Rush and The Runaways in 1977

YYZumbi

Apparently the band The Runaways hate Rush, because they think they was jerks to them. But I bet it is not true, I mean comon, Rush only seem to be 3 nice guys that is having fun and playing music!

They were in their early 20s,so it is entirely possible....anyway, this story has been doing the rounds for ages (apparently Joan Jett retaliated by peeing on Alexs guitar)

and to be fair, Rush have never denied it, so who knows?

• Like 1

They were in their early 20s,so it is entirely possible....anyway, this story has been doing the rounds for ages (apparently Joan Jett retaliated by peeing on Alexs guitar)

I have never heard of it untill today, so I have no idea to be honest. But have they ever said that they have done it?

I have never heard of it untill today, so I have no idea to be honest. But have they ever said that they have done it?

Not to my knowledge, but don't you think they would have been quick to deny it if it was a blatant lie?

Not to my knowledge, but don't you think they would have been quick to deny it if it was a blatant lie?

Thats true, but I just cant imagine Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart being jerks. :o They all seem to be such nice guys!

Thats true, but I just cant imagine Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart being jerks. :o They all seem to be such nice guys!

They WERE in their early 20s, and probably stoned half the time, and the Runaways WERE bad musically.

Besides, you can't say that you know them really......

• Like 3

They WERE in their early 20s, and probably stoned half the time, and the Runaways WERE bad musically.

Im not saying I know them...

If I said I know them, then I wouldent write They all seem to be such nice guys! I would instead write: They are all such nice guys!

You see the different?

Im not saying I know them...

If I said I know them, then I wouldent write They all seem to be such nice guys! I would instead write: They are all such nice guys!

You see the different?

Easy tiger.....

You're looking for offence that isn't there.....relax a bit, ok?

• Like 4

In the runaways defense. women playing music wasnt as respected as it is today. so there could have been some truth there..

And they weren't good on their instruments, and Rush always placed high value on musicianship.

There's been several topics on this in the past. If I were a betting man, I'd say that the boys did indeed tease the Runaways in a way they didn't appreciate.

You need to work on that imagination of yours, then. ;)

• Like 4

In the runaways defense. women playing music wasnt as respected as it is today. so there could have been some truth there..

And they weren't good on their instruments, and Rush always placed high value on musicianship.

There's been several topics on this in the past. If I were a betting man, I'd say that the boys did indeed tease the Runaways in a way they didn't appreciate.

If this did happen, I think it had to do with the music. I enjoy the Runaways, but musically they are as basic as you can get. I don't think any teasing happened because the Runaways are women. I bet Rush respects the hell out of someone like Joni Mitchell. She is a musicians musician.

Ged's response is pretty straightforward. I also think he's right.... The Runaways, particularly Joan Jett, had a chip on their shoulder. Frankly, I don't blame them for some of that. They were a basic rock band, but not much worse than a lot of the crap created in that era. I am sure they faced some pretty heinous misogyny. But the problem with having a chip on your shoulder is that you assume everyone is there to knock it off. And, well, you know what they say about assumptions.

Besides, is any of us surprised that, when faced with a group of women, the guys in Rush did not know how to act?! I mean, come on....

If Rush spent their time worrying about all the ridiculous fabrications written or said about them, that would be their full time job.

In the big picture, in a 40+ year history, we apparently have two "episodes" of the boys being bad. One, Alex on New Year's when he, his son, and the cops involved could have made better decisions. Two, this potential smite on another band. I mean, sure, there is also the great "Neil cheated while playing Dungeons and Dragons in Corpus Christi in 1976" rumor but that was all covered up and hush, hushed by the record company, you know?

I have no problem with thinking that the members of Rush can be pricks on occasion...especially when they were younger.

They're human beings...who hasn't been a prick at one time or another?

And don't say Gandhi or Jesus. I'm sure they had their moments too...

Edited by savagegrace26

Honestly, The Runaways f***ing suck. I hope Rush was mean to them! They didn't deserve to be on the same stage that Xanadu was being performed on haha

If Rush spent their time worrying about all the ridiculous fabrications written or said about them, that would be their full time job.

In the big picture, in a 40+ year history, we apparently have two "episodes" of the boys being bad. One, Alex on New Year's when he, his son, and the cops involved could have made better decisions. Two, this potential smite on another band. I mean, sure, there is also the great "Neil cheated while playing Dungeons and Dragons in Corpus Christi in 1976" rumor but that was all covered up and hush, hushed by the record company, you know?

There's also the incident where Alex was trying to get out of paying child support to his baby-child while simultaneously trying to get in the pants of another lady who had just had a baby (with someone else).

And when Alex kicked Geddy out of the band.

Of course, he was 17 at the time, and as SavageGrace says, everyone has been a dick from time to time...especially in their younger years.

And Geddy was a condescending and pretentious prick when talking about other musicians in the 1977-1980 time period.

And Neil continues to be one on a somewhat regular basis.

But I'd still be fairly confident in saying that Rush are among the classiest and least-drama filled guys in the music biz.

• Like 1