first album purchased when I got started with this whole adventure called music kind of still amazes me... :codger:

When I bought that album, I had...I think...2 Rush albums, Grace Under Pressure and Fly By Night. That was back when record stores (any of you guys remember those?) had just about every album by an artist you could want. It was a tough decision, but I bought ATWAS based on album cover alone. Boy, was I blown away!

• Like 1

The family years...

The glorious return to Rush live Vapor Trails tour July 1, 2002 that I took my daughter to... :)

indeed. Just wish I could remember much of it. Geez I was so young. All I remember is I went alone and drove to Baltimore and it was dead of winter and cold as a mofo.... :)

That's awesome buddy! You went alone in the dead of winter. That's dedication! That's balls!

I went down to LA and saw two Rush shows by myself. First time ever alone. I LOVED IT!!!!!!

Well I was alone because a chick magnet I was not by any means. Actually with the exception of the 3 times I saw Journey with my wife in their absolute heyday I went to most of the rock concerts (and there were many) with my friends...

Man, I know this is a Rush page, but I envy you almost as much for seeing Journey in their prime as I do you seeing Rush in theirs.

Thanks they were good I must say. That would have been 80' - 83'. I prefer the Infinity style a bit more but Evolution, Departure and Escape were pretty good days as well... :cheers:
  • Like 1

The family years...

Thanks they were good I must say. That would have been 80' - 83'. I prefer the Infinity style a bit more but Evolution, Departure and Escape were pretty good days as well... :cheers:

I love Dixie Highway off of "Captured." Anyone that says Journey only did ballads should be forced to listen to that little tune!

• Like 1

The family years...

A week later after that September show I saw my first RUSH show in Hampton VA. I also was at that PW show at the now demolished Cap Centre. That VT show one of five as well in Bristow VA July 9th. I even took the crazy choice of seeing them on that tour in Baltimore when the DC Sniper had the Metro area on lockdown while the next night I was traveling to London for a wedding.

• Like 1

Every once in a while we get on a Journey bandwagon here.

Right, Narps?

Indeed. There is alot to love there. They had a heck of a run there for a while. It's difficult to not be happy listening to those records I must say... :)
  • Like 3