Is Rush heavy metal?

1000ml

Or you take it back to the Yardbirds even..?

I think the first heavy metal song was The Kinks' You Really Got Me. It's reckoned to be the first heavy metal riff anyway.

Oh please, not even the Van Halen version is metal haha

We're talking about the origin of metal which basically started with blues and psychedelic rock with heavily distorted guitar.

But ya nowadays if it ain't Lamb of god and the like it ain't metal it seems!

• Like 2

The question we need to ask is when did heavy metal begin? In Narp's mind maybe with Iron Maiden? :musicnote:

My mind doesn't have a clue to be honest. All the posts I have read they all seem like blues based rock to me.... :huh:

So there's no such thing as as heavy metal then, it's all just an illusion? Maybe there's no such thing as hard rock, it's all just roots blues? :16ton:

It didn't take long to convince you. Guess we can all move on to something else now.... :) :outtahere:
  • Like 1

The question we need to ask is when did heavy metal begin? In Narp's mind maybe with Iron Maiden? :musicnote:

My mind doesn't have a clue to be honest. All the posts I have read they all seem like blues based rock to me.... :huh:

So there's no such thing as as heavy metal then, it's all just an illusion? Maybe there's no such thing as hard rock, it's all just roots blues? :16ton:

It didn't take long to convince you. Guess we can all move on to something else now.... :) :outtahere:

I said maybe... ;)

I said maybe... ;)

:LOL:

the classification of metal has changed so much over the past 40 years. maybe back when they first started out. i guess they're hard rock/hard prog overall.

The first heavy metal song was "Born To Be Wild" by Steppenwolfe. Were it not for a certain lyric in that song, the term heavy metal wouldn't exist. It' snot considered heavy metal any more, but it was the definition of the term when it first came out (probably along with The Kinks' "You Really Got Me Now").

The first heavy metal song was "Born To Be Wild" by Steppenwolfe. Were it not for a certain lyric in that song, the term heavy metal wouldn't exist. It' snot considered heavy metal any more, but it was the definition of the term when it first came out (probably along with The Kinks' "You Really Got Me Now").

I hear that a lot but I totally disagree. We're talking about the origin of metal music, not when the term was coined. Besides, Steppenwolfe was talking about a bike or some time of vehicle in that song, not music. It's totally unrelated. He just put the two words together just like a scientist would if he was talking about gold or lead..

I always thought Heavy Metal and Hard Rock were different things. Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Judas Priest, Metallica, Queensryche, etc. are Heavy Metal. Usually (not necessarily) ugly dudes with wild hair in black leather singing about Satan and bikes and the Apocalypse. So Rush is definitely not Heavy Metal. Hard rock is all those bands that like to rock out, loudly -- Aerosmith (classic, not the teen ballad band of later years), Van Halen (esp Women and Children First), AC/DC (though they are ugly dudes with wild hair who work a little Satan into their work), UFO, The Who when they're not being proggy, etc. Loud stuff but without the doom and leather character of Metal bands. "You Really Got Me" is much more a hard rock songs than a heavy metal song as I see it. Some bands blur the line a little, like the Scorpions, early Def Leppard (a foot in Hair Metal), early Kiss (not familiar with later Kiss), but I'd still think of them more as hard rock or small "m" metal bands than Heavy Metal a la the Lords of Metal, like Sabbath, Maiden, etc.

Not saying I'm right but that's how I've always seen it. So I don't see Rush as Heavy Metal at all, though there's a little of the small "m" metal early on and revived some on CA. They started out as straight hard rockers and morphed into prog metal through the '70s, but they have never been Heavy Metal. :finbar: .

I think we can ALL agree that this is metal. :haz:

1979657_1555814174647061_7504284692356084604_n.jpg

A typical metal head.....

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110910035309/beavisandbutthead/images/7/7a/Stewart.jpeg

• Like 1

^ I had a professor who claimed "The key to philosophy is the ability to make distinctions." I don't think he would be impressed by your suggestion. It would work well within 1984's "Newspeak" though.

^ I had a professor who claimed "The key to philosophy is the ability to make distinctions." I don't think he would be impressed by your suggestion. It would work well within 1984's "Newspeak" though.

Well philosophy teachers like to talk about shit. That's their job. Just call it music and spend more time listening to it instead of debating class distinctions.

If you say so, but why are you spending time on this thread instead of listening to "music"?

Interesting read, thanks for the link. I think that's probably a pretty good description of what drew me to Rush, even though I was oblivious to all of those details at the time. (I was just listening to music that I loved).

There classified as "heavy metal" on Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_heavy_metal_bands

I don't see what the big deal. If anything, they were definitely a huge influence on what would eventually become known as "heavy metal". They were pioneers and that crazy instrumental section in Under the Shadow sounds more like metal than almost anything else from the early 70's. Let them be metal.

• Like 1

They are (were) what used to be known as heavy metal but not what they call metal these days. Long before I had even heard about progressive music, I was a fan of Rush for their hard rock/heavy metal sound.

Yes. Before it branched off into all of these subgenres:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_heavy_metal_bands#See_also

Doesn't change the fact that Rush were once metal.

• Like 1