The Latest Van Halen squabbles - Hagar: f**k you Eddie, you're a liar!

treeduck

I guess what Rick means is that EVH opened the doors for that shredding style - even though he's MUCH more than that - and this drove the attention that Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert, Marty Friedman, Jason Becker, Tony Macalpine, Vinnie Moore and many, MANY more got in the 80's.

Guitarists surpassed Eddie in the technical department throughout the 80s because Eddie inspired them. Go on any guitar based forum, and you will hear stories about the first time guitar players heard Van Halen 1 in 1978. There was no referance point for Eddies playing. I wish Eddie never recorded Eruption..everyone was too shortsighted to realize you needed songs, melody, riffs..you know, actually being a musician..not some circus guitar shredder dude.

Edited by Xanadoood

I guess what Rick means is that EVH opened the doors for that shredding style - even though he's MUCH more than that - and this drove the attention that Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert, Marty Friedman, Jason Becker, Tony Macalpine, Vinnie Moore and many, MANY more got in the 80's.

Guitarists surpassed Eddie in the technical department throughout the 80s because Eddie inspired them. Go on any guitar based forum, and you will hear stories about the first time guitar players heard Van Halen 1 in 1978. There was no referance point for Eddies playing. I wish Eddie never recorded Eruption..everyone was too shortsighted to realize you needed songs, melody, riffs..you know, actually being a musician..not some circus guitar shredder dude.

I actually think the fact that someone like Malmsteen is known by anyone shows the influence EVH had on music. He's had a few opportunities, but outside of pretty committed metal fans, no one really knows who he is. Because his talent is pretty much limited to his "vaunted" shredding ability. Rodrigo put it better than I did. EVH's popularity motivated record labels, who are nothing if not "copycats," to pay closer attention to guitarists with technical flash than they might otherwise have deserved.

Eddie Van Halen's obvious personality flaws aside, the man can write music, epic rock music. Sure, he really hasn't released music for the last 15 years or so, but that only points out how revolutionary and GOOD his music with Van Halen is to this day, though a lot of Van Hagar stuff was pretty much off the shelf. :)

EVH also said in another interview today that roth is not his friend anymore

Eddie's only friend is Alex. Not the best one, but the only one.

He's a great guitar player, maybe the greatest. But not very intelligent human being, obviously. His interviews are boring and stupid these days. I read the last one where he said that "he hasn't listened to any music in years".

Not defending Sammy... he's a cokehead no doubt... but I sympathize him a lot. VH would be much better with Sammy and Michael now... DLR is a joke who has lost his voice completely (he didn't have much to begin with)....and in his current form he has a stage charisma of a beached whale... at least Sammy can still sing.

Edited by Detonator

Ed may be a prick, but Sammy is an even bigger one.

No one can be bigger than Eddie lol, and he'll tell you so.

He's a great guitar player, maybe the greatest. But not very intelligent human being, obviously. His interviews are boring and stupid these days. I read the last one where he said that "he hasn't listened to any music in years".

Not defending Sammy... he's a cokehead no doubt... but I sympathize him a lot. VH would be much better with Sammy and Michael now... DLR is a joke who has lost his voice completely (he didn't have much to begin with)....and in his current form he has a stage charisma of a beached whale... at least Sammy can still sing.

Please let's not get carried away.

Please let's not get carried away.

In the context of what Eddie Van Halen did and when he did it, it can certainly be argued he's the greatest rock guitarist of all-time.

one of the most influential? of course. the absolute greatest? no disrespect, but is nostalgia playing a role here? keep in mind I was listening to van halen this morning so I'm not trying to be a hipster or anything.

one of the most influential? of course. the absolute greatest? no disrespect, but is nostalgia playing a role here? keep in mind I was listening to van halen this morning so I'm not trying to be a hipster or anything.

I don't there is a "greatest" of anything. It can be debated. It can be argued. That's the point. The man revolutionized how the guitar is played in rock music.

• Like 3

Things were different after Eddie Van Halen appeared. How many rock musicians can you seriously say that about?

The man made a stamp on popular culture, not just a genre of music.

I think that's a pretty strong argument.

• Like 1

I know that it can be argued, that's why I'm responding to these posts with a different opinion. one person posts one opinion, the next person posts another. the way of the message board. it goes without saying that no one's really trying to convince the other person that his opinion is wrong, we're just talking here.

EVH is not my favorite guitarist, therefore you're all wrong.

Things were different after Eddie Van Halen appeared. How many rock musicians can you seriously say that about?

kurt cobain, but you'd be laughed at for calling him the greatest guitarist.

also, not as famous and not an MTV posterboy but johnny ramone - ramones style became the punk style, which was and still is a popular cultural image. he's influenced countless guitarists, many of which released records after the 1980s. still wouldn't call the guy the greatest guitarist.

Edited by bathory

But while nostalgia probably plays a role in my view of Eddie, don't you think the fact that he's still alive, but has been relatively quiet since 1995 (A Different Kind of Truth is actually an enjoyable album, but most of the tunes are from the late 1970s), plays a role in a younger fan like yourself thinking less of him?

Kurt Cobain's reputation is not based on his guitar player. But yes, it could be argued he is among the greats, overall.

But while nostalgia probably plays a role in my view of Eddie, don't you think the fact that he's still alive, but has been relatively quiet since 1995 (A Different Kind of Truth is actually an enjoyable album, but most of the tunes are from the late 1970s), plays a role in a younger fan like yourself thinking less of him?

hendrix has been quiet since '70 and I was jerking the guy off earlier in the thread. :)

I think EVH was/is a killer guitarist. he's just not the greatest. or he's not my favorite since that's what we mean.

I like stephen king a lot, he's definitely influential on horror and he's made his mark on pop culture for sure (same as EVH's mark on basically one genre). wouldn't call him the greatest or most influential author.

I know that it can be argued, that's why I'm responding to these posts with a different opinion. one person posts one opinion, the next person posts another. the way of the message board. it goes without saying that no one's really trying to convince the other person that his opinion is wrong, we're just talking here.

He might not be my favorite either. Iommi maybe. But my earlier point was that more guitarists tried to be Van Halen than any other guitarist, at least from my vantage point. Which, admittedly, is largely from the "Woo hoo, let's cruise around town drinking Bud Light" era. :)

• Like 1

Kurt Cobain's reputation is not based on his guitar player. But yes, it could be argued he is among the greats, overall.

true, I guess I'm focusing too much on what I feel is the "bigger picture" and not just influence on guitar-playing. when it comes to playing alone, of course EVH beats cobain. but there are more guitarists today who sound like cobain than there are who sound like van halen. not sure what that means - could just be that cobain's easier to copy and you're more likely to make money copying him in 2015.

hendrix has been quiet since '70 and I was jerking the guy off earlier in the thread. :)

I think EVH was/is a killer guitarist. he's just not the greatest. or he's not my favorite since that's what we mean.

I like stephen king a lot, he's definitely influential on horror and he's made his mark on pop culture for sure (same as EVH's mark on basically one genre). wouldn't call him the greatest or most influential author.

I actually think Hendrix dying maybe did more to make his legacy explode than any of the albums he released during his lifetime.

Funny that you mention King. I've said in other threads here that I actually do think he's the greatest author of all time. No other author makes me feel like I'm watching a story unfold, as opposed to reading a book, the way he does.

true, I guess I'm focusing too much on what I feel is the "bigger picture" and not just influence on guitar-playing. when it comes to playing alone, of course EVH beats cobain. but there are more guitarists today who sound like cobain than there are who sound like van halen. not sure what that means - could just be that cobain's easier to copy and you're more likely to make money copying him in 2015.

I would argue that Cobain deserves to be in that discussion. Ironically, unless someone thinks that you have to be Steve Vai or Yngwie Malmsteen to be considered great (I think both of those guys are actually on balance terrible, particularly Malmsteen) then Cobain's sound and feel were uniquely his, and pretty influential.

Hendrix had pretty much ALL of his contemporaries envying his playing.

Get passed the techniques, but I think the main reason Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen are argued to be the greatest is that they composed great songs embellished by their innovatives on guitar playing.

He might not be my favorite either. Iommi maybe. But my earlier point was that more guitarists tried to be Van Halen than any other guitarist, at least from my vantage point. Which, admittedly, is largely from the "Woo hoo, let's cruise around town drinking Bud Light" era. :)

we can agree on iommi, he's probably my favorite of the "classic" dudes.

out of the modern music I listen to, iommi's easily the most ripped off, believe it or not. in the 80s, doesn't seem like anyone was really going for iommi's sound other than a few "obscure" bands (the doom metal genre). definitely more people going for van halen back then. one thing I like about 90s rock and beyond is that people aren't afraid to groove/slow things down anymore.

I actually think Hendrix dying maybe did more to make his legacy explode than any of the albums he released during his lifetime.

Funny that you mention King. I've said in other threads here that I actually do think he's the greatest author of all time. No other author makes me feel like I'm watching a story unfold, as opposed to reading a book, the way he does.

imagine if eddie van halen had died in 1985...you people would never shut up about him! :P

dying definitely helps any famous person, but people were already ripping off hendrix by the end of 67, or at least trying to. clapton, the undisputed "god" before hendrix, got pretty down in the dumps about his own ability after hearing hendrix, if the rumor I've heard is true. I actually think clapton's pretty boring unless you haven't heard music after cream...

as for king, I love his stories but there are authors who "move me" more, who say "greater things" to me, if that makes any sense.

• Like 1

I would argue that Cobain deserves to be in that discussion. Ironically, unless someone thinks that you have to be Steve Vai or Yngwie Malmsteen to be considered great (I think both of those guys are actually on balance terrible, particularly Malmsteen) then Cobain's sound and feel were uniquely his, and pretty influential.

well, cobain's sound and feel were definitely unique for all the obscure 80s punk rock bands he was influenced by. he definitely deserves credit for taking the inaccessible, mixing it with pop sensibility and turning the rock world upside down though. unlike many here, I've always liked nirvana and never saw them as a threat to rock n roll but more like a revitalizing juice or some shit.

malmsteen sucks dicks, yeah, and I'm not a fan of vai but he's really not the shitty shred guitarist he's made out to be. that's the role he unfortunately seem to play in roth's band and whitesnake, but he's a pretty diverse player. he joined zappa's band when he was 19 or 20, and zappa didn't tolerate shitty shred guitar.

Some rush fans may cringe at this, but Neil Peart and Eddie have a lot in common, in that they influenced a whole generation of players, right around the same period. Who was considered the top player in 1981 on guitar and drums? They are both rock gods who influenced so many players to practice their asses off. And also similar, you can find many players now throw out the " overrated " tag on both of them... Why is that? Cause they made dudes want to play better! And sure enough, 30 plus years later, the bar has been raised.

The pop culture aspect is another key that people tend to overlook. Better off dead, back to the future.. Countless other movies/ tv shows... He's on the list of legends