I finally "get" side 1 of Hemispheres

Pale Facsimile

This is the strangest post I've ever seen on the forum.

what's so strange about it?

It's not the discussion of the progression of his taste in Rush music; that's all fine and good...it's the inclusion of his self-image with regard to women, the mention of a rebound relationship with someone who he felt compelled to tell us all was an alcoholic...

It's just...absolutely bizarre.

you must be new.

Right...I've been on the forum for about two and a half years, and I've been a fan (to put it mildly) of Rush music for 35 years...

Yeah. I'm new. :eyeroll:

I know your not new, but I've been here 7 years and this isn't even a blip on my radar compared to some of the bizarre posts I've seen.

Like anything by Geddyfan13 involving Malk
  • Like 2

This is the strangest post I've ever seen on the forum.

what's so strange about it?

It's not the discussion of the progression of his taste in Rush music; that's all fine and good...it's the inclusion of his self-image with regard to women, the mention of a rebound relationship with someone who he felt compelled to tell us all was an alcoholic...

It's just...absolutely bizarre.

you must be new.

Right...I've been on the forum for about two and a half years, and I've been a fan (to put it mildly) of Rush music for 35 years...

Yeah. I'm new. :eyeroll:

I know your not new, but I've been here 7 years and this isn't even a blip on my radar compared to some of the bizarre posts I've seen.

:codger: :)

and somehow you've blown past my post count Narp :)

• Like 1

I'm the first to complain about production. Presto's never ever bothered me. I think Neil's drum sound on that record is freakin' awesome.

Mick

I don't hear anything missing and what I do hear is loud and clear.....

Yes, there is definitely clarity on that album. For the record, I like Presto.

The production on that album is not as bad as the production on the last few albums. It could be better but it doesn't stop me from listening to and liking the album.

• Like 1

I'm the first to complain about production. Presto's never ever bothered me. I think Neil's drum sound on that record is freakin' awesome.

Mick

I don't hear anything missing and what I do hear is loud and clear.....

Yes, there is definitely clarity on that album. For the record, I like Presto.

The production on that album is not as bad as the production on the last few albums. It could be better but it doesn't stop me from listening to and liking the album.

Only because you have fine taste... :)
  • Like 1

When I first heard this (1980 at the tender age of 16) I thought it was the greatest piece of music ever recorded and lyrically it was an escape / fantasy / story that was on the whole pretty good.

Years later and learning what the band went through to record it and their keeness to move on to newer pastures (eg Permenant Waves) I can totally understand why. As a pert time drummer in a part time band who has taken 2 hours and over 15 run through the Clash's "Should I stay or should I go", something like Hemispheres is just huge in terms of complexity, yet it still rocks.

In light of all that when I listen to it today I think... wow, here was a band that really wanted to push things musically as far as they could and they did it, recorded it and it still, today stands, for me, end to end one of the greatest "sides" of music ever recorded. In my own personal collection... Hemispheres, Suppers ready (Genesis) and Close to the Edge (Yes) are my top 3 Desert Island pieces of music... every time I hear them I think...1) Wow, that was brilliant and 2) Oh, ok, never heard that bit before (I have of course but there is so much going on in all these three tracks that there is something always new to appreciate. A truly magical time in Music,

• Like 7

In my own personal collection... Hemispheres, Suppers ready (Genesis) and Close to the Edge (Yes) are my top 3 Desert Island pieces of music

Excellent!

When I first heard this (1980 at the tender age of 16) I thought it was the greatest piece of music ever recorded and lyrically it was an escape / fantasy / story that was on the whole pretty good.

Years later and learning what the band went through to record it and their keeness to move on to newer pastures (eg Permenant Waves) I can totally understand why. As a pert time drummer in a part time band who has taken 2 hours and over 15 run through the Clash's "Should I stay or should I go", something like Hemispheres is just huge in terms of complexity, yet it still rocks.

In light of all that when I listen to it today I think... wow, here was a band that really wanted to push things musically as far as they could and they did it, recorded it and it still, today stands, for me, end to end one of the greatest "sides" of music ever recorded. In my own personal collection... Hemispheres, Suppers ready (Genesis) and Close to the Edge (Yes) are my top 3 Desert Island pieces of music... every time I hear them I think...1) Wow, that was brilliant and 2) Oh, ok, never heard that bit before (I have of course but there is so much going on in all these three tracks that there is something always new to appreciate. A truly magical time in Music,

:goodone:

You just made my Christmas card list.

• Like 1

It is absolutely perfect from start to finish.

Now playing it for the third time today in a row, along with the rest of the album.

Woop woop! Happy, blessed day right here for Segue Myles people!!

• Like 3

Now playing it for the third time today in a row, along with the rest of the album.

No passing out here!

http://i.perezhilton.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/rachel_berry_waking_up_gifs.gif

No passing out here!

http://i.perezhilton.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/rachel_berry_waking_up_gifs.gif

I tried but failed to not pass out

• Like 1