CA Album Battle 12: Clockwork Angels vs. Hold Your Fire

Segue Myles

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which is best?

Not even a contest if you ask me.

HYF, my equal first favourite alongside AFTK, vs. the barely outside my bottom five CA.

CA may win...but not for me.

HYF for the win!

In the midst of a string of votes for Clockwork Angels, from me, Hold Your Fire is the only no-contest win over CA that I can think of, after 1981.

HYF for the win!

Hear, hear!!

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

I think HYF is definitely an album that has a limited appeal...but those who love it really seem to nuts for it!

I think HYF is definitely an album that has a limited appeal...but those who love it really seem to nuts for it!

Its not limited...its selective.

HYF Is a sentimental favorite for me, being the Rush album to come out after I became a fan and also the first CD I ever bought. Open secrets and Lock and Key are two of my all time favorite songs. Pound for pound CA May be stronger overall but I havent enjoyed it as much overall as I have enjoyed HYF.

• Like 2

The elite 8 wins this one easy. Forget the last two. They suck and 8 songs is plenty. Good to excellent songs and a pleasure to the ears. 8 songs of that quality beats out about 6 to 7 that are tough to listen to. Simple as that... Love ya Halo Effect and The Garden
  • Like 1

CA. HYF has a few good songs, but overall it's a little too soft for my taste. Also IMO, this was the beginning of a 3-album slump when Rush sounded a little confused about who they were and where they wanted to go.

Tai shan i get but why all the High Water hate. Its a good damn song and easily better than 7/11ths of RTB.

High Water isn't better than any song on RTB, and probably isn't better than 7 songs in Rush's entire catalog. It is a boring, dreary, synth meander of outdated fake sounds. Yes it deserves to die and I hope it rots in hell!

• Like 1

Tai shan i get but why all the High Water hate. Its a good damn song and easily better than 7/11ths of RTB.

High Water isn't better than any song on RTB, and probably isn't better than 7 songs in Rush's entire catalog. It is a boring, dreary, synth meander of outdated fake sounds. Yes it deserves to die and I hope it rots in hell!

I disagree completely, but I did giggle at the rage!

• Like 1

HYF is a nice little synthy pop album with some nice little synthy songs. That just doesn't cut it. I will say, though, that merely have a collection of generally bland songs is an improvement of GuP and PoW, which are more offensively bad. So it is a step in the right direction to have an album that you can generally enjoy all the way through if you turn it off before the last song, which hadn't happened since MP.
  • Like 1

I realized that I was tapping into some rage, so I just went for Samuel L. Jackson. The other possible reaction would be: Ever since Signals we've been flooded with synths and albums full of weak sounding filler. I've had it with all these m***********ing synths on these m***********ing albums!!!

Samuel L is the best :D

• Like 2

I love Force Ten, Time Stand Still, Open Secrets, Prime Mover, and Turn the Page, but the rest isn't for me. Second Nature is near the top of my least favorite songs. CA wins from here on out.

When I was tuned out to Rush and music for all those years I thought Mission was my favorite from HYF but i had never heard the whole thing until about a year ago. Second Nature is now my favorite. Can't explain why but it just hits me in the right place...
  • Like 3

I realized that I was tapping into some rage, so I just went for Samuel L. Jackson. The other possible reaction would be: Ever since Signals we've been flooded with synths and albums full of weak sounding filler. I've had it with all these m***********ing synths on these m***********ing albums!!!

Samuel L is the best :D

Not to be picking gnat dookie out of pepper, here, but the proper word to use at the end of that Samuel L. quote is 'burn' in hell, rather than 'rot' in hell.

I did pick up on it, right from the get-go. ;)

And for the record, on the poll...I've talked about this before- there just seemed to be something magical going on among the three of them in the studio, in those early months of 1987. Hold Your Fire is indeed the best Rush album since Moving Pictures (though I don't have anything bad at all to say about those other three, in between- it's all strong stuff)...CA is also my favourite album since Hold Your Fire.

To borrow an earlier poster's analogy- Clockwork Angels is a nice, juicy steak. And its chefs are the absolute best, at what they do. But Hold Your Fire is comprised of all of the other good things I've ever tasted!

• Like 1

^ Mission is actually a locked in top 10 personal favorite song for me.

A great song too for sure. CA is a juicy steak cooked incorrectly... ;)
  • Like 2

:eyeroll: :LOL:

Gotta stick to your guns, I know...

:eyeroll: :LOL:

Gotta stick to your guns, I know...

I'll quit...