• Different Stages (all cds)
    • Rush in Rio
    • R30 - 30th Anniversary World Tour
    • Snakes and Arrows Tour
    • Time Machine Tour
    • Clockwork Angels Tour

Strangers in the night >>>> ATWAS

Not even close.

A band at their peak and for whom it was downhill after vs. a band whose best work was still to come.

I had never UFO before a few weeks ago, and I listened to a little bit of a studio album- I think it was Lights Out. Couldn't really get into it. :huh:

Have ATWAS on for the first time in oh wow must be a year and a half. and surprise. i'm enjoying it. I Remember being repulsed by it. See what a little distance does?

Mick

Would probably be a good idea if everyone listened to the albums in question and then voted. Sometimes our memory of what something is like that we haven't listened to in a while isn't really accurate anymore.

• Like 1

Have ATWAS on for the first time in oh wow must be a year and a half. and surprise. i'm enjoying it. I Remember being repulsed by it. See what a little distance does?

Mick

Would probably be a good idea if everyone listened to the albums in question and then voted. Sometimes our memory of what something is like that we haven't listened to in a while isn't really accurate anymore.

I agree. I'm loving ATWAS right now. No way i'll be choosing it soon.

Narps will love reading this, lol

Mick

• Like 2

Strangers in the night >>>> ATWAS

Not even close.

A band at their peak and for whom it was downhill after vs. a band whose best work was still to come.

I love Strangers as much as anybody on this planet I would bet but I couldn't put it ahead of ATWAS. Sentimental reasons and Rush is my favorite band all time period. There was plenty of great material on the first four albums but I agree there was plenty of greatness to come. Your assessment of UFO however is spot on. It was their pinnacle... :)

Mick

Mick

Turn it up brother :cheers: Its best listened to loud. You won't find any yodeling on that one I promise... :)
  • Like 1

Mick

Mick

Turn it up brother :cheers: Its best listened to loud. You won't find any yodeling on that one I promise... :)

it's bitter sweet. When you hear what ged could do once upon a time.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Mick

Mick

Mick

Indeed... :(
  • Like 1

Mick

Mick

Mick

and people wanna hear these songs NOW?????

Mick

Mick

Mick

Mick

and people wanna hear these songs NOW?????

Mick

I still do but just don't record them. Live I won't give a sh*t...
  • Like 1

3 votes for ATWAS.... :eh: :sigh:

Glad i doubled checked the album......i would have been number 4 after CA.

just being honest.

Mick

I will say this about ATWAS as it is true with all of Rush's early work. I can understand why some wouldn't care for it as much due to Geds voice back then. It was an acquired taste even back then and I can imagine some folks who came to Rush later wouldn't care for it as much. Just keep'in it real... :)
  • Like 1

3 votes for ATWAS.... :eh: :sigh:

Glad i doubled checked the album......i would have been number 4 after CA.

just being honest.

Mick

I will say this about ATWAS as it is true with all of Rush's early work. I can understand why some wouldn't care for it as much due to Geds voice back then. It was an acquired taste even back then and I can imagine some folks who came to Rush later wouldn't care for it as much. Just keep'in it real... :)

ged's voice does get to be a bit much sometimes......but.......i'm just digging the playing of a youthful band.

Mick

• Like 1

ATWAS was my first Rush album, so that will always be my favorite! I probably spent more time listening and playing along to E...SL...but I totally hate A Show of Hands! I don't like the sound more than anything else. The song selection was typical for the time frame, but just not one I grab for!

I actually like the GuP soundtrack better than that one! (not to mention the Different Stages from Hammersmith disc...I LIKE the T4E tour part but...)

R30 is probably my MOST favorite of the later day ones, as well as Snakes and Arrows Live!

All the World's a Stage is deadly good. Three young dudes giving everything, no bullshit, just this side of awesomely trashy sounding, just great performances, no pre-recorded stuff (except for the 2112 intro), and little if any post-show tinkering (well, they all probably had to tinker pretty bad, but I'm talking about the sound). It's among the most honest of all the live records, and should get extra points just for being scorching.
  • Like 3

All the World's a Stage is deadly good. Three young dudes giving everything, no bullshit, just this side of awesomely trashy sounding, just great performances, no pre-recorded stuff (except for the 2112 intro), and little if any post-show tinkering (well, they all probably had to tinker pretty bad, but I'm talking about the sound). It's among the most honest of all the live records, and should get extra points just for being scorching.

:goodone: :notworthy: ....

I went with A Show of Hands mainly because it's my least fave setlist of em all. (And with my hearing being so bad these days sound not being as important as it used too :).

Indeed, it is a sterile, not really live record that basically serves as a greatest hits for the bands weakest musical output.

not one of the 4 albums people voted as the best in the last series of polls is featured on ATWAS but people are surprised that it's getting votes ???

ATWAS is equivalent to (imho) the Zep BBC Sessions album. Young, raw, unpolished, powerful, energetic but a band nowhere near their prime yet.

I'm surprised S&A has not received any votes yet. Sure the sound quality was nice, but the Set List was choppy and very skewed in its diversity, and their performances felt stiff on that one. I would have voted for it, had I not wanted to state my case that I find ATWAS terribly overrated (and it hurts my ears a touch).