The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

I think CA is really good now, but it has a few failings for me. I find the songs very samey after a while, and sometimes it's a good thing but here...not so much. But I really like it in spots, and other times I love it!

Mick, I really like Falling Into Infinity, but I have to say I think I enjoy the demos even more! The demo of You Or Me is much better, and the less polished production really improves the quality of the songs! I now hear that "more commercial" slant the naysayers complain about. Whilst for me and you, that "shinier" sound actually sounds great for the album, I am glad the demos are an option.

The more the merrier! Much like Springsteen, I enjoy the demos without necessarily having the feeling they should replace the final product. But I love the demos!

• Like 1

To be fair i haven't heard the demos in ages. Shall whip them out.

Mick

I only want to hear the demos bootlegs. I read that many who were disappointed in the actual album came to love the bootleg, and truth be told, so do I! Peruvian Skies sounds great as well, but then again the album version is a masterful song by itself.

I also really loved the Metropolis 2 demo. What a wonderful display of showmanship!

Yeah, I want to buy these demo albums (including the Majesty demos ), but wow! So expensive!

• Like 2

Mick

I only want to hear the demos bootlegs. I read that many who were disappointed in the actual album came to love the bootleg, and truth be told, so do I! Peruvian Skies sounds great as well, but then again the album version is a masterful song by itself.

I also really loved the Metropolis 2 demo. What a wonderful display of showmanship!

Yeah, I want to buy these demo albums (including the Majesty demos ), but wow! So expensive!

one of the reasons i avoid demos.....my wallet, lol

But i do have for DT. FII Demos......images Demos......heres an interesting one for you......Train of Thought instrumental demos.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

But i do have for DT. FII Demos......images Demos......heres an interesting one for you......Train of Thought instrumental demos.

Mick

I saw the train of thought demos!

I am warming to the album. I hate Honor Thy Father, but you know my stand on f-bombs haha! But its OK! But it does lack that killer feeling inget from other albums. I think Black Clouds perfected the heavier side of DT.

I played Count Of Tuscany yesterday with the lyrics in front of me. I really love it! Almost theatrical, and the chorus...wowsers it floored me (first time I properly took notice of the chorus...my initial enthusiasm was for the music itself).

DT are just...wonderful! I really don't like Labries voice at times, but already its growing in me! And I now LOVE 6:00!!!

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

I am warming to the album. I hate Honor Thy Father, but you know my stand on f-bombs haha! But its OK! But it does lack that killer feeling inget from other albums. I think Black Clouds perfected the heavier side of DT.

I played Count Of Tuscany yesterday with the lyrics in front of me. I really love it! Almost theatrical, and the chorus...wowsers it floored me (first time I properly took notice of the chorus...my initial enthusiasm was for the music itself).

DT are just...wonderful! I really don't like Labries voice at times, but already its growing in me! And I now LOVE 6:00!!!

you know how your into the Count of Tuscany right now? that's me with In the Name of God........god that song amazes me.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

you know how your into the Count of Tuscany right now? that's me with In the Name of God........god that song amazes me.

Mick

OK, I will revisit the album.

I was pleased to see it wasn't on the main set list for Score so that gets me excited for my first DVD purchase!

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

Mick

I was pleased to see it wasn't on the main set list for Score so that gets me excited for my first DVD purchase!

you must do a review of Score on here! i'd love to read that.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

Mick

you must do a review of Score on here! i'd love to read that.

Mick

I am tight for money at the moment but its on my wish list!

I was thinking of my top 10 DT songs.........and it's hard.

so i'll just write some of my favs not an official list.

Octavarium

A Nightmare to Remember

Ministry of Lost Souls

Another Day

In the Name of God

Stream of Conciousness

Space dyed Vest

The Silent Man

Surrounded

Hollow Years

The Shattered Fortress

Beneath The Surface

The Looking Glass

Six Degrees of Inner Turrbulane (whole suite)

I could list more........DT......no joke......is sooooo close to being my fav band.

If the Astonishing is awesome......they may be.

Mick

• Like 1

So far:

Count Of Tuscany

A Rite Of Passage

These Walls

Sacrificed Sons

Octavarium

Pull Me Under

Peruvian Skies

Take Away My Pain

6:00

Caught In A Web

Misunderstood

• Like 1

So far:

Count Of Tuscany

A Rite Of Passage

These Walls

Sacrificed Sons

Octavarium

Pull Me Under

Peruvian Skies

Take Away My Pain

Caught In A Web

Misunderstood

6:00 from a guy who couldn't stand it? wowee

the power of DT!!!!!!!!

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

So far:

Count Of Tuscany

A Rite Of Passage

These Walls

Sacrificed Sons

Octavarium

Pull Me Under

Peruvian Skies

Take Away My Pain

Caught In A Web

Misunderstood

6:00 from a guy who couldn't stand it? wowee

the power of DT!!!!!!!!

Mick

It is such a weird song it grated on me for so long...then it eventually clicked and now I find it to be a really cleverly arranged song!

Rush had Spindrift, Lacuna Coil has both Angel's Punishment and Virtual Environment, whilst Nightwish has Ghost River and Scaretale...all of them took time to really "click" and now I love them all!

• Like 1

You not me is corny 90's alt pop/rock

it makes me giggle

Mick

The demo is so much better...its one of those songs which leaves me wondering if the producer took over the reins a little.

These Walls is such a phenomenal song! Octavarium haters can go get hit by a bus. Preferably after juggling knives.

With their tonsils.

• Like 1

it makes me giggle

Mick

The demo is so much better...its one of those songs which leaves me wondering if the producer took over the reins a little.

These Walls is such a phenomenal song! Octavarium haters can go get hit by a bus. Preferably after juggling knives.

With their tonsils.

Octavarium Rules. Haters don't have ears.

I think for them it's to accessible.......which it really is.

Save for Sacrificed Sons And the title track.

but they're deaf.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Sacrifices Sons joins a small list of songs that moves me close to tears.

That list also includes:

Into The Fire and Drive All Night by Springsteen, and Earth Song by MJ.

it makes me giggle

Mick

With their tonsils.

Octavarium Rules. Haters don't have ears.

I think it's to accessible.......which it really is.

Save for Sacrificed Sons And the title track.

but they're deaf.

Mick

Sacrifices Sons, it was the one and only song that blew me away upon first listen when I bought Greatest Hit and water the title is after that a few years back.

It's glorious and the subject matter is very well handled.

• Like 1

Woohoo! Amazon just alerted me: the box set has been dispatched!!!

Although I am playing them so much I wouldn't be surprised if I am burned out by the time it arrives haha

• Like 1