My Interesting Night Out with Sis

sullysue

Tonight, my sister took me to my first concert in... OMG, about 5 or 6 years! We saw (snicker to yourselves, please.) Earth, Wind and Fire and Chicago. Silly, sappy 70's bands for the youngin's who aren't familiar. I was really excited to just get out and do something that didn't involve my role as mother and wife. At first, I felt kinda silly. I mean, these are two bands that were big when I was in elementary school. Chicago is still cool to listen to... every once in a while, when the CD player is dead and the only thing left to listen to is cassettes. And, Earth, Wind and Fire? unsure.gif I think I was into them at some point that I seem to have mentally blocked from my memory. But, it was, as I said before, just nice to get out.

So, we're hangin' out, waiting for the cheese fest to begin, when this guy walks by with a VERY familiar T-shirt. I did a double take, and lo and behold, the dude is wearing a Vapor Trails tour shirt! ohmy.gif I freaked. My sister told me to stop acting like a moron. And, just then, the lights went down and the concert mercifully (or not, depending on your perspective) started. So, Earth, Wind, and Fire played and I had a few ( unsure.gif ) drinks. They finished, and there was an intermission between the bands. Feeling silly, I went to talk to Vapor Trails dude. I walked up and said, "I don't want to sound weird, but I like your shirt. Did you go to that concert here?" Well... he looked at me as if I were speaking a foreign language. Incidentally, I was. The guy's from Chile. His friend told me, yes, they did see the VT tour at the Smirnoff Center. I told him to come join The Rush Forum, and I left feeling very happy that at least one of them spoke English. wacko.gif

Two ginormous $500 a pop beers later, I was dancing my stupid honkie ass off to Boogie Wonderland played by an ensembled EWF and Chicago.

What a bizzare night.

So, now, I'm up at 1 a.m., unable to settle down. Thought I'd share with you guys. Thanks. 653.gif

(Oh, and yes, I have pictures. scared.gif )

Big time Chicago fan (the old stuff) and I like EW&F too. That was probably an awesome show.

Good you got to get out, Sue!! Glad you had a good night. Let's see if you get to welcome them to TRF!! 653.gif

Was into both these groups at some point in my fledgling music listening career. Glad you had a good time.

For the best use of a Chicago soundclip in a movie, see Shaun of the Dead

Ed: Who put that song on?

Simon: (sobbing) It was on random!

cool.gif

Schro

Cool Sully, gald you had a good time.

So that means you missed The Boys on the last 2 tours? What a bummer. You'll just have to go to multiple shows next time to make up for it. Vegas for sure if they play there. I am sure we will have a gathering there when it happpens...

I saw EWF a few years ago (a double bill with Chaka Khan opening...let's just say we showed up REAL late wink.gif ). The band was TIGHT and energetic, and it was fun, but since original member Maurice White wasn't there, they couldn't perform certain songs without him (for legal reasons, or so I heard). That made for a short list of songs that they could play, so to fill out the rest of the set, they had some DJ guy up there mixing a bunch of stupid non-EWF songs for 10 minutes. THAT was laaaaaaaame. Then to fill out more time, they spent several minutes introducing every member of the band, and they have about a hundred guys in the horn section. Still, it was enjoyable.

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Aug 21 2005, 12:15 PM)
Cool Sully, gald you had a good time.

So that means you missed The Boys on the last 2 tours? What a bummer. You'll just have to go to multiple shows next time to make up for it. Vegas for sure if they play there. I am sure we will have a gathering there when it happpens...

Dude, I haven't seen them since the Roll the Bones tour. sad.gif All I could think about last night was how I can start now securing front row, left-hand side of the stage tickets for when Rush comes to town.

Last night was so much fun. And I love Chicago, but it's basically a new band with the old band's name. The bass player is a cutie and had a very good voice, as did the lead guitarist. They had two drummers, too. That was kind of cool. The horns for both bands were incredible. It was fun to hear those songs again and just let loose. I'm really tired today, though. I hate being old. mad.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 21 2005, 01:25 PM)
I saw EWF a few years ago (a double bill with Chaka Khan opening...let's just say we showed up REAL late wink.gif ). The band was TIGHT and energetic, and it was fun, but since original member Maurice White wasn't there, they couldn't perform certain songs without him (for legal reasons, or so I heard). That made for a short list of songs that they could play, so to fill out the rest of the set, they had some DJ guy up there mixing a bunch of stupid non-EWF songs for 10 minutes. THAT was laaaaaaaame. Then to fill out more time, they spent several minutes introducing every member of the band, and they have about a hundred guys in the horn section. Still, it was enjoyable.

I would have like to have checked out Chaka Khan. I think she's great. laugh.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Aug 21 2005, 01:47 PM)
All I could think about last night was how I can start now securing front row, left-hand side of the stage tickets for when Rush comes to town.

Last night was so much fun.

Would that be stage left or house left? wacko.gif

It's fun to have fun, especially when you're old. old.gif

When I saw Chicago, they were called Chicago Transit Authority, and they were opening for Jimi Hendrix on the Electric Ladyland Tour of '69. Funny that it's not even the same guys now.

Archived