My BIGGEST pet peeve when it comes to fans of music.

fraroc

as far as music fan pet peeves go, ignoring what the OP was talking about and derailing this f***er, the only thing coming to mind right now is punk and indie fans who avoid metal or 70s rock so as to not damage their "cred."

I will never get this...like "unique and individual" music fans who embrace the same fashion as everybody else, and rejects music that doesn't fit their desired image.

Bleugh! I do love it though when bands that are popular with the hipster crowd reveal interest in classic rock bands.

As an aside, one of the guys from One Direction has been seen wearing a Rush T-Shirt...works both ways!

• Like 1

as far as music fan pet peeves go, ignoring what the OP was talking about and derailing this f***er, the only thing coming to mind right now is punk and indie fans who avoid metal or 70s rock so as to not damage their "cred."

I will never get this...like "unique and individual" music fans who embrace the same fashion as everybody else, and rejects music that doesn't fit their desired image.

Bleugh! I do love it though when bands that are popular with the hipster crowd reveal interest in classic rock bands.

As an aside, one of the guys from One Direction has been seen wearing a Rush T-Shirt...works both ways!

it's weird, man. they wanna be an individual, but they wanna fit in and be in a group too. they end up caring more about "the scene" than just being a music lover.

it's weird, man. they wanna be an individual, but they wanna fit in and be in a group too. they end up caring more about "the scene" than just being a music lover.

Annoys me so much...especially when the majority of musicians would probably not be seen dead with fans that act like that.

If you want to be an individual, stop HAVING GUILTY PLEASURES and just enjoy what you enjoy!

If there is one thing that I honestly CANNOT stand and it pisses me off SO much is fans who turn their back on their favorite band because of these reasons. A. It's not the original band anymore B. The lead singer doesn't sound the same as he did 30 years ago. How the HELL can you possible classify yourself as a fan of whatever band if you're just going to complain about stuff that obviously comes with the package with older bands? A true fan stands by their band and their bands history, good or bad. And if you're going to sit there and say stuff like "David Lee Roth is a horrible singer, I don't like VH anymore." or "Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer aren't real members of KISS and they suck now." Then guess what, you obviously don't support those bands anymore.

So you're saying that in order to be a fan one has to love absolutely everything about them? I think that would fall more under the obsessive category. I think real fans acknowledge the good and bad about a band and love them anyway. I love my husband but I there are still things about him I don't like (why are you snoring, for chrissakes!), so why shouldn't the same sort of thing apply to bands I love?

I think that a band that you love and an actual living person that you love are two different entities. I'm not saying that you have to love EVERYthing about a band, but I do still stand by my opinion that there is some hypocrisy in saying that "Oh, I'm still a HUGE Rush fan, but they suck now and every album since Presto has been shit. And they suck live now, but I'm still a HUGE fan and I LOVE Rush!"

Who stated they suck live?

Its not hypocrisy at all. Its music regardless of who the band is. Your not going to like/love every thing a band puts out.

No one on this site said those words exactly, but on Youtube, you get all that kind of shit.

You have brought up Youtube here before and in the same context. Seems that may be something you may want to avoid in the future. Stop reading the commentary anyway. Personally I am here to have fun first and foremost and discuss my favorite band mostly. Sometimes its gonna be positive and other times not... :codger:
  • Like 3

If there is one thing that I honestly CANNOT stand and it pisses me off SO much is fans who turn their back on their favorite band because of these reasons. A. It's not the original band anymore B. The lead singer doesn't sound the same as he did 30 years ago. How the HELL can you possible classify yourself as a fan of whatever band if you're just going to complain about stuff that obviously comes with the package with older bands? A true fan stands by their band and their bands history, good or bad. And if you're going to sit there and say stuff like "David Lee Roth is a horrible singer, I don't like VH anymore." or "Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer aren't real members of KISS and they suck now." Then guess what, you obviously don't support those bands anymore.

So you're saying that in order to be a fan one has to love absolutely everything about them? I think that would fall more under the obsessive category. I think real fans acknowledge the good and bad about a band and love them anyway. I love my husband but I there are still things about him I don't like (why are you snoring, for chrissakes!), so why shouldn't the same sort of thing apply to bands I love?

I think that a band that you love and an actual living person that you love are two different entities. I'm not saying that you have to love EVERYthing about a band, but I do still stand by my opinion that there is some hypocrisy in saying that "Oh, I'm still a HUGE Rush fan, but they suck now and every album since Presto has been shit. And they suck live now, but I'm still a HUGE fan and I LOVE Rush!"

Its not hypocrisy at all. Its music regardless of who the band is. Your not going to like/love every thing a band puts out.

No one on this site said those words exactly, but on Youtube, you get all that kind of shit.

You have brought up Youtube here before and in the same context. Seems that may be something you may want to avoid in the future. Stop reading the commentary anyway. Personally I am here to have fun first and foremost and discuss my favorite band mostly. Sometimes its gonna be positive and other times not... :codger:

Agreed.

:atickhum:

Then you need to post that. ;)

• Like 2

Annoys me so much...especially when the majority of musicians would probably not be seen dead with fans that act like that.

If you want to be an individual, stop HAVING GUILTY PLEASURES and just enjoy what you enjoy!

yeah, most people who make music for a living are, well, music lovers, and they're not ashamed of it. although metal fans, in my experience, seem more willing to branch out to other genres than a lot of folks, I'll talk to guys at metal shows who are proud of only listening to one subgenre of a subgenre! I'm like, okay, whatever works for you is fine but I have more than one mood besides PISSED OFF and I don't think I could listen to a scandinavian black metal demo tape every single day of my life. then you read an interview with the band who's playing at the show and it's like, "our influences include johnny cash, vivaldi, judas priest and madonna."

• Like 1

yeah, most people who make music for a living are, well, music lovers, and they're not ashamed of it. although metal fans, in my experience, seem more willing to branch out to other genres than a lot of folks, I'll talk to guys at metal shows who are proud of only listening to one subgenre of a subgenre! I'm like, okay, whatever works for you is fine but I have more than one mood besides PISSED OFF and I don't think I could listen to a scandinavian black metal demo tape every single day of my life. then you read an interview with the band who's playing at the show and it's like, "our influences include johnny cash, vivaldi, judas priest and madonna."

EXACTLY! His name escapes me, but the frontman of Opeth is a big ABBA fan, and has stated so. Cristina Scabbia is a big fan of Pantera, Korn, Meshuggah, Depeche Mode and Paradise Lost...

Great music is inspired by broad tastes, and to e perfectly honest, I have days when real metal is all I want, then I have my cheesy pop days, or weeks on end spent listening only to jazz fusion.

Not boasting...I get bored listening to just one genre (subgenre, sub-subgenre), so I mix things up. Although I must say the last five years has seen my tastes dramatically mellow out...I did not see that one coming.

But I get frustrated especially when I go to gigs of rock/metal bands I love. I do not dress to conform to anything, I am actually very, erm, dapper. So called "open minded" fans have hurled abuse, mocked me and ridiculed me for being a "pretty boy" or worse, when in all honesty, I probably love said bands more than they do!

Hence my often extreme annoyingness on this forum when I get hooked on something unpopular on this forum. If I love something, I just go mental for it! No inhibitions. After all, enthusiasm for Yes, Kansas and Iron Maiden (who I already knew fairly well) got me interested...even you with Kate Bush!

• Like 1

The only reason to read YouTube comments is if you want to make yourself angry and lose faith in humanity. They're not worth reading. The corollary is: don't write hateful or spiteful comments on websites.

The only reason to read YouTube comments is if you want to make yourself angry and lose faith in humanity. They're not worth reading. The corollary is: don't write hateful or spiteful comments on websites.

I sometimes find the comments funny on pop videos.

"ARIANA GRANDE IS THE BEST SINGER EVER!!!! YES, BETTER THAN BRITNEY!"

I can list several bands I wouldn't pay big bucks to see without original members, The Who, Kiss. And the biggest offender on my list is Yes. I am boycotting them until they get Jon Anderson back. He wants to play and he sounds great and they let him take time off when he was sick. They replaced him which is understandable, but when Jon got better they refused to let him in.They made a piece of shit album and continue to tour without him. I understand bands revolving around mostly one guy like Porcupine Tree, King Crimson, Black Sabbath, or Iron Maiden and don't mind their lineup changes but when one of the biggest parts to the bands sound is given the boot and replaced, it's disgusting.
  • Like 2

If there is one thing that I honestly CANNOT stand and it pisses me off SO much is fans who turn their back on their favorite band because of these reasons. A. It's not the original band anymore

I stopped reading here.

Wish I had...
  • Like 1

I can list several bands I wouldn't pay big bucks to see without original members, The Who, Kiss. And the biggest offender on my list is Yes. I am boycotting them until they get Jon Anderson back. He wants to play and he sounds great and they let him take time off when he was sick. They replaced him which is understandable, but when Jon got better they refused to let him in.They made a piece of shit album and continue to tour without him. I understand bands revolving around mostly one guy like Porcupine Tree, King Crimson, Black Sabbath, or Iron Maiden and don't mind their lineup changes but when one of the biggest parts to the bands sound is given the boot and replaced, it's disgusting.

I have not heard the Last 2 yes Albums and i refuse to. It's Anderson or nothing. Yes has become NO, lol. I wonder if the OP would whistle a different tune if one Geddy Lee were Replaced, lol

Mick

• Like 3

I have not heard the Last 2 yes Albums and i refuse to. It's Anderson or nothing. Yes has become NO, lol. I wonder if the OP would whistle a different tune if one Geddy Lee were Replaced, lol

Mick

Doubt it. He seems to know only one tune. He seems a pretty angry dude to me. Just my observation from hanging around here seemingly all the time... :sigh:
  • Like 1

Drama wasn't the worst album, and it is at least better than Union...

But yes, Yes needs Jon Anderson. Sadly, I am a new fan in the wrong era.

• Like 1

Drama has some ok tunes.......but no Anderson no dice.

Mick

Mick

My point was that there is at least one Yes album without Anderson that betters a couple that do...

• Like 1

Just to add my 2¢ to this....I think A LOT of it depends on what members of the band are still there....

A band like Chicago re-grouped quickly, and they had a GREAT run until Peter Cetera left, (and they got rid of Danny Seraphine) but they're still working as is, and the horn section is intact, so that WORKS for them....I've seen them a few times over the past few years, and it's the HORN section that makes the show IMHO!

A band like Styx had a nice run in the 90's when everyone except the drummer (who was sick, and subsequently passed away) was still in the band...now it's just The lead guitar player (J.Y.), and Tommy Shaw, and occasionally the original bass player... friends who have seen them say it's a "decent" show, but not Styx.

Pink Floyd did their thing with Gilmour, Mason, and Wright...it was a GOOD show, (the 1987 show in Philly is STILL one of my favorite concerts) but when you would see Roger Waters SOLO, you know WHO the band really was... (and I'm not slagging the "Gilmour Floyd" because that had it's own merits...but he probably just shouldn't have called it Floyd, and saved himself all of the hassles with Waters)

Now I see stuff online about Foghat...the only original member is the DRUMMER? That's not Foghat...

Kansas is now only the lead guitar player, and the drummer (who basically started the band)..plus a few guys that wove in and out over the different incarnations....doesn't "feel" like Kansas to me now that Steve Walsh is gone...and truthfully...I wasn't hard core into them when Elefante was the lead singer...they weren't had, but...

Dream Theater? Like them better or not without Portnoy...I just don't consider them DREAM THEATER... It had a pretty good run with Sherinian, and when Rudess FIRST joined it wasn't too bad, now it's just primarily Jordan Rudess and John Petrucci's band...with Myung playing bass and James LaBrie still singing. The "vibe" isn't the same to me...

Now Van Halen made the Sammy Hagar thing work when Roth went solo...I actually know people that prefer the Hagar version better. And I've heard mixed reviews about the new version...(and people are pissed that they didn't keep Michael Anthony on Bass)

Yes was another one that had a LOT of different incarnations, and they made each and every one work over the years, there's not a really BAD version of Yes out there, except for now...Instrumentally it's a good thing, but vocal wise...I'm not buying it..the two "cover band" guys that have sung lead over the past few years are alright, but there's only ONE Jon Anderson..and it's a shame that ABWH couldn't call themselves Yes because when I saw them in 89, that was one of the best YES shows I ever saw! Even the Trevor Horn version wasn't THAT good...(and I liked those songs!)

Mostly to me a band's identity is the lead singer (well unless it's something that doesn't focus on the lead singer) Some bands are just capitalizing on former merit, and with who is in the band, it just seems wrong. How would you feel is Alex went out with a few different guys and called it Rush?

• Like 2

Mick

Drama isn't good at all in my view...
  • Like 1

Heck I forgot this, and it's the opposite end of the spectrum....What about when ELP wanted to record and tour, and Carl Palmer had commitments to Asia? They got Cozy Powell, and called the band EMERSON, LAKE, AND POWELL and wouldn't market it as "ELP" in the ad's! All of the advertising was the their names....then when Palmer was able to do it, and Lake had something up his butt, they called it Three!

But when Lake came back it went back to the old ELP logo, and all that.

Gotta respect that!

• Like 2