Neil's Drums....

Jaminbenb

Long story but back in my former life as a session musician, I had an artist deal with Tama drums. I had them make me a Starclassic Maple version of his Signals kit. 6" 8", 10", 12" Concert toms, 12", 13", 15" Racks, 18" Floor, 22" and 24" gong bass drums. (2) 14" x 24" bass drums, 13" and 14" wood Timbales, 5" x 14" Snare and a 18" bass drum for the "back forty" kit. I set it up maybe 2 times and sold it for more than I got it for.

Anyway, when I did set it up, from a distance I too thought the bass drums looked like 22"'s and they were definitely 24"'s. I'm pretty sure he's playing 24"'s in this kit and that 23" bass drum on the R40 kit is simply elevated and closer so it looks bigger.

I'm highly curious about 2 things. 1) Why did he go for that 8" x 20" frame gong drum. I'm really curious as to how that sounds. It's not like more depth would have taken up any important room on the kit. 2) Surprised that he went with standard LP Timbales. I would have thought DW would have made him some brass or steel shell timbales out of snare drum shells.

Hope we get some info and professional pics (front and driver's seat) before the tour is over.

He is trying to be as true to the black chrome set up as he can honestly be. Obviously he is contracted to DW for the main drums but the rest is as close to his original set up as he can get, the shallow gong bass drum was probably chosen for it non domineering look.

I´m not sure how much a kit like that would cost...but it´s highly customized. From a business perspective, is it worth building two kits like that for just 32 shows?

DW will use this kit for promo work after the tour, make no mistake this kit will be a shrude investment for the DW brand!

Or someone can buy one of the hundred kits made from the oak tree.

• Like 1

I'm real happy the 6 inch (ahem), is back. Listening to the bootleg of the tusla show, mr Peart's kit sounds fantastic, even with the bad audio.

One thing i never understood, was the decision on just having one bass drum. I endorse dave lombardo's view on double bass, that is

when there are two bass drums, (as oppose one with two beaters) the drums have time to breathe; pulse. Its understood mr Peart does not often play, or reach the speeds of Lombardo, the pulse or chance to breathe, I would of still thought would be an important element to consider with 2 bass drums.

Also thought Mr Lifeson's tone, was just in the 'zone' on the older stuff, then noticed on the vids, he is using marshalls?

Sounded so good - just right, though some of the playing was, lets say...... loose.

I'm real happy the 6 inch (ahem), is back. Listening to the bootleg of the tusla show, mr Peart's kit sounds fantastic, even with the bad audio.

One thing i never understood, was the decision on just having one bass drum. I endorse dave lombardo's view on double bass, that is

when there are two bass drums, (as oppose one with two beaters) the drums have time to breathe; pulse. Its understood mr Peart does not often play, or reach the speeds of Lombardo, the pulse or chance to breathe, I would of still thought would be an important element to consider with 2 bass drums.

Also thought Mr Lifeson's tone, was just in the 'zone' on the older stuff, then noticed on the vids, he is using marshalls?

Sounded so good - just right, though some of the playing was, lets say...... loose.

I believe what eventually happened with Neil is that he wanted to become a Jazz (Big Band) drummer so he slowly started to make his kit smaller, eventually looking more and more like the Buddy Rich he admired. This approach (started in 1991) really took away from the rock drummer we once knew IMO.

I believe what eventually happened with Neil is that he wanted to become a Jazz (Big Band) drummer so he slowly started to make his kit smaller, eventually looking more and more like the Buddy Rich he admired. This approach (started in 1991) really took away from the rock drummer we once knew IMO.

Thats what I find so perplexing. That part of this change involved the quest for pulse, a small part of that being removed, with the single bass drum - imo

Not sure he was into the whole jazz thing (Freddy) yet...but he started messing with his kit on the Hold Your Fire tour (losing the concert toms for closed toms) then moved everything around on the RtB and Counterparts tour...then did the MAJOR renovation for Test for Echo...

A lot of sound guys I know (well knew...been away from it for a while) prefer the double pedal single drum thing than the two bass drums for various reasons.. In fact.. one guy I used to hang with years back (who did some serious sound work) talked a guy who had two drums to KEEP both drums, but use a double pedal so they could keep the sound a little more cohesive...he just wanted to use one less mic (and have it sitting open for no reason when he WASN'T playing both drums)

Even with the "no leg" high hat stands, x-hats, etc. snare and tom placement is much easier with one kick rather than 2. As already mentioned, Neil doesn't play double bass often so 2 is mostly for show.

The TFE kit was based upon his first kit which was a 4 piece red sparkle job. The Work In Progress video covers this. The set up stems from that with the single tom on the bass drum, which allowed him to move the ride cymbal.

Even with the "no leg" high hat stands, x-hats, etc. snare and tom placement is much easier with one kick rather than 2. As already mentioned, Neil doesn't play double bass often so 2 is mostly for show.

he does a shit ton more double bass work (not like metal heads constant double bass blasts) compared to when he actually had two bass drums.

I still can't believe I am watching these YouTube videos of Neil with this "Throwback" kit with the Tubular Bells. I have been waiting decades for this and thinking it would never happen. Also, i love how clear the Tubular bells come across instead of him using samples. I can't wait for Boston!
  • Like 3

I still can't believe I am watching these YouTube videos of Neil with this "Throwback" kit with the Tubular Bells. I have been waiting decades for this and thinking it would never happen. Also, i love how clear the Tubular bells come across instead of him using samples. I can't wait for Boston!

Yeah I can't believe it either. I never thought I'd see it happen. SO glad it IS happening though. Seems like a perfect circle.

• Like 2

As a few people have commented on here, there are a number reasons why he went to the single bass (way back on RTB, like 23 years ago now!).

• Makes it much easier to move parts of the kit around, like the high-hat, to more comfortable positions.
  • Double pedals had finally gotten to the point of being just as good as having two bass drums. (While I HATE the sound of DW drums, the 5000 and 9000 double pedals are amazing. I own a set of 5000s.)
  • Easier to mic both in a studio and live setting. Obviously one bass drum is easier to mic and level. Plus you lose the other big booming chamber (paraphrased from Neil) that can cause mic bleed, etc.
  • No need to spend time laboring to tune a second bass drum to the exact pitch as the primary.

I'd love to see a close-up from behind the kit. I'm wondering if the second bass is actually for show, and he's still using the DW 9000 double pedal behind there. Has anyone been able to ascertain from the video feeds?

It's probably a size issue for the huge "SURROUND SOUND DRUMS"- he likes to encapsulate himself in.

As a few people have commented on here, there are a number reasons why he went to the single bass (way back on RTB, like 23 years ago now!).

• Makes it much easier to move parts of the kit around, like the high-hat, to more comfortable positions.
  • Double pedals had finally gotten to the point of being just as good as having two bass drums. (While I HATE the sound of DW drums, the 5000 and 9000 double pedals are amazing. I own a set of 5000s.)
  • Easier to mic both in a studio and live setting. Obviously one bass drum is easier to mic and level. Plus you lose the other big booming chamber (paraphrased from Neil) that can cause mic bleed, etc.
  • No need to spend time laboring to tune a second bass drum to the exact pitch as the primary.

I'd love to see a close-up from behind the kit. I'm wondering if the second bass is actually for show, and he's still using the DW 9000 double pedal behind there. Has anyone been able to ascertain from the video feeds?

Those reasons you give for the change to single bass drum, I remember all those years ago, and saw it as a rational logical move.

However, as I have become increasingly aware of sonics over the years, and listening to dave Lombardos opinion on double bass drum, has made me wonder on the transition. As Dave lomabardo points out, having a double bass drum gives the skins time to breathe or resonate; more of a pulse if you will. Mr Lombardo points out, having a single bass drum, this element is cut off. A small difference thats hardly noticable, probably, but considering mr pearts search for more of a pulse (amongst other things) it made me wonder.

I am just really pleased he had given this kit a go again. :haz:

• Like 1

Those reasons you give for the change to single bass drum, I remember all those years ago, and saw it as a rational logical move.

However, as I have become increasingly aware of sonics over the years, and listening to dave Lombardos opinion on double bass drum, has made me wonder on the transition. As Dave lomabardo points out, having a double bass drum gives the skins time to breathe or resonate; more of a pulse if you will. Mr Lombardo points out, having a single bass drum, this element is cut off. A small difference thats hardly noticable, probably, but considering mr pearts search for more of a pulse (amongst other things) it made me wonder.

I am just really pleased he had given this kit a go again. :haz:

I think the thing with Lombardo is he uses the double bass much more within the context of the song, a lot more that Neil does. Neil uses it mostly for some flam flourishes or big endings. There are not a lot of Rush songs where he's using the double bass for extended amounts of time, so I don't think those issues are as apparent for Neil.

I agree, it's great nostalgia to see him behind that kind of kit again. :)

Neil switched to a single kick kit on Roll The Bones. From the Rtb tourbook:

"Also I wanted to try using a single bass drum, with two pedals―to eliminate a big resonating chamber (the other bass drum) which I hardly ever used. I also decided to try a different size: 22" rather than 24".

Although it was not his original intention for going to one kick - I think a big reason in later years was his ride placement. Starting with his "Reinvention" under Freddy Gruber before Test For Echo was made - and detailed in "A work in progress" he completely altered his setup to suit his new approach (which at the time included traditional grip.) His focus shifted to the time keeping instruments - kick/snare/hat/ride. The setup is certainly more in the jazz tradition. His recent ride placement is almost half over the kick drum - and while it would be possible to keep double kick and just shift all the toms over to accommodate the ride, as others have pointed out, Neil was not playing extensive double kick and it was pointless to make the core setup more difficult to keep the unnecessary kick..

Personally, I have gone from playing a double kick to a single kick (with a DW9002 pedal! & It's a hell of alot easier to transport just one kick drum to gigs!!) and I have also moved my ride in. For me, it's alot more comfortable and natural to have the ride close in over the kick drum. I occasionally experiment and try moving the ride way out to the side and find it very uncomfortable. I'd be curious to know what Neil would say about it.

• Like 1

Same here on the ride. Once you get used to it being right over the kick, it's hard to go back to "hard right" or up high.

I used to keep mine low and over the floor tom, but had to change when I got into high school and had to share a kit in jazz band, and the upper classman dude that was also in it had "first preference" So I adapted, and ended up liking it..I tried moving the toms over and dropping the height a little bit, but never really got it that comfortable...you do what you do, I guess...

When I watch video of Neil playing his "Gruber" set up, he looks uncomfortable playing his hi hat and toms...just looks a little awkward from where I sit...

Neil switched to a single kick kit on Roll The Bones. From the Rtb tourbook:

"Also I wanted to try using a single bass drum, with two pedals―to eliminate a big resonating chamber (the other bass drum) which I hardly ever used. I also decided to try a different size: 22" rather than 24".

Although it was not his original intention for going to one kick - I think a big reason in later years was his ride placement. Starting with his "Reinvention" under Freddy Gruber before Test For Echo was made - and detailed in "A work in progress" he completely altered his setup to suit his new approach (which at the time included traditional grip.) His focus shifted to the time keeping instruments - kick/snare/hat/ride. The setup is certainly more in the jazz tradition. His recent ride placement is almost half over the kick drum - and while it would be possible to keep double kick and just shift all the toms over to accommodate the ride, as others have pointed out, Neil was not playing extensive double kick and it was pointless to make the core setup more difficult to keep the unnecessary kick..

Personally, I have gone from playing a double kick to a single kick (with a DW9002 pedal! & It's a hell of alot easier to transport just one kick drum to gigs!!) and I have also moved my ride in. For me, it's alot more comfortable and natural to have the ride close in over the kick drum. I occasionally experiment and try moving the ride way out to the side and find it very uncomfortable. I'd be curious to know what Neil would say about it.

My immediate thought seeing Mr Peart play in the old position was(ride way over on his right), are the subtle ways, or all he has learnt under Gruber possible in this position, still. How is it, is the same expression attainable or harder in this physical place. ? Flipping back and forth, with the two positions, may be a stark exposure of how it is. Fascinating.

It would be really interesting, to hear Neil talk about this.

• Like 1