To Stand, or Not to Stand

Godot

I was going to open a new thread (tell me if I should!) but maybe you all can help this newbie here! I ended up with Row 16 tickets on the floor in Philly for Darling Husband and self. Haven't been to a concert in a while and didn't stop to think whether everyone in front of us will be standing the whole time or not. DOES the floor pretty much stand the whole time, do you think? I was so excited by the tour news and quick ticket sale that I kind of ignored that I have a chronic health condition causing muscular problems from time to time. Don't think I can stand for 3 hours- if it is all standing, I had better sell these and find some tickets in the side bowl. . . .

It's perfectly fine to sit and chill out during the show. Went with my sis back during the first leg of SA 7row and she had to take a seat for a for minutes as her feet/legs couldn't hold up that long. I just asked her why and left it at that. She still enjoyed the show even if she had to take a break on the weary body for a short time.

For me it really depends on the band, the crowd ( are they standing/sitting ) and the location of the seats.

My most recent shows, Motley Crue, Black Sabbath - sit? NO

• Like 1

I only ask because I have a seat that's literally 2 rows away from the main floor. There will be so much hype in front of me that I'd feel robbed if everyone around me were sitting and I couldn't stand and rock out. I've heard horror stories about people who stood and people behind them who wanted to sit and got pissed off.

I nearly punched a guy in the face for telling me to sit down once. He literally pushed me physically to the point where I nearly fell forward into the crowd, and told me, very rudely to sit down.

Were you threatened?

No, but I did find it pretty rude of him to put his hands on my like that and literally command me to sit down. I mean, it was MOTLEY CRUE, how the hell can you not stand up to Motley Crue?! Looking back, I totally regret not at least opening my mouth and telling him to chill the f**k out. People go to rock concerts to have a good time, not just sit there like a f***ing chud and just watch.

dude, I'd have security put his ass out. no one's gonna ruin my time, and I will gladly ruin someone else's if they try to ruin mine.

• Like 1

Don't stand in the upperbowl. People will get mad at you. I had a beer dumped on my head during Tom Sawyer in Edmonton when I stood up and started air drumming.

Hey I ran into you, or someone right near you, in line at Vancouver in 2013!

I only ask because I have a seat that's literally 2 rows away from the main floor. There will be so much hype in front of me that I'd feel robbed if everyone around me were sitting and I couldn't stand and rock out. I've heard horror stories about people who stood and people behind them who wanted to sit and got pissed off.

I nearly punched a guy in the face for telling me to sit down once. He literally pushed me physically to the point where I nearly fell forward into the crowd, and told me, very rudely to sit down.

Were you threatened?

No, but I did find it pretty rude of him to put his hands on my like that and literally command me to sit down. I mean, it was MOTLEY CRUE, how the hell can you not stand up to Motley Crue?! Looking back, I totally regret not at least opening my mouth and telling him to chill the f**k out. People go to rock concerts to have a good time, not just sit there like a f***ing chud and just watch.

Well,

If he put his hands on you like that I can see your point. That would pi** me off as well!!

At a Rush show? Stand, if at all possible. Rock out too!

Again, unless there is someone who is infirm, or really short, or some such. And even then, an accomodation can usually be reached.

Also, aim for back row seats, or seats at the end of a row (and if you are short/don't care to stand, try and get a frontish row seat).

I was going to open a new thread (tell me if I should!) but maybe you all can help this newbie here! I ended up with Row 16 tickets on the floor in Philly for Darling Husband and self. Haven't been to a concert in a while and didn't stop to think whether everyone in front of us will be standing the whole time or not. DOES the floor pretty much stand the whole time, do you think? I was so excited by the tour news and quick ticket sale that I kind of ignored that I have a chronic health condition causing muscular problems from time to time. Don't think I can stand for 3 hours- if it is all standing, I had better sell these and find some tickets in the side bowl. . . .

It's all standing, but people take breaks past the first 15 rows...especially when the synth stuff comes out.

• Like 1

When I saw Dream Theater last year, I was standing for the whole show, like most of the people in the first 10 rows on the floor. I was rocking out and waving and acting like a jackass for the first 2 (EPIC!) songs, and when I deigned to sit down for a second during the slow start up for the 3rd song, the guy behind me told me I was not allowed to sit down XD

I've never been to a Rush show where everyone wasn't standing. Apart from the odd person here or there. Definitely not in the first 20 rows or so Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch

You don't have to stand to have a good time. I never get the greatest seats anyway, but I still rock out and air drum to every song, I do the 2112 "Hey!"s and The Spirit of Radio clapping. If everyone around you is sitting, then you should probably do the same, but you can still have fun with it! :)
  • Like 1

On the floor, everybody stands. If you're in an upward-sloping seated section, whether it's the permanent sections of arenas or the balconies of amphitheaters, chances are most people will be sitting, and you'll have to as well. When in Rome...

Alas, there are plenty of people who stand no matter what. They have zero consideration for others. They care only about themselves, so they expect all of Rome to be like them.

I would normally say on the floor you have no choice but to stand, if you want to see. If your legs tire and you have to take a short sit during a song it's not the end of the world, but you may not be able to see a thing. I would say for the lower bowl, at least the closest sections that it is also acceptable to stand or sit, but those sitting don't have much right to complain to those standing. If you want to sit you are better off to sit further back where your less likely to have someone in your way.

I have been hassled for standing at lower bowl seats for many bands, including Aerosmith, Slayer, Audioslave, by the guy who wants to watch a rock show like it's TV and he is on the couch at home. I consider it a huge sign of respect to stand for a band. I personally can't stand sitting, it ruins a rock show for me. I have no idea what the guy mentioned above was thinking the audience at the Slayer concert would be like lol.

You don't have to stand to have a good time. I never get the greatest seats anyway, but I still rock out and air drum to every song, I do the 2112 "Hey!"s and The Spirit of Radio clapping. If everyone around you is sitting, then you should probably do the same, but you can still have fun with it! :)

No way!!

Not for me at least. Thats why I get an aisle seat. It frees me up and I don't bother any one. I do it my way at a rock concert. I am not there to hear a lecture. ;)

Edited by troutman

As stated every time this comes up, I just can't take standing up that long anymore. 35 years ago, sure, it was kinda what ya had to do if you were close... on the floor. I know, they have chairs on the floor now and no one cares and blah, blah. I never really put on a RUSH LP, er um, CD and.... got jiggy or had the urge to cut a rug. Alone or (God forbid) with anyone else. Especially with thousands of other men. I do understand that some have a greater need to release whatever it is that gets them so riled up but I tend to leave the clapping, standing, whistling, hollering for the end of the songs or at appropriate interactive moments. Also, while I do enjoy sitting back, eyes closed, enjoying some RUSH, a concert is a visual thing. I don't want my experience spoiled and don't want to spoil it for anyone around me either.

On the floor, everybody stands. If you're in an upward-sloping seated section, whether it's the permanent sections of arenas or the balconies of amphitheaters, chances are most people will be sitting, and you'll have to as well. When in Rome...

Alas, there are plenty of people who stand no matter what. They have zero consideration for others. They care only about themselves, so they expect all of Rome to be like them.

Thats a good point,

There are a lot of people who just don't give a rat's a** of those around them in many situations. I learned decades ago how to plan out my strategy for a rock concert. Who is the artist and what I might expect. I understood and respected those around me most of the time. If it's Rush I am standing most of the time. But I make sure I have an aisle seat. I am not going to sit during the concert. The only people who would give me a hard time are the security folks. But I always win in the end! :D

Edited by troutman
  • Like 1

I don't ever....my rest time is Neils solo...other than that...on my feet jamming along with the boys.

Never would have it any other way....ever. It's a rock concert...not an oprea.

• Like 2

When you go to a rock concert you have every right to sit or stand. What I never do is ask anyone to sitdown if i happen to be sitting. It's BS.

You paid for your ticket. A concert is something you can stand up and jam, dance and rock out to. If people expect people to sit at a rock show....your in the wrong place to sit. Go to the movies.

Sorry. Your too old. Find another hobby. Truth hurts. If you want to sit....get seats away from the floor and in the upper bowls. But down in the heat of the concert where people are getting the sheer power and force of Rush or whomever....people it is rock time.

I am 45. I stand at rock shows. If I sit...it's my choice. It means the music is not moving me and or inspiring me to rock. You want to sit and listen? Play a DVD or blueray. This is a live rock show.

I remember I went to Porcupine Tree at the Filmore (The Incident Tour) and it was a general admission show. However we were able to gain early entry and we decided to grab some theater seats in the front row but off the floor for the first set. Well for the first few tunes we were standing and rocking...immediatly people were screaming sit down, sit down...I was like WTF is wrong with these people? We moved down to the GA floor and had the greatest time as we moved right up to the front wall (only 3-4K people were there incredibly). But I can tell you if the show was packed and we were unable to do this....I would have been like "f**k you" I am standing and there is nothing your going to do about it.

Point is.....it's a rock show. Not a movie.

Now cell phone movie taking and picture taking blocking my view....that is another story....put your goddamn device away. Experieince it. Stop posting it on Facebook...look at me loook at me BS.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 3