Rush, vrs Dave matthews band..

nicky6

I am sure there a lot of dMB fans here, sure I get it, they are very talented ect. A lot of people swear their drummer is better than neil and is the best drummer of all time. I heard it all. Dave never fails live, blah blah. I personally cant stand them. I think they are like cooperate college music. Rush to me is better. But I think they are way overrated as I feel the same about pearl jam too, and yes I been told that John mayer is a better guitar player than alex. go figure..

Don't care if there's some players out there better than our Rush players, i just think that those bands doesn't match what the trio can produce musically. Petrucci of Dream Theater could be better than Alex or take a more dominant role in his band, but i would take Rush best albums before the best of Dream Theater.
  • Like 2

Rush, obviously. The Dave Matthews band are not even that good. I've never understood why they're so popular and why they're considered to be so talented? I've never heard a good song from them and Dave Matthews voice is just terrible, one of the worst I've ever heard. They play the local amphitheater here almost every summer (20,000 capacity) and they usually sell it out. I just don't get the appeal at all.
  • Like 5

I dont either. but i know someone who swears they are the most talented band ever, and they never fail live. and thier drummer will wipe neil up ect. But i think neil will still win in most arguments as being more of a legacy and better drummer. Everyones hear d of neil when rush is mentioned. but people all say DMB drummer. but most people who say that cant even tell you his name.. Edited by nicky6

I really like DMB, but I don't understand why you'd be comparing the two bands. They are very, very different.

I love DMB's first 5 albums (including the EP), and they are an amazing live band with energy, spontaneity, and fun. Most of the band are great musicians, too.

But DMB seems to have petered out into boring sameness, having produced nothing interesting to me in the last 12 years or so. Rush always expanded and grew, and operates in a genre of music that I enjoy more. I'll pick Rush in a heartbeat, but that doesn't mean that DMB isn't (or at least wasn't) quite good.

• Like 2

I've never heard the DMB. And I don't care if they are better musicians than Rush—I don't listen to Rush because they are "the best"; I listen to them because I like them.
  • Like 2

I saw some live concert with them on TV one time and they all seem to be decent musicians. But in no way shape or form would I put them in the same category as Rush. Their songwriting is pretty sub-par as well. Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

always thought they were lame.

I'll go with this since I have really never heard them, at least not purposely if I even have^^^^....
  • Like 2

I'll go with this since I have really never heard them, at least not purposely if I even have^^^^....

Try the following:

All Along the Watchtower (live, off of "Recently")

Satellite (Under the Table and Dreaming)

Crash Into Me (Crash)

Say Goodbye (Crash)

Don't Drink the Water (Before These Crowded Streets)

Crush (Before These Crowded Streets)

Having said that, if you don't like the rock resurgence of the early-mid 90s, you won't like this (but then again, it probably means that you don't really like any mainstream rock from 1984 on, either.)

Edited by LedRush
  • Like 1

Try the following:

Crash Into Me (Crash)

Stay (Before These Crowded Streets)

Having said that, if you don't like the rock resurgence of the early-mid 90s, you won't like this (but then again, it probably means that you don't really like any mainstream rock from 1984 on, either.)

Thanks.....

DMB is repetitive jam band stuff. Far from clever.

Descent musicianship but that ain't all it takes.

yeah, I'm not into jam bands. I could go see phish or gov't mule and have a good time - they usually have some alright jams, and you have a chance of seeing some decent covers and scoring lots of drugs. and those umphrey's mcgee guys are ok I guess, but still, I can't really sit down and listen to any of these guys, especially not studio stuff.

I've tried really hard to get into the dead, but it ain't happenin. they have some cool live stuff though

cant stand blues travler. that runaround song has to be the most overplayed worst song ever. Its still played today here in philly like its new. Its almost 20 yrs old. Couldnt stand that wimpy song. A shame when there is so much better songs out there that never get heard...

Try the following:

Crash Into Me (Crash)

Say Goodbye (Crash)

Thanks.....

Edited, in case anyone actually looks into the songs.

cant stand blues travler. that runaround song has to be the most overplayed worst song ever. Its still played today here in philly like its new. Its almost 20 yrs old. Couldnt stand that wimpy song. A shame when there is so much better songs out there that never get heard...

That's a great pop song from the band. I prefer their earlier work, but this was the album that made them big, and they have their tongues firmly plated in cheeks on a lot of the lyrics...they're quite good.