Good artists with bad names...

Easy. I love Rush. But their name... Not so much.

Rush is a bad name, always thought so

Another bad name for a band with some phenomenal music is a band named f**k. Obviously, the guys in f**k decided they didn't want to become rich and famous and just wanted to produce their art on Alternative Tentacle records, which couldn't care less what you name your band. But it's really good music and tou'll never hear about them.

Same with Fudge Tunnel :laughing guy:

'f**k' and 'Fudge Tunnel' - those for real? :blink:

Easy. I love Rush. But their name... Not so much.

Rush is a bad name, always thought so

Another bad name for a band with some phenomenal music is a band named f**k. Obviously, the guys in f**k decided they didn't want to become rich and famous and just wanted to produce their art on Alternative Tentacle records, which couldn't care less what you name your band. But it's really good music and tou'll never hear about them.

Same with Fudge Tunnel :laughing guy:

'f**k' and 'Fudge Tunnel' - those for real? :blink:

I think Fudge Tunnel is the house band at the Willy Wonka factory.

Here is the thread to post (what you think are) decent bands with bad names - let me start: The Beatles. My second favorite band of all time (just after RUSH), but I'm always so hesitant to even say the band name.... It is not very good. Also, Pink Floyd isn't a great name...

Post on!

Pearl Jam is kinda gross when you think about it.

http://i.imgur.com/s8JlpMN.gif

Oh god, it just hit me. How'd that go over my head

Rather over your head than square in the face!

• Like 1

It Hugs Back. Songs like this suggest Sonic Youth meets early My Bloody Valentine (which is a good thing) but the name suggests twee English art students who formed a band as a school project. Which might be the case, but that's not a good thing to advertise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf5meA77meg

As far as names that make you go ewww, I'll nominate the Circle Jerks. Re Butthole Surfers, that's a great name. Even better is how they got it, supposedly. Early on, when asked their name by an MC they just shrugged, so in disgust the MC announced them as the Butthole Surfers, and the name stuck.

Edited by Rutlefan

In defense of The Monkees, it's hard to distinguish anymore what is and is not pre-packaged. The Sex Pistols were as much a conceit as The Monkees, and apart from Steve Jones not as talented, yet they're in the RHoF. I "discovered" this song a little while ago. Fantastic; I had no idea The Monkees did this kind of thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtPdPcBvM4M

Edited by Rutlefan

If anyone cares to they should sit down and really watch that movie. The Monkees film Head. Sit back relax and forget everything you thought you knew about the band and absorb this film. Its no a masterpiece by far but it is illuminating behong words. Trust me on this. I have been a Monkees fan since childhood and thats no joke. This is not the weekly kid show you may have watched as a child. They sought to push the boundaries while staying true to their real selves and not some factory construct.
  • Like 2

People who discredit the Monkees for being fabricated probably can't name one proper Monkees album. They make misinformed arguments similar to calling the Beatles a boy band.

The truth is the Monkees fought to control their music and the music benefited. Like I mentioned earlier, session musicians were used all the time. Pet Sounds is more a Wrecking Crew album than a Beach Boys album. It's rarely held against the Beach Boys.

I love the Monkees. A great band, stupid name and all.

• Like 1

Can anyone beat Meat Loaf?

C'mon, the name suits him well. He LOOKS like a meat loaf to me.

Various Artists

No way! Various Artists is a fantabulous name! Lol

It really is. Just as the name of my childhood's favourite actor, Also Starring.

ABBA

Agnetha, Björn, Benny and Annifrid. Makes sense.

• Like 1