Which Rush albums do you think should be remixed?

YYZumbi

Which Rush albums do you think should be remixed and who do you think should do the remix job?

I am talking about both studio albums and live albums now.

For me it is:

Rush In Rio

Clockwork Angels

Clockwork Angels Tour

It was also Vapor Trails, but they have fixed that now!

And the one that should do it is Steven Wilson!

• Like 2

For me it is:

Rush In Rio

Clockwork Angels

Clockwork Angels Tour

It was also Vapor Trails, but they have fixed that now!

And the one that should do it is Steven Wilson!

Was about to day VT and then i thought like

"You idiot, VT was already remixed"

Signals and Presto.

I cannot stand how poor Signals sounds after the mammoth production job on MP. Sorry, its hideously thin.

Presto works to my ears, the songs are simpler and the songs benefit more from the airy production than Signals. But if a remix will cheer the fans up, go for it!

Roll The Bones could easily be rerecorded.

I'm not convinced that it would make much difference. Vapor Trails Remixed sounds "better" than the original, but it still sounds awful. It seems there's only so much that can be done with what's already there.

And anyway, I'm happy with most of Rush's albums sonically. Clockwork Angels doesn't sound great, but the material is so good that it doesn't really matter.

• Like 1

^^^ Agree 100% on Vapor Trails it still sounds lousy. I would love to hear CA redone, re-engineered, remixed whatever you call it or all of the above. Could be great with a more minimalist approach. Way to noisy as it is and hard to listen to. I guess Presto even though I really don't hear the lack of doodads myself. Gonna mention Rio anyway even though its live. Sounds like sh*t and the show was to good to be left with that mess. Criminal really. I am not sure anything could be done about FBN gaining a few more doodads or not at this point. I have always loved it of course but it is recorded in a very lack of balls way in my view. Fortunate many of the songs are on ATWAS and I get the full balls versions and its where I heard all those songs first anyway.... :codger: Edited by Narps
  • Like 1

Signals and Presto.

I cannot stand how poor Signals sounds after the mammoth production job on MP. Sorry, its hideously thin.

Presto works to my ears, the songs are simpler and the songs benefit more from the airy production than Signals. But if a remix will cheer the fans up, go for it!

I think Signals sounds great, not thin at all...

• Like 5

Signals and Presto.

I think Signals sounds great, not thin at all...

Signals sounds great to me too. I can't think of a single song on there that doesn't sound good to me.

• Like 2

^^^ Agree 100% on Vapor Trails it still sounds lousy. I would love to hear CA redone, re-engineered, remixed whatever you call it or all of the above. Could be great with a more minimalist approach. Way to noisy as it is and hard to listen to. I guess Presto even though I really don't hear the lack of doodads myself. Gonna mention Rio anyway even though its live. Sounds like sh*t and the show was to good to be left with that mess. Criminal really. I am not sure anything could be done about FBN gaining a few more doodads or not at this point. I have always loved it of course but it is recorded in a very lack of balls way in my view. Fortunate many of the songs are on ATWAS and I get the full balls versions and its where I heard all those songs first anyway.... :codger:

Awaiting Tombstone Mountain in

• Like 1

^^^ Agree 100% on Vapor Trails it still sounds lousy. I would love to hear CA redone, re-engineered, remixed whatever you call it or all of the above. Could be great with a more minimalist approach. Way to noisy as it is and hard to listen to. I guess Presto even though I really don't hear the lack of doodads myself. Gonna mention Rio anyway even though its live. Sounds like sh*t and the show was to good to be left with that mess. Criminal really. I am not sure anything could be done about FBN gaining a few more doodads or not at this point. I have always loved it of course but it is recorded in a very lack of balls way in my view. Fortunate many of the songs are on ATWAS and I get the full balls versions and its where I heard all those songs first anyway.... :codger:

Awaiting Tombstone Mountain in

Nah. All that sh*t has slowed down some. Its a shame because 80% of it is excellent from a songs point of view...
  • Like 1

This is the one to get If you can...

http://cdn.discogs.com/cwvXXL7GXQ5VshTDUFmY5rH7ImI=/fit-in/300x300/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb()/discogs-images/R-426606-1389501376-2059.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Na na na
  • Like 1

Signals: Have Terry Brown redo it, only sit him down and make him listen to MP 100 times first. Like how we need to make Spielberg rewatch Jurassic Park on repeat before we let him make any more movies. "Do you see what you did there? Go back to doing that!"

RTB... just throw the raw materials out there and may the best fan mix win. IMO that's the worst-produced album. I'd rather have the mix be too in-your-face like the last few albums than have it be lost in a tin can.

(Slightly tangential, but if you want to know what classic-era Rush might have sounded like in today's production climate, you can just listen to certain tracks from the last Dream Theater album.)

• Like 1

When Signals first came out, it sounded (in particular on cassette) as if it were recorded in a coffee can with a blanket over it. Subsequent remixes have made it better. I remember Terry Brown saying once about MP was that they got the drum sound down as perfect as possible and that is a key element, to which I agree.

Rush In Rio may be a lost cause. When 50,000 people singing YYZ sounds better than the music coming off the stage, then, well...

I would love to hear Clockwork Angels without any loudness at all. Loudness blows. This is the LAST BAND ON EARTH that ANYONE should have to turn down the volume to hear more details. "Geddy is a better bass player then ever, hey Nick, drown that chit out, will ya?" :rage:

Exit Stage Left. They need to go back to the original tapes and re-edit and re analyze the sound. They can remix any way hey like but if they dont start from the raw bones they'll never get it to sound amazing. PeW and MP sound amazing. Pefect person for the job? Steven Wilson.

CA is definitely at the top of the list. I'd listen to it more if the wall of noise didn't fatigue me so much. Next obvious choices are RTB, Presto and TFE. I also kinda agree about Signals, it could use more punch.
  • Like 1

CA. I swear you'd hear a different opinion from me if it were done right.

Mick

Yeah same here. I'd also like to include Presto and Roll The Bones.

• Like 1

Signals: Have Terry Brown redo it, only sit him down and make him listen to MP 100 times first. Like how we need to make Spielberg rewatch Jurassic Park on repeat before we let him make any more movies. "Do you see what you did there? Go back to doing that!"

RTB... just throw the raw materials out there and may the best fan mix win. IMO that's the worst-produced album. I'd rather have the mix be too in-your-face like the last few albums than have it be lost in a tin can.

(Slightly tangential, but if you want to know what classic-era Rush might have sounded like in today's production climate, you can just listen to certain tracks from the last Dream Theater album.)

Spielberg has barely stepped a foot wrong in the last twenty five years! Even the bad films are worthy simply because he went out of his comfort zone! And by bad for him, I mean overall excellent!

Spielberg has barely stepped a foot wrong in the last twenty five years! Even the bad films are worthy simply because he went out of his comfort zone! And by bad for him, I mean overall excellent!

Terminal, War of the Worlds, Munich, Crystal Skull... all pretty bad. Don't even get me started on the unbearable Lincoln.

• Like 1

Terminal, War of the Worlds, Munich, Crystal Skull... all pretty bad. Don't even get me started on the unbearable Lincoln.

Terminal is sweet, no worse than 1941, and better than Always and Hook.

The War Of The Worlds is flawed, but excellent fun in places and the effects are astonishing.

Munich to be fair is a bad film. Forgot it exists. Again, better than Hook.

Crystal Skull is sadly not his fault, Lucas had the final say on the chosen script. The cast were good, the bad points at least laughable.

Tintin, War Horse, Catch Me If You Can, Schindler's List...these four films are good to absolutely world class extraordinary (Schindler's List is my favourite film of all time, proving that Jurassic Park wasn't even the best Spielberg film of 1993!).

Personally, I would buy anything they remixed. But I think Presto is the most in need of a remix, followed by Snakes and Arrows.

They could just delete SA if you ask me. I wouldn't notice any difference!