Altered/Shortened versions of songs

toymaker

What's your opinion about the changes?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Natural Science repeats "wheels within wheels" and loses the second solo. Do you care?

• I like the changes
    • I wish they'd leave the arrangement of the song like it is on the album
    • I like hearing the "wheels within wheels" part twice
    • I don't hear the point of doing "wheels within wheels" twice - I can't get used to it
    • I miss the second solo
    • I don't miss the second solo
    • I like the original electronic sound effects from the album during the "computerized clinic" part
    • I like the new R2D2 sound effects
  2. 2. Xanadu doesn't have the little outro part, with the melody played by Lee. Do you care?

• I love that part on the album, and it wouldn't kill them to play it.
    • Why really bother with the double neck if Lee's not going to play that little melody?
    • At that point in the song, it's pretty much over - I don't miss that part.
    • Give the guys a break - those guitars are heavy.
  3. 3. Cygnus X-1 is very altered - do you care?

• I wish they'd make an effort to play the original arrangment - even if Geddy radically altered the vocal.
    • I think it works cool as an instrumental, and I'm happy they're playing some version of it at all.
    • I miss the solo, one of Alex's most manic and passionate performances.

People have commented on these tunes in particular, as well as the missing "24th of May" part in Lakeside Park. You might also want to comment on the end of Jacob's Ladder.

With the exception of Cygnus X-1, which I think is cool, I wish they'd go back to the original arrangements of Natural Science and Xanadu. It's not a whole extra lot of music to play, but it would make the tunes more complete.

I'm totally Rush-geeking out on a rainy day.

I haven't heard Natural Science since I only have the Tulsa show so I can't vote on that, but I agree with you, toymaker, on Xanadu. I immediately missed that part, and I don't think it would have taxed them to do the part they left out since they were doing the entire song anyway.

As for Cygnus, I would have loved to hear the entire song even if Geddy had radically altered the vocals.

• Like 1

In such times as these I consider myself fortunate that I am really ignorant when I comes to music and the details and minutiae involved. I notice very little unless the song is just cut down to half or something...

I haven't heard Natural Science since I only have the Tulsa show so I can't vote on that, but I agree with you, toymaker, on Xanadu. I immediately missed that part, and I don't think it would have taxed them to do the part they left out since they were doing the entire song anyway.

As for Cygnus, I would have loved to hear the entire song even if Geddy had radically altered the vocals.

The Natural Science they're playing is the same arrangement they play on Rush in Rio - do you recall it (that might be the DVD that you said went missing...)?

The Natural Science they're playing is the same arrangement they play on Rush in Rio - do you recall it (that might be the DVD that you said went missing...)?

Yes, I have it, and if that is the case, then, no - I wouldn't miss it.

In such times as these I consider myself fortunate that I am really ignorant when I comes to music and the details and minutiae involved. I notice very little unless the song is just cut down to half or something...

I'm the same way. I don't even know what part in Xanadu the OP is talking about? I saw them twice this tour and it sounded like the full song to me both times.

• Like 1

You don't have to be a musical genius to know what part of Xanadu he's referring to. I love the song, and I've listened to it countless times. I would know when someone was off key, and I would know if a part was left out. The song is embedded in my mind.

I can say the same for any other album or song I've listened to countless times.

And I can't play one instrument and know nothing about music. :huh:

Edited by Lorraine

I'm the same way. I don't even know what part in Xanadu the OP is talking about? I saw them twice this tour and it sounded like the full song to me both times.

I think its cool that some folks are so in "tune" with all the details of their music and music in general but I am a long way from one of those people. I probably may have been that way a long while back in the day when I was listening to them and others constantly in my free time (of which I had plenty in my teen years). Now I just wouldn't notice because the notes and parts are just not ingrained in my brain as they used to be.... :sigh: :codger:

It's live so I don't mind if they don't play it exactly like the studio version. I think it's interesting to hear altered versions of these songs. I have to say I prefer their short instrumental live version of Cygnus X-1 to the one from ATFK. Edited by Tuesday's Gone

Honestly I miss the slow strummed guitar at the end of Cygnus. I think it really adds to the feel of the song and it sounds odd for them to just end it like they have been.

The wheels upon wheels has always bugged me. It always sounds like a mistake.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

Honestly I miss the slow strummed guitar at the end of Cygnus. I think it really adds to the feel of the song and it sounds odd for them to just end it like they have been.

Yeah - those minor chords just conjure that sense of emptiness somehow.

It's also cool that it's a climb but also a descent, if you know what I mean.

Edited by toymaker

Exactly. There such a hopeless, empty feeling to it.

Exactly. There such a hopeless, empty feeling to it.

Minor chords . . . It's such a mystery how a one semi-tone difference in one note of a triad can cause such a different feeling. Lifeson strings a few of them together and it's not hard to imagine that emptiness.

• Like 1

How did I get to be in the majority on all three of these?

I really like that second verse of Natural Science. Thought it was a mistake when I heard it opening night in Albany in 1996. They say they like the arrangement better so I've become cool with it over the years.

The Xanadu thing seems like such a small omission but to them maybe it isn't.

If they are going to do Cygnus at all, it may as well be this arrangement. The '70s stuff only works when there is an energy and desire to play it and when there is it can be a wonderful thing. (See the Newark show.)

Edited by ytserush
  • Like 1

I think Cygnus has the most energy of anything in the setlist right now other than Xanadu.

Love some of Lee's new bass licks at the start.

I think Cygnus has the most energy of anything in the setlist right now other than Xanadu.

You mean the twiddledeedee and the bends? :LOL:

That sounds like a band name from the 50s.

It sounds like he's using a bit of the bass riff - or that style - from Malignant Narcissism.

It sounds like he's using a bit of the bass riff - or that style - from Malignant Narcissism.

:D Don't you know a twiddledeedee when you hear one?

I never took lessons, so . . .

I never took lessons, so . . .

:)

I think that songs being shortened and altered is to conserve time and energy so they could pull off this amazing intense and very taxing show they're putting on, which is absolutely fine with me. I'd rather hear these songs in shortened or altered versions than not at all.
  • Like 3

I LOVE Lakeside Park and was totally bummed to not hear the second half, that's my favorite part!
  • Like 1