How Will the NFL Punish the Patriots

LedRush

5 members have voted

1. 1. In the scenario outlined below, how should the Patriots be punished?

• A fine of 25,000, as the rule states, for the team or coach
    • A very large fine for the team or coach
    • Large Fine and loss of a low draft pick
    • Large Fine and loss of a high draft pick
    • Large Fine and loss of multiple draft picks
    • Large Fine and short suspension of Belichick
    • Large Fine and a 1 year suspension of Belichick
    • Large Fine, loss of draft pick(s) and a short suspension of Belichick
    • Large Fine, loss of draft pick(s) and a long suspension of Belichick
  2. 2. In the scenario outlined below, how should the Patriots be punished?

• A fine of 25,000, as the rule states, for the team or coach
    • A very large fine for the team or coach
    • Large Fine and loss of a low draft pick
    • Large Fine and loss of a high draft pick
    • Large Fine and loss of multiple draft picks
    • Large Fine and short suspension of Belichick
    • Large Fine and a 1 year suspension of Belichick
    • Large Fine, loss of draft pick(s) and a short suspension of Belichick
    • Large Fine, loss of draft pick(s) and a long suspension of Belichick
    • Goodell will perform fallatio on Kraft and apologize for allowing word of the investigation to leak

A decision has been made....

There will be 4 trials the Pats will endure:

Crossing the Desert.

The Unblinking Eye.

Wreck of the Hesperus.

And the final ordeal: The Paddling of the Swollen Ass, with paddles.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m20j17pBKl1r3ifxzo1_500.gif

They've gotten out of this foolish "scandal" what they wanted to get out of it already.

I know that Goodell is a sheath to Mr. Kraft's sword, but I don't think he manufactured this just to ensure that the Pats would have a better chance of winning the Super Bowl.

Goodell isn't part of "they." Nor is the NFL.

Crossing the Desert.

The Unblinking Eye.

Wreck of the Hesperus.

They've gotten out of this foolish "scandal" what they wanted to get out of it already.

I know that Goodell is a sheath to Mr. Kraft's sword, but I don't think he manufactured this just to ensure that the Pats would have a better chance of winning the Super Bowl.

ub talkin bout h8trs

WEEI rulz! :haz:

Crossing the Desert.

The Unblinking Eye.

Wreck of the Hesperus.

ub talkin bout h8trs

You, however, are most assuredly, "they."

Super Bowl 49 Champions baby! Brady picks up his third MVP!

Edited by Rick N. Backer

Crossing the Desert.

The Unblinking Eye.

Wreck of the Hesperus.

ub talkin bout h8trs

Yep, I'm they...and obviously I disagree with your assessment.

But still, you have to feel good for the WEEI audience...the end of that game has to be the happiest most of them felt since the end of forced busing.

• Like 1

Crossing the Desert.

The Unblinking Eye.

Wreck of the Hesperus.

ub talkin bout h8trs

Yep, I'm they...and obviously I disagree with your assessment.

But still, you have to feel good for the WEEI audience...the end of that game has to be the happiest most of them felt since the end of forced busing.

Credit where it's due. That was funny.

Edited by Rick N. Backer
  • Like 1

Well this poll is sort of dated now. Brady is the fall guy

4 months at $1000 a hour to conclude no real substantial proof? Real winner is Ted Wells.

In the Wells report Tom Brady's name appears 378 times

in the Wells report. Bill Belichick's name appears 32 times. If someone is going down, it's Brady.

4 months at $1000 a hour to conclude no real substantial proof? Real winner is Ted Wells.

in the Wells report. Bill Belichick's name appears 32 times. If someone is going down, it's Brady.

I'm sure Wells dreams about that all the time.

Read the report. It is much more damning than the initial headlines are making out. They conclude that Brady's explanations and assertions were "not plausible and contradicted by the evidence". They basically said he lied and covered up his wrongdoing. They also take him to talk for not cooperating with the investigation. And the evidence against McNally, who calls himself the "deflator" and, when pissed that Brady blamed him for not properly inflated balls, threatens to overinflate them to piss Brady off. He and the other staffer talk about deflating balls, and their texts make it pretty clear that Tom was completely aware of their efforts. That's why he gifted them signed balls, game worn jerseys and shoes.

Also, the report completely debunks the "science" explanation offered by Kraft. It debunks the report that the Pats balls were just a few ticks under normal (I think 9 of 12 balls were underinflated by 1-2 psi). It rips the credibility of McNally and Jastremsky.

It is a very bad report for Brady.

• Like 1

I think the punishment is that Bob Kraft will be forced to have two soirees for the league staff the week of the AFC Championship Game, and forced to double the number of Goodell's favorite hors d oeuvres served at each.
  • Like 3

Early talk is 2-4 games for Brady and some sort of fine for not getting full cooperation from the Pats, in addition to the general rule that an organization is responsible for what happens even if they didn't know about it.

Early talk is 2-4 games for Brady and some sort of fine for not getting full cooperation from the Pats, in addition to the general rule that an organization is responsible for what happens even if they didn't know about it.

Maybe Brady will send some nudies of Giselle to Goodell and he'll get off (pun intended) with no suspension.

2-4 games is nothing.

Wonder if Mr. Kraft is still demanding an apology.

Sean Peyton got a year suspension so should Brady and the $1 million fine and 3 draft picks.....you pick it as to what round. This harsh because dem PATRIOTS won another suspect Super Bowl. How dare them!

Sean Peyton got a year suspension so should Brady and the $1 million fine and 3 draft picks.....you pick it as to what round. This harsh because dem PATRIOTS won another suspect Super Bowl. How dare them!

Damned Watergate committee, impeaching Nixon because he had the audacity to win an election.

• Like 1

Damned Watergate committee, impeaching Nixon because he had the audacity to win an election.

Yup same damn thing......in the end I could care less....oh and have Kraft apologize to the Commish.

As I say in SOCN when people are talking about laws and bills, read the document yourself, not what people tell you about the document. I have to read this thing for myself, and I didn't get a chance today. I will say that if it is proved that Brady told McNally to deflate the balls, which is what I'm hearing is the case, it's immaterial whether Belichick also knew.

Indy Star columnist Greg Doyel is calling for an 8 game suspension for Brady.

As I say in SOCN when people are talking about laws and bills, read the document yourself, not what people tell you about the document. I have to read this thing for myself, and I didn't get a chance today. I will say that if it is proved that Brady told McNally to deflate the balls, which is what I'm hearing is the case, it's immaterial whether Belichick also knew.

I'd like to read it but it's 243 f***ing pages. Longer than the Constitution, 1% as long as Dodd-Frank.

• Like 2

I'd like to read it but it's 243 f***ing pages. Longer than the Constitution, 1% as long as Dodd-Frank.

The double-spaced pages and large font make it much longer than it actually is. At the very least read the executive summary and the part from what happened in the game to the investigation into the players.

It is definitely not proved that Brady told McNally to deflate the balls, so I'll end that suspense right there.

• Like 1

It is definitely not proved that Brady told McNally to deflate the balls, so I'll end that suspense right there.

Yep. Just read the executive summary. It covers pretty much everything.

The NFL has set their threshold at preponderance, so the language of "more probable than not" throughout the document is key. If the question is "Did the investigation prove Brady told anyone to do it? " or "Was Brady aware of it happening?", the answer is no if we use the criminal court standard or even the basic argument of "prove it". But this is not a criminal court. The league can and will punish Brady and the Patriots organization, in general.

Brady's punishment, in my opinion, will be less about his awareness and more about his lack of cooperation and the fact that his communication with the staff (which had not apparently occurred for months prior) spiked after the story broke. In other words, it's still the cover up that gets you in trouble. In the bigger picture, the league knows it didn't really prove much and is operating behind preponderance rather than absolute guilt. The only legitimate course of action is to institute measures to ensure this kind of thing can't happen again (I still have trouble believing sports leagues allow any level of preparation of the game balls to be in the hands of teams - of course they are all going to try to cheat at some point).

And, no, it won't be a full year. The Sean Payton/Saints situation was much more serious and about player safety. This is simply about Tom Brady's balls.

Yep. Just read the executive summary. It covers pretty much everything.

The NFL has set their threshold at preponderance, so the language of "more probable than not" throughout the document is key. If the question is "Did the investigation prove Brady told anyone to do it? " or "Was Brady aware of it happening?", the answer is no if we use the criminal court standard or even the basic argument of "prove it". But this is not a criminal court. The league can and will punish Brady and the Patriots organization, in general.

Brady's punishment, in my opinion, will be less about his awareness and more about his lack of cooperation and the fact that his communication with the staff (which had not apparently occurred for months prior) spiked after the story broke. In other words, it's still the cover up that gets you in trouble. In the bigger picture, the league knows it didn't really prove much and is operating behind preponderance rather than absolute guilt. The only legitimate course of action is to institute measures to ensure this kind of thing can't happen again (I still have trouble believing sports leagues allow any level of preparation of the game balls to be in the hands of teams - of course they are all going to try to cheat at some point).

And, no, it won't be a full year. The Sean Payton/Saints situation was much more serious and about player safety. This is simply about Tom Brady's balls.

Very rarely, if ever, is a criminal court's burden of proof thrust upon non-criminal proceedings. The report demonstrates that McNally and Jastremsky deflated balls due to Brady's wishes, but it doesn't have a smoking gun that league rules where deliberately broken by Brady. The report provides more than enough evidence that McNally and Jastremsky purposely deflated balls and that Brady blessed it with free schwag, and that Brady, McNally, and Jastremski all lied and that Brady and the Patriots were not fully cooperative in the investigation.