Rush Songs I Hate

LedRush

"how it is"

Bradley Ard

Such a happy sounding song, but with some seriously dark and deep lyrics. It speaks to me on a lot of different levels.

·

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

Steven Hunter

These are maybe the sweetest lyrics Neil ever penned. So beautiful and so deeply personal! I love this song.

·

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

Those guys are right. Great song with powerful lyrics, a nice melody, and an effective juxtaposition of the two.

• Like 1

I discovered Rush when I was a HS sophomore and 'Signals' came out; I heard 'New World Man' on the radio and had to click on 'Do You Want to Know More?' :) NWM is still one of my very favorite songs and a perfect 3 minute capsule of what Rush is all about...a great way to introduce a non-prog fan to the band.

So I got Signals and loved it, then worked backwards and loved everything except the first three albums.

However, going forward I bought every album (save Power Windows) as it was released, and while there are lesser songs (and Counterparts) here and there, each album has some gems (except Counterparts) that represent a time, place and emotion for me.

-Grace Under Pressure.....coming off of Signals and the back catalog, I still liked some of this album at the time of release and DEW is an amazing track. Aside from that, so much of the album I just never cottoned to after many fair listens, especially Red Sector A (sorry Geddy). From my collection, this is my second least listened to album.

-Power Windows.....I didn't buy this until years later, but my brother got it on release and he'd crank Mystic Rhythms over and over. Honestly I didn't discover this record until I heard A Show of Hands a couple of years later. This one took a long time to grow on me.

-Hold Your Fire....I was in college during this period, and this album is so atmospheric that it froze a lot of moments in time in a good way. Having said that, I never liked Prime Mover (just doesn't go anywhere IMO) and Tai Shan is just not strong.

-A Show of Hands.....remarkable. Got the videotape too at the time and just LOVED this live set. Marathon??? Wow. (goes and hijacks brother's Power Windows record)

-Presto.......wow, what happened to their sound? While clean, it was really light in the pocket. The funny part is that I liked almost every tune! I also saw them on this tour for the first time so there's that. I also still think Presto is a remarkable song and I was so glad to hear it when I saw them on the Time Machine tour; no one was cheering louder than me :)

-Roll the Bones......sounds like sides 3 and 4 of Presto, but with more duds. The Big Wheel, Neurotica, and RTB I do not care for.

-Counterparts...think I've made my point earlier....

-Test for Echo.....Virtuality and Resist I do not like, but I like the rest of it. Neil's DVD A Work in Progress also really bolstered my appreciation for this album.

-Different Stages.....2112 live and Bravado just leap off this CD as brilliant. Honestly I don't really listen to much else on it.

-Vapor Trails.....ahhhh, recorded or mixed too hot!! (thank GOD for the remix...salvation!) BUT, overall I liked a lot of the songs here and the album ends for me at Earthshine.

-Feedback.....fun EP, very garage-band vibe and I like their covers of The Seeker and Summertime Blues better than the originals. But honestly I do not listen to the other tracks much at all as those are songs I didn't care for before either.

-Snakes and Arrows....this one has some strong cuts, especially the first 'side' (less the Larger Bowl), but very spotty after that. This CD is therefore low in my Rush rotation.

-Clockwork Angels.....A very strong album with only a tune here or there that I like LESS than the others (BU2B I do tend to skip, though). Great concept. Production could have been better but that's another thread :)

Edited by Lieutenant Dan
  • Like 2

Let me dust of my copy of Clockwork Angels and listen to it again...

I'm just kidding, I'll never listen to it again.

Dislike- Does not = H8

I first began listening to RUSH before I really knew the full extent of what they were all about, musically ... I was just a kid who found certain bands appealing - and RUSH appealed to me because Geddy's voice was completely unique and their music made me feel the same way bands like KISS, Thin Lizzy and Led Zeppelin made me feel ... as a kid of 9 or 10, I didn't understand it, I just knew I liked it ...

So for a few years, I had this bond with this oddball band who had a unique singer that could have been male or female, and rocked as hard as any other band out there ...

A huge part of that bond was lost around 1981-82, and by Grace Under Pressure, I have to admit that RUSH completely lost me ..

I love them, and always will ... But I would be lying if I said that I like ALL their music from all eras ...

I think a true fan will stick with the band thru think and thin - but that doesn't mean we must love everything that they do ...

Not sure if this answers the question, but . . .

Same experience exactly except replace Thin Lizzy with Aerosmith. LZ, Rush and Aerosmith were my kid holy trinity. They mostly lost me with Signals, went further with GUP, and with PoW it was over. These last few years I've tried hard to like the post-MP stuff with partial success. I don't think I'll ever really appreciate PoW through CP, though I no longer begrudge the people that do. Actually, I only see some of the material as being "bad" (some of the stuff from Presto through CP is terrible, though there's plenty of good stuff too), it's just not my thing I don't think it ever will be. I do like a lot of material from VT on though MP and earlier they were so awesome they'll never touch that again. In fairness though, if LZ has kept making albums those would have never touched their prime stuff either. Same for Pink Floyd, and Aerosmith of course has been an awful parody of themselves. At least Rush didn't become anything like later Aerosmith. They've retained their integrity, and more, making some great stuff lately even if it isn't PeW.

Funny stuff. You reminded me that originally, I was confused about Signals when it came out. I expected another exciting, high spirited album, but remember feeling confused/disappointed. It was rather downbeat and had a sort of somber feel to it. They kinda recouped with the electric/mid-80's-style-futuristic P/G album that I still love. Anyway, Signals grew on me and I consider it one of their finest efforts. A real gem.

That it is! :) :cheers:

• Like 1

There is so few I truly dislike. I mean just truly go "huh...what a dud.

Madrigal - pure unadulterated crapfest

Anagram (For Mongo) - blech

Rivendell - zzzzzzzz.....zzzzzzzzzz....zzzzzzz

Those three songs are just dreadful mis-steps and they have about 4 others I never listen to......ever. That's pretty amazing considering their vast catalog.

There has always been a clear divide with Rush fans who left them after Signals and those that stuck with them and admired their mid 80's work as sometimes brilliant, always ambitious and certainly a change of pace.

It has never changed. And those that lost touch with the band after Signals....I totally get it. I was not a pioneer Rush fan (too young to be). I was born out of the Moving Pictures generation and worked backwards in the catalog and went forward with Signals. Which was different even for me since I plunged myself into their back catalog in 1981 before Signals was released. But I think Grace Under pressure was the true "jumped the shark" album for old school Rush fans who love their COS and what not. They moved on as did the band.

No one will ever be able to convince a pioneer Rush fan that Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows and Hold Your Fire are great albums. Just like they will never be able to ever tell me that it sucks and it is pure shite and an embarrassment for the band.

Quite the contrary I think the period of Waves through Hold Fire has aged incredibly and holds up so much stronger than the first 3 albums of their career which are some of the weakest in their catalog for my taste. Lot's of nostalgia fills those albums with some moments of complete unbridled power and brilliance.

I love every album they have done for various reasons (and songs). Color me pink. But this band is just that good.

Now things got a little more hit and miss starting with Presto for some fans. As they did for me too. Most of the songs I don't listen to came out of the Rush-COS period and the Presto-VT period. But all these albums have so many high points too.

Yeah I am a f***ing proud die hard Rush fan.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 3

I do not at all like Stick It Out.
  • Like 1

Never liked the word hate. However, I do have a few RUSH songs I DISLIKE such as quite a few from S&A. Never liked the album and still don't.
  • Like 1

Any Rush song, even Fountain and Hemispheres, is more enjoyable than, say, Problem or Happy or something.

:goodone: Those songs are garbage.