The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

So after a few listens i can tell you the Astonishing is indeed a great album.......but it will Surly be a mood album.

I most likly won't be spinning it on a whim.

i will have to be in the right mindset.

Mick

At this moment, I have to be honest: I am finding it hard to find anything original about this album, or, indeed, anything about this album they haven't already done better before.

Vocals are great, probably the best since Octavarium.

However, Scenes was powerful. From start to finish, it was a wonder of a record. And the climax was thrilling, and devastating. Having finally finished The Astonishing, I thought it ended in a really poor way. Barely even a whimper.

Sure, there is a lot of orchestra. But it feels like it is there for the sake of being there. I thought the self titled achieved for more with this style. Song wise, I get that each song is essentially a chapter, a puzzle piece. But not one single song stood out to me. In fact, I found a huge number of moments throughout the album where I could almost hum along to one of the older songs, and it would fit. Sadly I am not familiar enough with the band right now to point out which track and which last song, but its lack of originality and individuality is a big disappointment.

The entire album seems to go at the exact same pace. Never do I know when a song is over and a new one begins, and whilst one could argue that this is acceptable as a story is being told, I cannot say that this is a plus for me. Both Metropolis Pt. 2 and Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence had powerful individual tracks that I can enjoy away from the whole.

Musicianship wise, this is obviously beautifully played. But whilst at first I liked the lack of flashy solos and twiddly, complicated arrangements, over the course of the entire album, I felt quite bored by it.

This is a good Dream Theater album. It isn't a disaster, it may in time grow on me. But Ayreon has released a lot of conceptual rock operas that have proved far more successful. I found a lot of the time spent listening to this very much left me wanting to play one of those, which isn't a great sign as I am not a big Ayreon fan.

The Astonishing does not live up to its name. But I cannot say I do not like it.

Hopefully it will grow on me, but over all, I am finding as I get to grips with Dream Theater, I find myself longing for a less sterile production. I think Dream Theater have the cleanest, most texture free albums out there today. Bands like Threshold, Nightwish, Mastodon and Opeth create big albums you can fall into. With Dream Theater, I genuinely feel like on record, it is too clean, over produced and the worst aspect is the drums. They stand out so much, but in the sense that they almost sound like they are from another record. It all feels too calculated.

Dream Theater are easily a great band. But I neither feel convinced they are great prog, or great metal. They just do good with what they have, which is breathtaking talent.

But something is missing. I love them, a lot now, but I still feel that a certain X factor is lacking.

The Astonishing gets 7/10

I hope it gets better, after all, it isn't abnormal for me not to be blown away the first time I play a DT record now, is it?

you know what i would have done......as much as i love the record. i would have released it in 2 volumes. much less of a big pill to swalloe.

feel it might have worked better.

The complaints about them being sterle......no offence are so played out.

i just think that's their thing, lol

ad they know it.

Mick

So after a few listens i can tell you the Astonishing is indeed a great album.......but it will Surly be a mood album.

I most likly won't be spinning it on a whim.

i will have to be in the right mindset.

Mick

At this moment, I have to be honest: I am finding it hard to find anything original about this album, or, indeed, anything about this album they haven't already done better before.

Vocals are great, probably the best since Octavarium.

However, Scenes was powerful. From start to finish, it was a wonder of a record. And the climax was thrilling, and devastating. Having finally finished The Astonishing, I thought it ended in a really poor way. Barely even a whimper.

Sure, there is a lot of orchestra. But it feels like it is there for the sake of being there. I thought the self titled achieved for more with this style. Song wise, I get that each song is essentially a chapter, a puzzle piece. But not one single song stood out to me. In fact, I found a huge number of moments throughout the album where I could almost hum along to one of the older songs, and it would fit. Sadly I am not familiar enough with the band right now to point out which track and which last song, but its lack of originality and individuality is a big disappointment.

The entire album seems to go at the exact same pace. Never do I know when a song is over and a new one begins, and whilst one could argue that this is acceptable as a story is being told, I cannot say that this is a plus for me. Both Metropolis Pt. 2 and Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence had powerful individual tracks that I can enjoy away from the whole.

Musicianship wise, this is obviously beautifully played. But whilst at first I liked the lack of flashy solos and twiddly, complicated arrangements, over the course of the entire album, I felt quite bored by it.

This is a good Dream Theater album. It isn't a disaster, it may in time grow on me. But Ayreon has released a lot of conceptual rock operas that have proved far more successful. I found a lot of the time spent listening to this very much left me wanting to play one of those, which isn't a great sign as I am not a big Ayreon fan.

The Astonishing does not live up to its name. But I cannot say I do not like it.

Hopefully it will grow on me, but over all, I am finding as I get to grips with Dream Theater, I find myself longing for a less sterile production. I think Dream Theater have the cleanest, most texture free albums out there today. Bands like Threshold, Nightwish, Mastodon and Opeth create big albums you can fall into. With Dream Theater, I genuinely feel like on record, it is too clean, over produced and the worst aspect is the drums. They stand out so much, but in the sense that they almost sound like they are from another record. It all feels too calculated.

Dream Theater are easily a great band. But I neither feel convinced they are great prog, or great metal. They just do good with what they have, which is breathtaking talent.

But something is missing. I love them, a lot now, but I still feel that a certain X factor is lacking.

The Astonishing gets 7/10

I hope it gets better, after all, it isn't abnormal for me not to be blown away the first time I play a DT record now, is it?

you know what i would have done......as much as i love the record. i would have released it in 2 volumes. much less of a big pill to swalloe.

feel it might have worked better.

The complaints about them being sterle......no offence are so played out.

i just think that's their thing, lol

ad they know it.

Mick

I

It might be there thing, and it might be played out, but as a new fan, its disappointing tona certain extent.

They are consistent, and they release really fun music.

• Like 1

In other News.

Hair Metal Bon Jovi works now.

All except 7800 Fahrenheit.

i really dislike that one.

Sophomore slump.

Mick

The second is one of my very favourites, but a lot agree with you. They started to shake things up properly on Slippery When Wet!

What is your verdict on New Jersey?

Wild Is The Wind is close to being my favourite song of theirs.

• Like 1

In other News.

Sophomore slump.

Mick

The second is one of my very favourites, but a lot agree with you. They started to shake things up properly on Slippery When Wet!

just finished now acttually.....hadn't played it in a while.

Got to Say......New Jersey is my fav of the original 4

Fantastic Stuff.

my rankings of original Jovi

1. New Jersey

2. Slippery When Wet

3. Bon Jovi

4. 7800 Fahrenheit.

Mick

• Like 1

In other News.

Sophomore slump.

Mick

Fantastic Stuff.

1. New Jersey

2. Slippery When Wet

3. Bon Jovi

4. 7800 Fahrenheit.

Mick

I would probably agree with that! All are in my top six, alongside Keep The Faith and These Days.

Glad they clicked for you! They don't really sound hair metal to me. I hear the stadium ready anthems, and the occasional cockiness. But that's more the era than they themselves.

Playing 7800° Fahrenheit. Huge fan of this record!

• Like 1

In other News.

Sophomore slump.

Mick

Fantastic Stuff.

1. New Jersey

2. Slippery When Wet

3. Bon Jovi

4. 7800 Fahrenheit.

Mick

I would probably agree with that! All are in my top six, alongside Keep The Faith and These Days.

Glad they clicked for you! They don't really sound hair metal to me. I hear the stadium ready anthems, and the occasional cockiness. But that's more the era than they themselves.

i'll try Fahrenheit again at some point.

And i have Keep the Faith on now. Aside from a couple of tracks..........Really great. Nice continuation of the new Direction they hinted at on New jersey.

Only got better on These Days though.

Mick

• Like 1

In other News.

Sophomore slump.

Mick

Fantastic Stuff.

1. New Jersey

2. Slippery When Wet

3. Bon Jovi

4. 7800 Fahrenheit.

Mick

And i have Keep the Faith on now. Aside from a couple of tracks..........Really great. Nice continuation of the new Direction they hinted at on New jersey.

Mick

Keep The Faith and These Days are easily my two favourite albums of theirs!

Please try Bon Jovi's solo album Blaze Of Glory! Terrific album, after New Jersey, before Keep the Faith. Excellent!!

• Like 1

In other News.

Sophomore slump.

Mick

Fantastic Stuff.

1. New Jersey

2. Slippery When Wet

3. Bon Jovi

4. 7800 Fahrenheit.

Mick

Mick

Please try Bon Jovi's solo album Blaze Of Glory! Terrific album, after New Jersey, before Keep the Faith. Excellent!!

Will do........i also wanna buy that boxset of b-sides and stuff.

Something about fans can't be wrong.

Mick

• Like 1

In other News.

Sophomore slump.

Mick

Fantastic Stuff.

1. New Jersey

2. Slippery When Wet

3. Bon Jovi

4. 7800 Fahrenheit.

Mick

Mick

Will do........i also wanna buy that boxset of b-sides and stuff.

Something about fans can't be wrong.

Mick

OH MY WORD MICK THAT BOX SET IS FRIGGIN GLORIOUS!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I could cry.

You gave me DT, I gave you B...on Jovi...

Great swap!

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Well i just bought a DVD so one thing at a time.

Segue you need to buy jovi live at Madison Square Garden........what a show.

best part of the night didn't even involve jon.

Richie took the stage to Sing i'll be There for you..........knocked it clear out of the park.

Mick

• Like 1

I could weep.

And yes I will! Also, check out YouTube...lots of great bootleg concerts. I will notify you of one great one on Google chat in a bit

• Like 1

Always Run To You is a great song!

Doesn't surprise me the second album hasn't grown on you. Just glad you like the other three!

• Like 1

Doesn't surprise me the second album hasn't grown on you. Just glad you like the other three!

i'm sure it will.

just after the Debut it was like the air going out of a tire a little.

Give it time, lol

Mick

• Like 1

i'm sure it will.

just after the Debut it was like the air going out of a tire a little.

Give it time, lol

Mick

I FORGOT ABOUT SECRET DREAMS!

I like them about the same haha...

• Like 1

I really enjoy modern Jovi as well! Not a bad record.

I think you are more familiar with it than I am now hahahaha!

I have to say, hair metal is not for me. But Dokken and Ratt are superb, fun and really riff-a-licious!

• Like 1

I really enjoy modern Jovi as well! Not a bad record.

I think you are more familiar with it than I am now hahahaha!

I have to say, hair metal is not for me. But Dokken and Ratt are superb, fun and really riff-a-licious!

Hey listen......i agree bon jovi was never full hair Metal (maybe the debut was, lol) I file them there because........image.

i know you hate that....,but my brain does it, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Full rankings

1. Have a Nice Day (I know i know......number 1??????....yes......god yes......love this!!!!!)

2. These Days

3. New Jersey

4. Crush

5. What About Now

6. Burning Bridges

7. Lost Highway

8. Slippery When Wet

9. The Circle

10. Keep the Faith

11. Bon Jovi

12. Bounce

13. 7800 Fahrenheit

Mick

• Like 1

Full rankings

1. Have a Nice Day (I know i know......number 1??????....yes......god yes......love this!!!!!)

2. These Days

3. New Jersey

4. Crush

5. What About Now

6. Burning Bridges

7. Lost Highway

8. Slippery When Wet

9. The Circle

10. Keep the Faith

11. Bon Jovi

12. Bounce

13. 7800 Fahrenheit

Mick

Played Have A Nice Day maybe...twice?!

• Like 1

Full rankings

2. These Days

3. New Jersey

4. Crush

5. What About Now

6. Burning Bridges

7. Lost Highway

8. Slippery When Wet

9. The Circle

10. Keep the Faith

11. Bon Jovi

12. Bounce

13. 7800 Fahrenheit

Mick

Played Have A Nice Day maybe...twice?!

play again........great meterial there. one of few bon jovi records that i skip no tracks.

as good as they are.....most Jovi records have at least 1 skip-able song.

Although the last 2 don't, lol

breaking the habit maybe, lol

Mick

Dude...Shania Twain is easily my favourite pop star of all time. Although I only listen too the country versions of her albums.

In love with the woman. I WANT A NEW ALBUM!!

Taylor Swift whodat?

*pukes at the mention of Bon Jovi*

Finally getting around to listening to Awake. I just hope it's better than Falling Into Infinity. That was some garbage.

EDIT: Nevermind, have to listen to ACOS first.

Edited by BowlCity