The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

Can i say. in Re-listening to DT.......Portnoy. i still think he's an arrogant ass. but the dude did phenominal work in that band. and he cared so deeply for DT and you could feel it.

Mick

I wasn't there when he was a jerk. And I don't care. All I know is I love nearly everything he did with the band, but at the same time I completely hear the rejuvenated band vibe on A Dramatic Turn Of Events. So, without knowing the details I still sense the improved vibe from one era To The next.

But I don't want to know the details, because learning more about Dennis DeYoung really affected my enthusiasm for Styx, and I do not want to repeat that!

• Like 1

Sacrificed Sons is playing again...the only thing stopping me from playing it on repeat is the knowledge of what comes next!
  • Like 1

Can i say. in Re-listening to DT.......Portnoy. i still think he's an arrogant ass. but the dude did phenominal work in that band. and he cared so deeply for DT and you could feel it.

Mick

I wasn't there when he was a jerk. And I don't care. All I know is I love nearly everything he did with the band, but at the same time I completely hear the rejuvenated band vibe on A Dramatic Turn Of Events. So, without knowing the details I still sense the improved vibe from one era To The next.

But I don't want to know the details, because learning more about Dennis DeYoung really affected my enthusiasm for Styx, and I do not want to repeat that!

it doesn't dimish my enjoyment but i just learned to stay away from Portnoy interviews, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

it doesn't dimish my enjoyment but i just learned to stay away from Portnoy interviews, lol

Mick

Yeah...

Still cannot believe that Octavarium is hailed as a modern prog masterpiece. Sorry guys...but it is better than King Crimson.

Yup. Said it. So there.

• Like 1

Sacrificed Sons is playing again...the only thing stopping me from playing it on repeat is the knowledge of what comes next!

i'm surprised you gravated towards that one........but it is great.

Great on Score too.

Mick

• Like 1

i'm surprised you gravated towards that one........but it is great.

Great on Score too.

Mick

Sacrificed Sons was my first favourite DT song, and revisiting it it still rates higher than high! But These Walls is a smidge better, in my opinion.

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

Yeah...

Still cannot believe that Octavarium is hailed as a modern prog masterpiece. Sorry guys...but it is better than King Crimson.

Yup. Said it. So there.

oh i can go better.

i prefer it to 2112, Hemispheres and MP combined.

i do.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Title track just started!

What a beast. Better than Xanadu? Erm...

...I shall go change my vote.

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

Yeah...

Yup. Said it. So there.

oh i can go better.

i prefer it to 2112, Hemispheres and MP combined.

i do.

Mick

For me, right now...all those plus Hold Your Fire and Vapor Trails. Because I like to be moved emotionally.

And Sacrificed Sons does just that more than any single Rush song.

Just because you can hear the influences does not mean they are inferior. Far from it!

• Like 1

it is.

I don't know why Xanadu is considered an epic when at 11 mins it's fairly straightforward. Octavarium goes all over. it's sprawling.

I love Xanadu too, BTW

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

it is.

I don't know why Xanadu is considered an epic when at 11 mins it's fairly straightforward. Octavarium goes all over. it's sprawling.

I love Xanadu too, BTW

Mick

Well DT and Nightwish have each released sidelong epics I like more than anything by Rush, and as great as Yes. Nightwish have The Greatest Show On Earth, and shorter, superior to Xanadu tracks like The Poet And The Pendulum, Song Of Myself, Beauty Of The Beast, Ghost Love Score and others, whilst Dream Theater has Octavarium and The Count Of Tuscany, and plenty of others too.

I love Rush, I do. But they were my first encounter with prog, but definitely not my favourite as time goes on! But I find Rush a better rock band than prog.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

it is.

I love Xanadu too, BTW

Mick

Well DT and Nightwish have each released sidelong epics I like more than anything by Rush, and as great as Yes. Nightwish have The Greatest Show On Earth, whilst Dream Theater has Octavarium and The Count Of Tuscany.

I love Rush, I do. But they were my first encounter with prog, but definitely not my favourite as time goes on! But I find Rush a better rock band than prog.

heck they were a far better POP band, lol

Which is oh so funny to me.

Mick

• Like 1

it is.

I love Xanadu too, BTW

Mick

Well DT and Nightwish have each released sidelong epics I like more than anything by Rush, and as great as Yes. Nightwish have The Greatest Show On Earth, whilst Dream Theater has Octavarium and The Count Of Tuscany.

heck they were a far better POP band, lol

Which is oh so funny to me.

Mick

Agreed to a point...but for the most part my favourite hard rock Rush is still relegated to the shorter songs, like Bastille Day, Red Barchetta, A Farewell To Kings, Jacob's Ladder, Sweet Miracle etc.

• Like 1

I'm just hoping the new DT album lives up to the joy I am having with the older albums.

Better prog metal than Kings X, and as great as Mastodon for me.

• Like 1

I'm just hoping the new DT album lives up to the joy I am having with the older albums.

i hope you like Score......i see no reason why you shouldn't

Budokan too.

Mick

• Like 1

Budokan too.

Mick

I might just listen to score first as its on Spotify and me wants to hear it, even if I don't see it!

• Like 1

Budokan too.

Mick

I might just listen to score first as its on Spotify and me wants to hear it, even if I don't see it!

DO IT!!!!!!!

If you like it.......that's your cue for the DVD.

Mick

• Like 1

Just started it.

This'll be interesting for me, lol

Mick

Well I like The Root Of All Evil. Whoda thunk?!

• Like 1

Oh I thought The Root was As I Am for some dumb reason haha!
  • Like 1

That's why I come here and post things that I know would not be appreciated on the rest of the forum. It's a safe place. :)

we are your shelter Lorraine.

a happy place away from.........the noise, lol

With Cupcakes

and rainbows.

Mick

• Like 2