It was 34 years ago today!

greyfriar

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh597/greyfriar2112/John-Lennon-john-lennon-29017764-1920-1200_zps75715378.jpg

R.I.P. :rose:

• Like 1

I remember hearing about this on the news on television and then reading about it in the newspaper the next day. I was seven years old, and even then, I knew it was a big deal. I was aware that we had lost someone really remarkable.

:rose:

I remember that morning vividly. Waking up to my clock radio, the disc jockey announcing it, and the song they played immediately after was David Bowie's Ashes to Ashes.

Fitting since Fame is a duet between those two. I was only 2 months and 4 days old when this happened.

Speaking of which, Dimebag was killed by a crazed fan on the same day 10 years ago just like Lennon. On top of that, it's Jim Morrison's birthday. RIP to all 3.

Edited by invisible airwave

I heard about it on Monday Night Football. Howard Cosell made the announcement....

Did you happen to watch the game last night? They played the clip of the 1980 game as it was happening, with Howard Cosell giving the announcement.

I heard about it on Monday Night Football. Howard Cosell made the announcement....

Did you happen to watch the game last night? They played the clip of the 1980 game as it was happening, with Howard Cosell giving the announcement.

Wasn't interested in the game last night so I didn't see it. That moment is something I will never forget. I was 20 when it happened....

I heard it in school from a girl who was a big Beatles fan at the time. The whole school was shocked and it was the only conversational topic for days.

I obviously wasn't around when he died.But for me it seems so surreal and tragic for such a distinguished life to be snuffed out like a candle flame.All that talent, all that success. He was an individual who inspired an entire generation and left his mark on music in a way that permanently changed the entire scene.I may not be a fan of his solo work. I may not always find him endearing, as history records him. But his death, undeserved and a cruel reminder that even the greatest artists are mortal.One of the saddest deaths of the 20th Century. He may have been a man no more real than me or you, but his legacy still remains, and always will.
  • Like 2