Geddy got ripped off?

andreww

A reporter at the Yukon Blade Grinder is reporting Geddy once bought an autographed baseball by Ty Cobb that was apparently a fake that was actually signed by a waiter at the Ritz Carlton.

Wayne Gretzky bought that!

I'm sure that after this debacle Ged is seriously wondering about some of his baseball memorabilia.

Well, he should. The baseball market is overloaded with fakes. The one collection he had that was most certainly legit is the one he actually gave away (the Negro Leagues signed balls). The reason is simple: The market for Negro League signatures is narrow. Unless you are talking about Josh Gibson, there are very few collectors looking for Negro League autographs.

And, really, in the baseball world, signatures that really mean something (meaning prior to the explosion of the memorabilia market and the demand for verification) are very hard to validate. I have a ball signed by five key members of the 1982 Cardinals' World Series team (Hernandez, Sutter, Porter, O. Smith, and McGee). I know it is authentic because I was standing next to all five men as they signed it in a True Value Hardware store in late 1982. I have no way of validating it, but I don't care. I also have a ball signed by John "Mule" Miles of the Negro Leagues. I know it was signed by him because I was standing on his porch with him when he signed it. Both balls are legit. Neither can be confirmed. Regardless, I place tremendous personal value on both of those items. If, in 50 years, a descendent tries to sell them to Chum's intellectually inept son on Pawn Stars, they won't get very far because of the validation issues. However, I am certain I will come back and mercilessly haunt said descendent.

PS Caveat Emptor. It doesn't matter how much money you make, you can still be a sucker.

I don't think I've ever been prouder of being a Rush fan than when I saw the Geddy Lee collection he donated to the Negro League Hall of Fame.

It's pretty awesome, isn't it? Even has his name in the museum. It's a separate section on their wiki.

We went there when I took my son to the KC show at the end of the CA Tour. I'm not sure how much that collection would be worth on the open market, but it's got to be a pretty penny. I assume it's the best of its kind.

Geddy plays guitar boys and girls. Look at what's on his double neck....

I wasn't saying that in the sense of the fact that it was a guitar, but more so the fact that it was a Les Paul. It was too esoteric of a joke, I guess. :)

A RUSH joke can never be too esoteric!

It can be if no one gets it. :LOL:

Use my standard. As long as the author laughs, it's funny.
  • Like 2

Yes, glad Geddy was able to get out of that deal. I just hope he never buys anything previously owned by Joe Perry! Joe Perry sold a favorite Les Paul when he was low on money, Slash ended up with it a few people later, and in his book Joe Perry admits he hounded Slash for 30 years to give it back. Slash finally caved, probably tired of the nagging . . . . I like Joe Perry's playing but this story always bugs me! http://www.guitarpla...-les-paul/48100

It was actually quite a touching story. Slash was a big Aerosmith fan growing up, probably the main reason he bought the guitar in the first place. He also had his own history with the guitar, having used it in videos like November Rain. Perry never hounded him about it, he asked a couple of times but didn't want to seem pushy. Slash knew that the guitar needed to go back to Joe, just like he knows the Les Paul replica he used on Appetite for Destruction must always stay with him. Guitarists are like that. We all have one guitar that is are mistress. Sometimes we lose them and spend a lifetime trying to get them back.

I just wonder if Joe paid Slash for it?

No, Slash gave it to Joe Perry free and clear as a surprise 50th birthday gift. It's a gorgeous tobacco Burst '59 Les Paul that Perry got in 1976, there was a rumor that Duane Allman owned it for awhile but his was a cherry Burst.

On another note, does anyone else wonder what will happen to Paul McCartney's Hofner bass when the inevitable happens? Will it stay in his family, do you think?

A reporter at the Yukon Blade Grinder is reporting Geddy once bought an autographed baseball by Ty Cobb that was apparently a fake that was actually signed by a waiter at the Ritz Carlton.

I'm sure that after this debacle Ged is seriously wondering about some of his baseball memorabilia.

Well, he should. The baseball market is overloaded with fakes. The one collection he had that was most certainly legit is the one he actually gave away (the Negro Leagues signed balls). The reason is simple: The market for Negro League signatures is narrow. Unless you are talking about Josh Gibson, there are very few collectors looking for Negro League autographs.

And, really, in the baseball world, signatures that really mean something (meaning prior to the explosion of the memorabilia market and the demand for verification) are very hard to validate. I have a ball signed by five key members of the 1982 Cardinals' World Series team (Hernandez, Sutter, Porter, O. Smith, and McGee). I know it is authentic because I was standing next to all five men as they signed it in a True Value Hardware store in late 1982. I have no way of validating it, but I don't care. I also have a ball signed by John "Mule" Miles of the Negro Leagues. I know it was signed by him because I was standing on his porch with him when he signed it. Both balls are legit. Neither can be confirmed. Regardless, I place tremendous personal value on both of those items. If, in 50 years, a descendent tries to sell them to Chum's intellectually inept son on Pawn Stars, they won't get very far because of the validation issues. However, I am certain I will come back and mercilessly haunt said descendent.

PS Caveat Emptor. It doesn't matter how much money you make, you can still be a sucker.

I don't think I've ever been prouder of being a Rush fan than when I saw the Geddy Lee collection he donated to the Negro League Hall of Fame.

It's pretty awesome, isn't it? Even has his name in the museum. It's a separate section on their wiki.

We went there when I took my son to the KC show at the end of the CA Tour. I'm not sure how much that collection would be worth on the open market, but it's got to be a pretty penny. I assume it's the best of its kind.

If I remember the story correctly (and I admit I might have some of it off), the collection was not gathered, but purchased at auction , by Geddy. He bought it with the intent of turning it around and giving it to the museum. But when it came time for the auction, it was sold it two lots. He tried to purchase both lots, but was doing so privately (as he knew the price would go up if word got out a fairly famous celebrity was trying to get the collection). He ended up only getting one of the two, but then contacted the buyer of the second lot to explain his goal and that buyer, thankfully, agreed to sell their lot at cost to complete the collection. That's a lot of work for a donation. Not that Ged needs to worry about the cost, but the time and energy mean something. Dude cared about that collection...

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 2

Yes, glad Geddy was able to get out of that deal. I just hope he never buys anything previously owned by Joe Perry! Joe Perry sold a favorite Les Paul when he was low on money, Slash ended up with it a few people later, and in his book Joe Perry admits he hounded Slash for 30 years to give it back. Slash finally caved, probably tired of the nagging . . . . I like Joe Perry's playing but this story always bugs me! http://www.guitarpla...-les-paul/48100

It was actually quite a touching story. Slash was a big Aerosmith fan growing up, probably the main reason he bought the guitar in the first place. He also had his own history with the guitar, having used it in videos like November Rain. Perry never hounded him about it, he asked a couple of times but didn't want to seem pushy. Slash knew that the guitar needed to go back to Joe, just like he knows the Les Paul replica he used on Appetite for Destruction must always stay with him. Guitarists are like that. We all have one guitar that is are mistress. Sometimes we lose them and spend a lifetime trying to get them back.

No, Slash gave it to Joe Perry free and clear as a surprise 50th birthday gift. It's a gorgeous tobacco Burst '59 Les Paul that Perry got in 1976, there was a rumor that Duane Allman owned it for awhile but his was a cherry Burst.

On another note, does anyone else wonder what will happen to Paul McCartney's Hofner bass when the inevitable happens? Will it stay in his family, do you think?

Knowing McCartney, he has willed the bass to Peta.

• Like 1

I wasn't saying that in the sense of the fact that it was a guitar, but more so the fact that it was a Les Paul. It was too esoteric of a joke, I guess. :)

Use my standard. As long as the author laughs, it's funny.

By this standard, I am the funniest man in the history of ever....

• Like 2

I got it.

• Like 1

If I remember the story correctly (and I admit I might have some of it off), the collection was not gathered, but purchased at auction , by Geddy. He bought it with the intent of turning it around and giving it to the museum. But when it came time for the auction, it was sold it two lots. He tried to purchase both lots, but was doing so privately (as he knew the price would go up if word got out a fairly famous celebrity was trying to get the collection). He ended up only getting one of the two, but then contacted the buyer of the second lot to explain his goal and that buyer, thankfully, agreed to sell their lot at cost to complete the collection. That's a lot of work for a donation. Not that Ged needs to worry about the cost, but the time and energy mean something. Dude cared about that collection...

That's a mensch, right there.

If anyone gets a chance to see this collection, it is in a building that has the jazz museum in it as well. I bet both are worth seeing (I have only seen the jazz museum).

• Like 1

ya, I know thats how the story goes but we are talking about a value of about a half million dollars. Slash and Joe were friends but I wouldn't classify them as pals. Seems like a pretty extravagant gift for a casual friend. I wonder if Slash worked out a deal with Joe's wife? But I imagine Slash probably paid about $50k for it max, so maybe he did just give it. Who knows.

What's "esoteric"?

I'm pretty sure Geddy plays (and collects) bass, unless I've been living a lie for my whole life...

Geddy does play guitar. But more than that, he's a collector, a serious collector at that. He's got one of the worlds most extensive collections of autographed baseballs, and an amazing collection of fine wines. I have it on good authority that he's been on a vintage guitar buying kick lately. My info on Ged buying the fake has been verified by Joe Bonomassa who has crew that are friendly with the Rush crew.

This also explains why I can't get any nosebleed tickets for less than $300 :D

• Like 1

What's "esoteric"?

Something to do with hemorrhoids, I think.