This is going to sound so f***ing corny but....

fraroc

I have always had relationship with 'Bravado' , despite RTB not being one of my all time favs.

Bravado has always been a reflective song, to look back at life , career in some manner.

That's the great thing about music, it can fit your own existence.

I can what 'The Pass' has done to you personally, and how much it meant.

Good for you.

Now I will listen to 'The Pass' and 'Bravado' back to back and cry myself to sleep

I have something to share with you guys :)

Today at school, the theatre club was doing a talent show and a bunch of my friends were participating in it. I'm not a member of the theatre club but I do know people in it and they were very happy to have me participate in the talent show. I was originally going to do a song by the Jason Bonham Band (or just "Bonham") called Room For Us All, but I decided to switch it to The Pass.

Everyone thought I sounded pretty good, a few people in the club WERE Rush fans, and what took me aback was the fact that the theatre club has a lot of gay men and lesbians in the club and there was this one guy, who had a boyfriend who watched me and I thought he was going to cry...It seems pretty obvious that The Pass did speak to him on a personal level....When I was done and I got my standing ovation, he made a point to tell me that I sounded great and that he liked the song I picked...

• Like 10

Today at school, the theatre club was doing a talent show and a bunch of my friends were participating in it. I'm not a member of the theatre club but I do know people in it and they were very happy to have me participate in the talent show. I was originally going to do a song by the Jason Bonham Band (or just "Bonham") called Room For Us All, but I decided to switch it to The Pass.

Everyone thought I sounded pretty good, a few people in the club WERE Rush fans, and what took me aback was the fact that the theatre club has a lot of gay men and lesbians in the club and there was this one guy, who had a boyfriend who watched me and I thought he was going to cry...It seems pretty obvious that The Pass did speak to him on a personal level....When I was done and I got my standing ovation, he made a point to tell me that I sounded great and that he liked the song I picked...

That's a great story. :)

This is a very good thing. I was an educator for 17 years. On 5 occasions, a depressed, suicidal student cried out to me for help. 4 of those 5 students were gay and their suicidal thoughts were tied directly to their sexuality, more accurately their interpretation of their self worth in the context of general society's views on their sexuality. I was your typical rowdy frat boy type (mostly as self-medication for the other thing I mentioned in this post) in my youth. I held no ill will toward anyone because of their sexuality, but it never occurred to me how hard it can be for gay and lesbian youth until I became a teacher. It led me to become a fierce straight ally. Ironically, until just now, it never occurred to me how The Pass, although about suicidal thoughts, could be even more poignant for a gay or lesbian person in that state of mind.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 3

Music is one of the best things about life. Great for making personal discoveries, and great for sharing. These kinds of posts remind me that I should try not to be so critical.

All of these stories are amazing and a song touching you for any reason is never corny. You will never know what hits you at the right time in your life and its amazing that these artists that we all love can help us along. Metallica's "Fade to Black" helped me in my youth, and now Springsteens "One Step Up" pretty much universally brings a tear to my eye. To each his own, and whatever helps.

PS "Losing it" usually makes me lose it too

Atwas (my first intro to Rush) helped me through a very dark period back in '78/79. It was so positive and powerful- both in message, and sonically-speaking. It really was therapeutic to me.

Is your handle on this forum related to that? Like a symbolic ascension of your spirit, in '79?

• Like 1

This is fantastic. :)

I had not yet listened to The Pass...wow, this one is very powerful. I'm sitting here with fresh tears on my cheeks b/c something in the emotion of that song hooked right into a tender spot in me. Not corny at all that this song means so much to you and others. I think it means a lot to me now.

Never listed to The Pass before...a few hours ago? Wow!

I still remember the first time I ever listened to it- the first time I heard Presto, when it was new. I was 16 (and I alluded to my sister in my first post in this thread- she was 19). Different from any other Rush song I'd ever heard.

I'm still a Rush newb (altho much less so than last summer) and like to take a lot of time absorbing each album.

Over the past 4 or 5 days The Pass has been cemented into my head in a good way. This semester at college has been really tough, and with other life stuff going on (1st year after my mom passed), depression and anxiety have been knocking heavily at my door. Just hearing "all of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars" and other encouragements throughout the song gives me hope and urges me to keep going in spite of all the danger (**bad Beatles reference). I <3 The Pass.

I've suffered from on and off depression. and it's great to have a song that speaks to you. I remember mine was Elton John's this train Don't stop Here Anymore. That song describes me in my teen years.

Nothing corny at all.

Mick

Here's the short version.

Been dealing with depression on and off since 2010-2011 when I was in high school. When I first listened to The Pass, I was like..."holy shit, Neil knows EXACTLY what me and other sufferers go through." Whether its being depressed over being bullied, feeling like you're a failure, that you'll never amount to anything, feeling like you're this worthless waste of space that's better off dead.....People who have depression all feel a combination of those things.

Whenever I start to feel like nothing, I always remind myself "Turn around and walk the razor's edge, don't turn your back and slam the door on me."

I guess I should go more into detail on why now I decided to post NOW that The Pass saved my life.

I have no problem with people who have millions of dollars, I have no problem with people who party a lot and bang a lot of hot girls, and I don't think there is anything wrong with a guy living a hedonistic, self-indulgent lifestyle because he has a lot of money and flaunting it.

However, I do not approve of using that status as a weapon to shit on everyone else's lives and making them feel like they're less than shit because they don't have 100 million bucks and have huge mansions and bang a million broads a day. That is a surefire way of making someone more "average" feel like they're life is shit and they'd be better off dead. And give them the desire to "slam the door on me"

But now, I hold fast to the belief that whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger. And this time, I managed to turn around and walk the razor's edge.

Don't ever let envy get the best of you, and never let anyone make you feel bad over what you don't have. Believe it or not, you're far better off than those excessively wealthy people you speak of. Whenever I'm feeling low, I do something nice for someone else, and am uplifted by the warmth and good feeling I've created for them. This can be as simple as going out of your way to hold the door open for an elderly person or smiling and winking at a baby and seeing him/her smile back at you. And this is the answer to the question "Why are we here?" It is to enhance one other's lives and create good feelings for each other. Such feelings can not be bought or sold, and some of the wealthiest people alive have no idea what I am talking about.

• Like 1

PS One of my favorite memories of my children's youth has to do with The Pass. The kids were in the backseat of the truck and we were on a road trip somewhere. I was playing the entirety of Presto and during The Pass, when the song came to the point of "someoneset a bad example, made surrender seem alright, the act of a noble warrior... " the kids were softly singing along. They weren't quite old enough to truly know what the song meant, but they had an inkling and hearing them sing went straight to my heart. As the song closed, my youngest half hollered from the back seat, "Daddy, that's a really pretty song. I think it is my favorite." She's now vocal performance major in college, but she will always be that sweet little girl singing The Pass. Yet another gift Rush gave me.

great story !

The Pass was a very good friend's favorite song. I never let him know I saw the tears roll down his cheek as RUSH played the song here in Atlanta. Unfortunately, it didn't have the same impact on him as it did you. Several years later, he "slammed the door" on all of us. I'm glad you found it in yourself to keep the door open for all of us.

How Tragic. :(

((HUGS))

It's a terrible thing to be left behind in that situation.

Here's the short version.

Been dealing with depression on and off since 2010-2011 when I was in high school. When I first listened to The Pass, I was like..."holy shit, Neil knows EXACTLY what me and other sufferers go through." Whether its being depressed over being bullied, feeling like you're a failure, that you'll never amount to anything, feeling like you're this worthless waste of space that's better off dead.....People who have depression all feel a combination of those things.

Whenever I start to feel like nothing, I always remind myself "Turn around and walk the razor's edge, don't turn your back and slam the door on me."

I guess I should go more into detail on why now I decided to post NOW that The Pass saved my life.

I have no problem with people who have millions of dollars, I have no problem with people who party a lot and bang a lot of hot girls, and I don't think there is anything wrong with a guy living a hedonistic, self-indulgent lifestyle because he has a lot of money and flaunting it.

However, I do not approve of using that status as a weapon to shit on everyone else's lives and making them feel like they're less than shit because they don't have 100 million bucks and have huge mansions and bang a million broads a day. That is a surefire way of making someone more "average" feel like they're life is shit and they'd be better off dead. And give them the desire to "slam the door on me"

But now, I hold fast to the belief that whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger. And this time, I managed to turn around and walk the razor's edge.

Don't ever let envy get the best of you, and never let anyone make you feel bad over what you don't have. Believe it or not, you're far better off than those excessively wealthy people you speak of. Whenever I'm feeling low, I do something nice for someone else, and am uplifted by the warmth and good feeling I've created for them. This can be as simple as going out of your way to hold the door open for an elderly person or smiling and winking at a baby and seeing him/her smile back at you. And this is the answer to the question "Why are we here?" It is to enhance one other's lives and create good feelings for each other. Such feelings can not be bought or sold, and some of the wealthiest people alive have no idea what I am talking about.

“My parents were always very, very generous,” he continued. “They couldn’t afford much, but they were always very generous. I learned very early that it feels really good to help somebody else. A lot of times it feels better than getting help yourself and now that we’re in a position to do something and have been for awhile, it only makes sense. It’s a duty, really, that we all have to help the less fortunate.”

Read More: Alex Lifeson Talks Rehearsing for Rush’s ‘R40 Live’ Tour: ‘We’re Nuts’ | http://ultimateclass...ackback=tsmclip

Edited by Empty Mindless Spectre

Atwas (my first intro to Rush) helped me through a very dark period back in '78/79. It was so positive and powerful- both in message, and sonically-speaking. It really was therapeutic to me.

Is your handle on this forum related to that? Like a symbolic ascension of your spirit, in '79?

Yes, it is. I used to stargaze during this same period where I remember where the constellation Gemini (my sign) would "rise" from the eastern horizon. Its all tied in there...the trees with the starry background too is something special to me. Good observation btw :)

• Like 1