I need a drink

lerxt1990

New England Patriots - haven't won the Super Bowl since February 2015

Because of one player where the rules are manipulated to give that players position an overwhelming advantage. And there are

are only 5-6 QBs elite enough to take advantage of these rule changes. Whoop dee dam diddly do!

Surprising the NFL is still so popular. The Patsies and Broncos look like flag football teams when they line up now! What a sport!

Who got picked in the 6th round. If your team had been as insightful as mine, they could have picked him.

Who'd the Pats pick in round five that year? He must have been some player if the Pats thought he was better than Brady. Now that's some real insight right there.

Your cheering section made the point that the Patriots "only" won the Super Bowl because the league protects QBs and the Pats have one of the few elite ones. Funny that the other QB he mocks couldn't take advantage of that in the previous Super Bowl. Anyways, he contradicts your favorite refrain. Do you agree with that?

No. It's nice to have a cheering section though...

He also suggests that the NFL shouldn't be as popular as it is. You're judged by the company you keep.

Because of one player where the rules are manipulated to give that players position an overwhelming advantage. And there are

are only 5-6 QBs elite enough to take advantage of these rule changes. Whoop dee dam diddly do!

Surprising the NFL is still so popular. The Patsies and Broncos look like flag football teams when they line up now! What a sport!

That's probably news to LeGarrette Blount and Jonas Gray.

Do you follow the game much?

Who got picked in the 6th round. If your team had been as insightful as mine, they could have picked him.

Who'd the Pats pick in round five that year? He must have been some player if the Pats thought he was better than Brady. Now that's some real insight right there.

Your cheering section made the point that the Patriots "only" won the Super Bowl because the league protects QBs and the Pats have one of the few elite ones. Funny that the other QB he mocks couldn't take advantage of that in the previous Super Bowl. Anyways, he contradicts your favorite refrain. Do you agree with that?

He also suggests that the NFL shouldn't be as popular as it is. You're judged by the company you keep.

That works both ways, right?

Do you mean he's judged by the fact he's aligned with you?

No, I didn't say it very well. I meant to ask if you're willing to be judged in the same vein as other Boston fans and WEEI listeners...

No, I didn't say it very well. I meant to ask if you're willing to be judged in the same vein as other Boston fans and WEEI listeners...

Not Jimmy Fallon. Or Ben Affleck.

FYI WEEI has a number of NY a-holes as regular callers. So definitely not them.

• Like 1

Without Brady, the pats win ZERO Super Bowls. Zero. you know that.

The seven hundred games leading up to the Super Bowl are officiated in a manner that heavily favors the team with the elite QB.

You know that as well.

The rules are written and re-written over and over to favor the QB.

Just because the 700games leading up to the Super Bowl are officiated tightly against the secondary, does not mean that the championship games are officiated in the same manner. Refs put the whistles away at the end of the season, you know that as well.

When the patsies and broncos line up ten across, you gonna tell me that don't look like flag football?

The way manning and Brady go to the line without a play and start pointing out the routes to the receivers. That don't look like flag football?

The way QBs get 15 yards and automatic first downs after barely being touched, that don't look like flag football?

It took Brady and manning to cry to the nfl, let us doctor our own balls, that lead to them cheating. Pats win at nerfball, boy the nfl is happy that story went away. If Carrol makes the right call, we are talking about dynasty, not belly cheat.

I don't like my contract, cheat my way out of it. I don't like what the other team is doing, let's videotape them and cheat some more. Don't like using the same football as the other team, let's whine to the league so we can use our own and doctor them up, yeah this is a great sport.

The NFL is lucky to have such a loyal and undemanding fan base. A game without D is barely worth watching.

Edited by Gabrielgil513

Without Brady, the pats win ZERO Super Bowls. Zero. you know that.

The seven hundred games leading up to the Super Bowl are officiated in a manner that heavily favors the team with the elite QB.

You know that as well.

The rules are written and re-written over and over to favor the QB.

Just because the 700games leading up to the Super Bowl are officiated tightly against the secondary, does not mean that the championship games are officiated in the same manner. Refs put the whistles away at the end of the season, you know that as well.

When the patsies and broncos line up ten across, you gonna tell me that don't look like flag football?

The way manning and Brady go to the line without a play and start pointing out the routes to the receivers. That don't look like flag football?

The way QBs get 15 yards and automatic first downs after barely being touched, that don't look like flag football?

It took Brady and manning to cry to the nfl, let us doctor our own balls, that lead to them cheating. Pats win at nerfball, boy the nfl is happy that story went away. If Carrol makes the right call, we are talking about dynasty, not belly cheat.

I don't like my contract, cheat my way out of it. I don't like what the other team is doing, let's videotape them and cheat some more. Don't like using the same football as the other team, let's whine to the league so we can use our own and doctor them up, yeah this is a great sport.

The NFL is lucky to have such a loyal and undemanding fan base. A game without D is barely worth watching.

Well, a couple of points are in order.

First off, you mention the fact that the Seahawks would have been a dynasty if they won again this year. You'd agree they are a team largely built on defense, no? And, while you bash Pete Carroll's decision making, the reality is that the Patriots won the Super Bowl in part because they put 14 points up in one quarter against "The Legion of Boom" and in part because their own defense made an outstanding play on the goal line (because they had practiced that exact play that week, and Malcolm Butler had gotten burned by the scout offense, so it was good coaching, right?). The reality is that teams that can't play defense, like Denver, like the Colts, usually don't win the last game of the season. The one time Peyton Manning did win a championship, he did so largely because his defense played incredibly during the playoffs.

Second, the "belly cheat" and "video taping" stuff is old, and silly really. The Patriots got punished in 2007 because Eric Mangini was upset that Belichick wrote him off for taking the Jets job, and so he reported that the Patriots were still videotaping coordinators after the league told all the teams to stop doing what they all were doing. Even Jimmy Johnson, who coached LABT's favorite team, admitted at the time that everyone did it. Watch a game next season and you'll see coordinators with their cards over their mouths while calling signals. Do you think that's because they're afraid the other team can hear them in a stadium speaking at a normal volume, or do you think it's because teams employ lip readers?

The NFL isn't run by dummies. The league is driven by marquee QBs. The league isn't better off with Roethlisberger, Brady, Rodgers and company sidelined every year with concussions after the first game of the season. And its popularity is at an all time high. Maybe you think it looks like flag football. Everyone else seems to enjoy it.

I agree with you about the game balls though. I don't see why the league doesn't provide the game balls. But Drew Bledsoe, who is probably not in his heart Tom Brady's biggest fan, did say that he didn't think a deflated ball, which doesn't travel as well, would be a big advantage to Brady, since he doesn't have small hands.

• Like 1

Rick, that's a huge double standard. To let the last four teams get to play aggressive d and the 300 (*agreed its not 700) games before it not play that style of d, a huge weakness in the game.

By idolizing the QB position and having a bias in the rules written and how they are enforced, brings the NFL much closer to professional wrestling than to the football of old, or any of the other major team sports. Oh yeah, the NBA is all offense too I hear. I wouldnt know.

The Hawks should never have thrown over the middle there. Rolling out Wilson to give the pass/ run/ throw away option was the easy call. If the play wasnt there, throw it away then you can run Lynch over the middle twice. Its great to get all the key breaks that decide games and call it good coaching. Throwing over the middle is a terrible call, especially given the Hawks had the overwhelming advantage at 26 seconds left and a TO.

Just because people are trained to watch the NFL does not indicate its a quality and balanced competition, worthy of idol worshipping. I agree the NFL is more interested in their non traditional fan base to maximize revenue. Doesnt mean its a better product or a better game.

If votes count for entertainment quality, we would be on the Madonna forum, not Rush ;)

I am all for protecting the health of the QB. But when they change a rule to help them, they need to balance that with a rule to help the d. For example, 5 yard chuck rule should be 10. No injuries there, probably makes the game safer. Pass interference should be the same penalty on O and D. Not 60 yards on the D and 10 yards on the O. And many passer roughing calls are absurd. Maybe Hulk Hogan can be their new icon.

I shouldnt even touch the rationalization for cheating. He did it on his Jets contract, got away with it, and was the only one caught in the history of the game taping other teams. They read lips decades ago, so not sure what that is about. The old guard protects itself by coming to his defense, does not make it of high integrity. Belly, he doesnt have much of that.

Edited by Gabrielgil513

Rick, that's a huge double standard. To let the last four teams get to play aggressive d and the 300 (*agreed its not 700) games before it not play that style of d, a huge weakness in the game.

You'd prefer an eight-game season, perhaps? That level of smash-mouth football is unsustainable over a 16-game season, because of the injuroes that would occur.. There'd be no one left on either side of the football.
  • Like 1

Not at all goose. Many things can be done with no impact on injuries to bring a minimum of balance to the game. Ten yard chuck rule would have fewer injuries. If there were more incentive for press coverage, less incentive to lay back and lay out receivers as they catch the ball.

Pass interference should be the same punishment on O and D, no impact on injuries. D holding, illegal chuck, et al should not be auto first down.

the NFL goes way too far on roughing passer calls, as many of them are not flagrant.

Intersting how NFL does nothing about the health of the RB, huge double standard, as its not a glam job no more. Used to be a much better sport when we had more HOF RBs.

Not at all goose. Many things can be done with no impact on injuries to bring a minimum of balance to the game. Ten yard chuck rule would have fewer injuries. If there were more incentive for press coverage, less incentive to lay back and lay out receivers as they catch the ball.

Pass interference should be the same punishment on O and D, no impact on injuries. D holding, illegal chuck, et al should not be auto first down.

the NFL goes way too far on roughing passer calls, as many of them are not flagrant.

Intersting how NFL does nothing about the health of the RB, huge double standard, as its not a glam job no more. Used to be a much better sport when we had more HOF RBs.

Agreed. When form tackling became illegal, the game of football in the NFL took ten steps backwards.

Goodell is horrible.

I shouldnt even touch the rationalization for cheating. He did it on his Jets contract, got away with it, and was the only one caught in the history of the game taping other teams. They read lips decades ago, so not sure what that is about. The old guard protects itself by coming to his defense, does not make it of high integrity. Belly, he doesnt have much of that.

How did he cheat on his Jets' contract? By resigning a position he didn't want? And how did he get away with it? The Patriots had to cough up a draft pick to sign him.

They read lips now. Or are you saying you think the coordinators cover their mouths so that the other team can't hear them in a stadium filled with approximately 75,000 screaming people?

The old guard didn't come to his defense in 2007. That's why the Patriots ran up the scores that year. Because he was angry that NO ONE stood up to admit they too were taping coordinators.

Football is now the most popular game in America by miles. Because its product is outstanding. And that's in no small part because of Brady, Manning, Rodgers, et al

The old guard didn't come to his defense in 2007. That's why the Patriots ran up the scores that year. Because he was angry that NO ONE stood up to admit they too were taping coordinators.

This is the first I've heard of this, is it speculation or did he come out and say it.

Well, a couple more things.

First off, running backs are in a different position (no pun intended) than receivers or QBs. They're usually stockier, and they're able to prepare for contact pretty much from the instant they touch the ball. As opposed to a QB or WR who is often concentrating on something else (waiting for a receiver to come free, catching the ball) when they get hit.

And in a related vein, the game's different than when OJ Simpson or Tony Dorsett played. The players are bigger, stronger, and faster. Send Polamalu back in time to the 70s and he'd, literally, kill players.

• Like 1

This is the first I've heard of this, is it speculation or did he come out and say it.

I've read that privately he said that.

Must not have been too private then.

The harsh rules for hitting a quarterback are designed as a deterrent. Lose your QB and you've lost your season. As far as protecting the RB, I wouldn't mind seeing a rule put in to prevent them from using their helmet as a weapon. The D-back can't lead with his head, why should the RB?
  • Like 1

You don't think people repeat things said to them in confidence to the media or to other people?

You don't think people repeat things said to them in confidence to the media or to other people?

If there's no evidence that Belichick blew a gasket at the guy that said it, he wanted it to get out.

The harsh rules for hitting a quarterback are designed as a deterrent. Lose your QB and you've lost your season. As far as protecting the RB, I wouldn't mind seeing a rule put in to prevent them from using their helmet as a weapon. The D-back can't lead with his head, why should the RB?

I think as the concussion awareness gathers more steam you may very well see that.

• Like 1

Well, a couple more things.

First off, running backs are in a different position (no pun intended) than receivers or QBs. They're usually stockier, and they're able to prepare for contact pretty much from the instant they touch the ball. As opposed to a QB or WR who is often concentrating on something else (waiting for a receiver to come free, catching the ball) when they get hit.

And in a related vein, the game's different than when OJ Simpson or Tony Dorsett played. The players are bigger, stronger, and faster. Send Polamalu back in time to the 70s and he'd, literally, kill players.

Messers Backer and Goose,

You are certainly aware starting RBs these days barely last 5-6 years, and we have been stuck watching Manning and Brady for over 15 ? RBs can prepare for the contact all they want but they still are getting run out of the league, and the nfl could care less. Pun intended.

And Mr G (.oose), losing your QB and tanking your season is precisely my point. It's supposed to be a team game, but as you indirectly pointed out, it surely is not.

Best comparison I got is hockey, where the goalie is a huge position. Teams that have elite goalies have a huge advantage. But if a goalie gets hurt, it is not a stretch for the backup to be decent and the team stay very competitive.

NFL players are bigger and stronger, but that doesn't matter much because the NFL has turned into a dart throwing competition.

Most folks love it. But I find it diminished strategy and one dimensional and increasingly more boring than it used to be. And most of the teams are playing with a tanked season.

Edit...I missed the Polamalu comment...

Put him back in the 70s and his strength would be more comparative to the players of his time. His strength is a result of the workout regimen, knowledge and technology of his time.

Edited by Gabrielgil513

But I find it diminished strategy and one dimensional and increasingly more boring than it used to be. .

There's orders of magnitude more strategy and complexity to the game than there was in the 70s (and even 80s and 90s).

• Like 1